Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Child Indoctrination how to break
Child Indoctrination how to break
So here is the back-story. I use to be a christian. Moving forward. I met this girl in college years back, she had 3-children. Hispanic family, catholic.

She wasn't very religious but her mother was.

by the time we got engaged we both lost our religion and converted to Buddhism (we do not believe in a god we follow the third school of philosophy)

But that being said the children have been heavily indoctrinated by her mother and other outside sources to the EXTREME.

my now-daughter brings up "god" all the time, saying stuff like "god healed my owy" etc.

When I told her god does not exist the look on her face would be the same if I had told her I was a martian.

How to break indoctrination?

We do not care if the children follow buddhism we would simply like them to use logic rather than fairy tales from a made up book.
RE: Child Indoctrination how to break
How old are these kids? If your daughter is saying "owie," she may not be old enough to understand what you're trying to say to her. You might have to wait until she's capable of more advanced thought. You shouldn't be telling her things that contradict what other authority figures tell her that will only confuse her. You should say, "Mommy and Daddy don't believe God exists, but some people do." Let her make her own fucking decision when she's old enough to do so.
Yeah, when she gets older, you can ask her why she believes in God. You don't have to make any negative statements on the matter. If you get her questioning her own system while simultaneously not enforcing it, you're giving her the ability to evaluate her own position and make her own decisions.

For the time being, just don't enforce the belief system and lead by good example.
Teach your kids how things in the world work. Teach them how to question and discover for themselves. It's never too early to teach children how to reason. Depending on their age, don't be surprised when they sometimes arrive at bizarre conclusions. At this point, attempt to help them sort it out rather than dictate a solution. The goal is to teach them how to think, not what to think.

I almost forgot the point I was trying to make. If you do this, your children will be well prepared to challenge people who attempt to shove God on them.
(April 25, 2014 at 10:12 am)Cato Wrote: Teach your kids how things in the world work. Teach them how to question and discover for themselves. It's never too early to teach children how to reason. Depending on their age, don't be surprised when they sometimes arrive at bizarre conclusions. At this point, attempt to help them sort it out rather than dictate a solution. The goal is to teach them how to think, not what to think.

I almost forgot the point I was trying to make. If you do this, your children will be well prepared to challenge people who attempt to shove God on them.

Exactly, I told them when they are older if they wish to be religious in our house they must first study at least 4 religions. That way at the very least they have an understanding of how other cultures think and what those cultures believe.
An evangelical Buddhist, indoctrinating his children. GREAT. Sad
(April 25, 2014 at 6:27 am)BlackSwordsman Wrote: So here is the back-story. I use to be a christian. Moving forward. I met this girl in college years back, she had 3-children. Hispanic family, catholic.

by the time we got engaged we both lost our religion and converted to Buddhism (we do not believe in a god we follow the third school of philosophy)

But that being said the children have been heavily indoctrinated by her mother and other outside sources to the EXTREME.

my now-daughter brings up "god" all the time, saying stuff like "god healed my owy" etc.

When I told her god does not exist the look on her face would be the same if I had told her I was a martian.

We do not care if the children follow buddhism we would simply like them to use logic rather than fairy tales from a made up book.

wow, if they are "... indoctrinated by her mother... " I would take a long hard look in the mirror.

Do all atheist blame everything on "something else"?
It sounds like the problem is that she's got one relative telling her that God does exist, and another telling her that God doesn't exist. Nobody's asking what she believes.

I rarely agree with the Christian "teach the controversy" arguments, but this is one of those times when it's appropriate. Teach her that some people believe certain things, and other people disagree, and that she'll need to think about it and come to her own conclusions. Teach her to ask questions. Teach her to evaluate evidence. Teach her HOW to think instead of WHAT to think, then sit back and and let her reach the conclusions for herself.
That's MISTER Godless Vegetarian Tree Hugging Hippie Liberal to you.
(April 25, 2014 at 10:59 am)archangle Wrote:
(April 25, 2014 at 6:27 am)BlackSwordsman Wrote: So here is the back-story. I use to be a christian. Moving forward. I met this girl in college years back, she had 3-children. Hispanic family, catholic.

wow, if they are "... indoctrinated by her mother... " I would take a long hard look in the mirror.

I'm sorry that your lost or just really off. Hard look in the mirror? Shit, your right because we all share mirror like qualities and views as our parents. I come from an extremely religious christian family, I am buddhist (Athiest). My philosophy is a world apart from my families, different race, different culture, different life style. I fear your statement holds little to be desired.

My wife shares none of the catholic views of her mom, in fact she and I hold a rather strong disdain for them, her mother associates with extremists.
(April 25, 2014 at 8:25 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote:
(April 25, 2014 at 10:59 am)archangle Wrote: wow, if they are "... indoctrinated by her mother... " I would take a long hard look in the mirror.

I'm sorry that your lost or just really off. Hard look in the mirror? Shit, your right because we all share mirror like qualities and views as our parents. I come from an extremely religious christian family, I am buddhist (Athiest). My philosophy is a world apart from my families, different race, different culture, different life style. I fear your statement holds little to be desired.

My wife shares none of the catholic views of her mom, in fact she and I hold a rather strong disdain for them, her mother associates with extremists.

You still have not indicated how young the child is - and that makes a difference
It might be okay to allow a young child to believe in Santa Claus for a while - just like belief in gods - but eventually they learn that Santa is not real. And that would be a good time to explain religion and the thousands of gods claimed by people over the centuries - and they are not real either.
If the child is really young - having them read the bible would not be possible - but an older child could read the bible on the instructions that they should point out the things that cannot be true - to see it is fables and myths.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 179 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3637 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses zebo-the-fat 3 815 May 23, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3352 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Victims 'told not to report' Jehovah's Witness child abuse zebo-the-fat 13 2759 November 20, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Vatican Children's Hospital showcasing something besides excellence in child care vorlon13 14 3463 July 19, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yet another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 18 2192 April 13, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  School Indoctrination zebo-the-fat 4 1326 September 7, 2016 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 4 1146 August 10, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Indoctrination by internet TubbyTubby 14 2347 May 11, 2015 at 7:26 am
Last Post: RobbyPants