Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you respond to this statement?
How do you respond to this statement?
"There are many questions we wont have answers to."
Or
"I have faith that god sees the bigger plan".

I'm sick of hearing these when talking to religious people. What is the best response to these statements?
RE: How do you respond to this statement?
Why talk to religious people?
- C. Neron
My entire family and extended family are all Christian. Kind of hard to avoid the subject.
Ask them how things like this fit into the "bigger plan."

[Image: starving_baby.jpg]
"There are many questions we wont have answers to."
Then leave the answering to those that do.

I don't.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 25, 2013 at 7:34 pm)taylor93112 Wrote: "There are many questions we wont have answers to."
Or

I'm sick of hearing these when talking to religious people. What is the best response to these statements?
"Actually, with the right tools, we can answer just about any question."

and

"Well, that's great, but there are children starving in Africa right now, and God's great big plan isn't helping them any."
(June 25, 2013 at 7:34 pm)taylor93112 Wrote: "There are many questions we wont have answers to."
Or

Helen Keller - who was born deaf, dumb and blind - said:

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do."

No one who is born without such disabilities should feign helplessness or claim a task too great if they have not actually applied themselves to it. The eagerness of so many Christians to acquiesce to God, to abdicate all initiate and to feign humility is what I despise more than anything else about that religion. Luckily there are also examples of admirable Christians.
I could answer: Argue
(rant mode) If God is all mighty, he could make it so that he didn't need such a cruel plan to begin with. Why teach you to be humble by making you starve? He could just feed you and make you humble all at once. If he has all the answers, he could share some information so his kids learn something, unless he wants them to remain stupid. And if you think it's because he knows that we wouldn't understand because we have limited intelligence, he could just make it so we could understand. And if you think he doesn't do that because he thinks we would be bold and try to be better than him, he could make it so that it was impossible to be better than him and that we never wanted to do that period. Duh.

Or I could answer: FUCK YOU.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
I don't.

If people want to live in ignorance, fuck em. Only when they try to inflict that ignorance on me and mine do I care.
(June 25, 2013 at 7:44 pm)taylor93112 Wrote: My entire family and extended family are all Christian. Kind of hard to avoid the subject.

My entire family is religious. Part of my husband's family is religious. My friends are religious. I still manage not to discuss it with them. It's very doable if you make an effort. Try it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9399 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  General statement to theists who read this. Brian37 24 3370 April 11, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Jeanne
  How to respond to "prove God doesn't exist" Help? dragonman73 11 3029 April 8, 2016 at 4:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What do you respond to this? marianomanto 28 4788 October 3, 2015 at 7:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How would you respond to these common theist statements? TheMonster 21 5282 July 5, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Regina
  how to respond to dad's "shabbat shalom"? dreamsofpotato 21 8150 February 18, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Your opinion on the following statement: Mudhammam 42 9284 January 13, 2015 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
Question Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Mudhammam 29 5442 August 22, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Goosebump
  How to respond to "God bless you" statements Fromper 40 8205 April 25, 2014 at 6:19 am
Last Post: BlackSwordsman
  An intresting statement Gooders1002 23 8486 February 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: genkaus