Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you respond to this?
What do you respond to this?
"What those fanatics do is not true Catholicism/Islam/etc. They are misinterpreting the texts, any religion well studied will lead you to peace."

Dodgy
RE: What do you respond to this?
If I remember correctly, Jesus liked talking about his sword, and Mohammed just skipped the dumb and said kill 'em all, so it's the moderates who ain't doing it truly.
Jesus also said "Blessed are the peacemakers" and "by their fruits shall you know them." I agree with the idea that careful study and a life of piety make people more compassionate. Those who read only the surface will either cherrypick the verses that match their own inclinations or reinforce their incredulity. But the deeper currents change a persons life for the better.
(October 2, 2015 at 8:32 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Jesus also said "Blessed are the peacemakers" and "by their fruits shall you know them." I agree with the idea that careful study and a life of piety make people more compassionate. Those who read only the surface will either cherrypick the verses that match their own inclinations or reinforce their incredulity. But the deeper currents change a persons life for the better.

Don't tell me, you're not cherrypicking. Otherwise you'd have to buy the whole Package. Including the OT, which isn't so much about peacemakers, unless you understand it the Dirty Harry way. You'd also have to buy the bringing a sword quote as well as the one about not having come to abolish the law but to fulfill.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 2, 2015 at 7:57 am)marianomanto Wrote: "What those fanatics do is not true Catholicism/Islam/etc. They are misinterpreting the texts, any religion well studied will lead you to peace."

Dodgy

Where there's a will, there's a fucktard.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Kim Davis is a half assed bigot. In Russia they arrest gays. And don't claim Russia is an atheist country, Putin used the same line Christians did here for a long time " We are all God's Children "

And in the east the state murders gays or mobs throw them off rooftops. I am glad liberals and moderates cherry pick, but they are not the ones doing what their holy books demand word for word.
No true Scotsman nonsense. To end up with peace from such books as the bible and Quran, you have to find ways to ignore almost all of it. In that case, why you're bothering with it at all is seriously in question.

If I had to design religions which are deliberately trying to avoid peace, I couldn't do much better than these two.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I say those who say others are misinterpreting the texts are themselves not immune to the same criticism.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(October 2, 2015 at 7:57 am)marianomanto Wrote: "What those fanatics do is not true Catholicism/Islam/etc. They are misinterpreting the texts, any religion well studied will lead you to peace."

Dodgy

No true scotsman fallacy. I'm quite confident that both christian groups would say the others are not true christians, and would be able to back up their ideas with bible verses. That's the problem with the bible. You can have two diametrically opposed groups using the same book to justify dramatically different views.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

As others have said, this is what is meant by the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. For common fallacies like this one, RationalWiki usually has a very good analysis.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9306 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How to respond to "prove God doesn't exist" Help? dragonman73 11 2992 April 8, 2016 at 4:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How would you respond to these common theist statements? TheMonster 21 5226 July 5, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Regina
  how to respond to dad's "shabbat shalom"? dreamsofpotato 21 8117 February 18, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  How to respond to "God bless you" statements Fromper 40 8047 April 25, 2014 at 6:19 am
Last Post: BlackSwordsman
  How do you respond to this statement? taylor93112 59 21502 August 4, 2013 at 9:49 am
Last Post: The Meritocrat