Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe Newbie
Maybe Newbie
Hello All!

I decided to drop in here and check out the forum. I thought I had been a member here before for a short time a while back, but my email queries rendered a decisive "NO, we don't know you from Adam." kind of response from the system.

So anyway, here I am, officially, a brand spanking new NEWBIE!!!!

I am a life-long atheist and non-religious type who has nonetheless taken time and effort going to various religious groups and places to develop awareness and understanding of religion and theism.

Looking forward to interesting conversations with people who better fit my basic philosophical starting point and critical reasoning habits.

See you around!
RE: Maybe Newbie
Hello. I'm interested in religions and mythology.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Welcome, I would like to point out that you joined the forum on 4/20, at 4:20 (at least in my time zone).
Welcome aboard! In all seriousness, I wonder what you were looking for when investigated various religions. I don't mean to mock you for it. I also take the fact of religion on face value as an important cultural phenomenon to understand in order to understand the human condition.

In a lighter vein, I think I speak for everyone when I say how attractive you are and how much we all look forward to seeing more of you. To that end you might investigate Area 69. Wink
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hello, Newbie.

If the system doesn't know you then you are indeed a Newbie.
Hi there!
(April 20, 2014 at 2:12 pm)whateverist Wrote: Welcome aboard! In all seriousness, I wonder what you were looking for when investigated various religions. I don't mean to mock you for it. I also take the fact of religion on face value as an important cultural phenomenon to understand in order to understand the human condition.

In response to your question, whateverist, I have always been a very curious and observant person. I love exploring things, especially systems, and human systems in particular. I take great interest in philosophy the influence of it's many forms throughout human history.

As a child, I knew no one who thought the way I did. I was born into a world of religious, theistic people whose systems of dogma and rituals informed people and cultures at their foundations. That interests me. What also interested me is that people tended to read their respective holy books in a highly subjective fashion if they read them at all, taking that which fit what they liked and ignoring the rest, regardless of evidence of need for more critical examination.

Visiting churches and religions and reading religious holy books was simply another deliberately chosen part of my education in childhood. The first rule of winning or doing well is to know who and what you are dealing with.

If someone is a theist or religious than that is part of who they are as a person; how their mind works, and how they live their lives. We all live and work in this world with the rest of humanity, even more so for a person like me who works in the social sciences. Thus, such exploration was certainly beneficial for my personal life and my work.

Highly-informed, well-informed people are well-armed and for them, the sky is the limit.

MissionPossible
Welcome!
Hiya and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3271 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 827 September 9, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 911 September 9, 2022 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Lucian
  Hi from a newbie here TrueNorth 16 1226 August 10, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Another newbie:) Agnostic1 7 912 November 18, 2021 at 10:12 am
Last Post: T.J.
  I'm a newbie here..😉 KittyAnn 58 7710 November 7, 2017 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Bug a confused newbie Katia81 19 1698 April 6, 2017 at 6:49 am
Last Post: Sal
  Hello from another newbie Organic Machine 33 4730 May 17, 2016 at 4:10 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  free of religion, free of lies (maybe) dragonfly19981 12 2089 December 3, 2015 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Hi, I'm a newbie! Cherry 31 4594 September 14, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie