Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to respond to "prove God doesn't exist" Help?
How to respond to "prove God doesn't exist" Help?
Hi New member, 

Been an atheist for a few years now, but I am stumped.  I'm asking for evidence of a God on another group and keep getting hit back with "prove God's NOT real"

I know you can't prove a negative, and it's aggravating me lol.  

I simply explained the burden of proof lies on the person making the claim something exists. It's up to them to provide evidence of a God (I know they can't prove that) and I think they are trying to flip the script out of desperation.

Just a little help here
RE: How to respond to "prove God doesn't exist" Help?
I would tell them I don't have the time or patience to prove the non existence of every god, or other supernatural being, that anyone has ever thought of existing. The only difference between me and a christian, or a muslim, is that among the countless gods that have been worshiped in history, I just go one god further than they do.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Just ask them ""Which god doesn't exist, please?"
Your Logical Fallacy is:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof
"I'm thick." - Me
Hello. Welcome!

Getting them to define what they even mean by "God" is usually quite entertaining.

They are employing the argument from ignorance. As you say, they are making the claim. There is no requirement for you to disprove the claim, in order to point out that they aren't supplying any evidence.

We only have a limited amount of time in our lives. So the claims we should spend time on and take seriously are those that have at least some evidence behind them. The rest are a waste of everyone's time.

Here's my video on why they aren't proving any sort of point. They are misusing logic.

http://youtu.be/BzxMXzdaxtI
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Thanks everyone, I made points about the inconsistencies in the Bible, the fact Jesus was plagiarized from other myths and we don't even know if he's a real person, the fact it's common for religious beliefs to be based on geographical locations, and there are approx 4200 religions out there.

I even brought up if God is all powerful why does he need human interaction to defend him?

Yet they still keep going back to "prove there ISN'T God" , which is getting childish because I am the kind of person that likes evidence, not to believe in something because I should.

(April 7, 2016 at 11:54 am)robvalue Wrote: Hello. Welcome!

Getting them to define what they even mean by "God" is usually quite entertaining.

They are employing the argument from ignorance. As you say, they are making the claim. There is no requirement for you to disprove the claim, in order to point out that they aren't supplying any evidence.

We only have a limited amount of time in our lives. So the claims we should spend time on and take seriously are those that have at least some evidence behind them. The rest are a waste of everyone's time.

Here's my video on why they aren't proving any sort of point. They are misusing logic.

http://youtu.be/BzxMXzdaxtI

Thanks! I'll check this out in a bit
You need smarter friends.  The ones you are dealing with seem to have no intellectual capability at all.
(April 7, 2016 at 12:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You need smarter friends.  The ones you are dealing with seem to have no intellectual capability at all.

Oh, please! I'm sure they have the wit to stalk and kill a box of cereal.
No problem Smile

My standard question is, "Why should I care if there is a god?"

I get very few answers to this. Of course, it would be of scientific interest, if it was possible to study or interact with it in any way. But that's not going to happen until it's actually been shown to be a real thing.

Other than that, no one can give me much of a reason. I'm not interested in joining cults, nor worshiping anything. So it's irrelevant to me whether there's a god. Makes no difference, I'll carry on just as I do now.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 7, 2016 at 11:22 am)dragonman73 Wrote: Hi New member, 

Been an atheist for a few years now, but I am stumped.  I'm asking for evidence of a God on another group and keep getting hit back with "prove God's NOT real"

I know you can't prove a negative, and it's aggravating me lol.  

I simply explained the burden of proof lies on the person making the claim something exists. It's up to them to provide evidence of a God (I know they can't prove that) and I think they are trying to flip the script out of desperation.

Just a little help here

You're absolutely right.  They're just desperately trying to switch the burden of proof onto you, knowing full well that you can't logically disprove the existence of their god because they can always come up with some new ad hoc hypothesis to magically explain why you can't detect him.

Frankly I don't find those battles worth fighting.  If they can't understand the burden of proof, then it's not worth arguing with them.  However, if you feel you must, then simply say, "If you want me to believe in your god, then prove to me beyond any reasonable doubt that he exists."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1034 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14907 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5602 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1991 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5775 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5216 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17571 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7045 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9402 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38813 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet