Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to respond to "God bless you" statements
How to respond to "God bless you" statements
No, I'm not talking about sneezing (again).

I live in a major city, and there are a fair number of people on the streets who are down on their luck, and asking for money. Not surprising, given the economy. Since I'm doing well in my career, I have extra money that I can afford to give away as charity, so I'll frequently give me spare change away to those who obviously need it more than I do. They're always appreciative, and after thanking me, many of them will say "God bless you" or something similar.

In the past, I've usually ignored this, but as I'm becoming more engaged in atheism (as opposed to just passively not believing in any gods and not really doing anything about it), I'm thinking that I should respond to these statements, and let these people know I'm an atheist. I'm not talking about any sort of preaching, or trying to convert them. I just want a quick, polite statement to let them know I don't believe in their god, just to introduce the concept of being good without god. If we want to end the discrimination against atheists, I really believe this is the type of activism that will do it.

Any suggestions for a succinct, polite response?
That's MISTER Godless Vegetarian Tree Hugging Hippie Liberal to you.
RE: How to respond to "God bless you" statements
I'd take it as just a saying. There's no telling if they just mean it as another way of saying thank you, or if they're actually religious. Now if you want to take someone to a cafe and chat with them, and the subject comes up, go ahead and talk about it. If you're just dropping some change on your way to whatever, just say you're welcome.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yeah.. I thought about that before... im not better than them, but I think their lives are tuff and if thats the only thing that they cling to, I dont mind..
(April 21, 2014 at 1:57 pm)Fromper Wrote: Any suggestions for a succinct, polite response?
Smile and nod? It doesn't strike me as much different from "farewell" or "good luck" as a sendoff.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
If I don't know the person I use Tonus' technique.

If I know the person I reply "No thank you". Most people leave it alone with a look of mild disgust or roll of the eyes. The few that have tried to press the issue quickly run into something along the lines of: "I don't need help from the shitty engineer that fucked up the design in the first place".
Well, I've mostly just said "You're welcome" in the past (assuming they say "Thank you" first, which most of them do) and ignored the God talk.

Like I said, I'm mostly thinking in terms of trying to spread the message that atheists can be good people, not to convert anyone, and certainly not to get into a debate. If they want to believe in some religion, that's their business. Given all the discrimination against atheists, I'm just shooting for a grass roots "Look! We're good people, too!" approach to help win over the general public.

I'm thinking in response to the typical "Thank you and God bless you", I could just respond with "You're welcome, but I don't believe in God", and then keep walking.

I guess this makes me a "new atheist":
[Image: original.jpg]
[Image: original.jpg]
That's MISTER Godless Vegetarian Tree Hugging Hippie Liberal to you.
I think the one you suggest is a good one. I usually just smile and say, "Thanks, but I'm an atheist." And leave it at that.

I agree that spreading the message that atheists walk among the religious and are good people without their crutch is important. I do many, many altruistic and charitable things. While I don't shove my atheism in anyone's face, usually the "God" aspect comes up sooner or later and I have the opportunity to gently point out my non-believer status. It's much more effective that way. Some people are downright shocked that atheists can be good, giving, altruistic people. I love shocking them.
If they're just using the phrase as conversational punctuation, best to ignore it. If they really want to save what they see as your soul, say something like "please don't patronise me", or "I'm fine with you believing that stuff, but please pay me the courtesy of not pretending it's real. If that's too much to ask, then at least try not to include me in the fantasy, ok?"
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I either ignore it, state with certainty that I am an atheist and it has no meaning to me, or if I feeling a little pernicious I will state And Satan bless you.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Yeah, back in the day I've been known to say "sorry, I'm a Satanist" to street preachers. That's why my Sam would grab my arm and steer me away from them, if she saw them first.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9402 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Closing statements before leaving again for semester. Mystic 31 3872 January 6, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  How to respond to "prove God doesn't exist" Help? dragonman73 11 3038 April 8, 2016 at 4:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Proving God in 20 statements smfortune 211 24767 April 6, 2016 at 6:50 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  What do you respond to this? marianomanto 28 4796 October 3, 2015 at 7:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How would you respond to these common theist statements? TheMonster 21 5286 July 5, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Regina
  how to respond to dad's "shabbat shalom"? dreamsofpotato 21 8152 February 18, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  How do you respond to this statement? taylor93112 59 21593 August 4, 2013 at 9:49 am
Last Post: The Meritocrat