Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia Suggests US "delivers its astronauts to the ISS with a trampoline"
Russia Suggests US "delivers its astronauts to the ISS with a trampoline"
Quote:“After analyzing the sanctions against our space industry, I suggest the U.S. delivers its astronauts to the ISS with a trampoline,” Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, the recipient of a U.S. asset freeze and travel ban, said Tuesday, referring to the international space station. The United States relies on Russian space shuttle flights to launch astronauts into orbit.
REF: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/euro...story.html

What does Elon Musk have to say?

[Image: cu2NecP.jpg]
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
RE: Russia Suggests US "delivers its astronauts to the ISS with a trampoline"
US cooperation with Russia on the ISS has always had more to do with keeping Russian rocket scientists from seeking employment elsewhere than a real need for their services.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Actually, it also has a lot to do with the fact that US believe its presence in space needs to be more spectacular than would be allowed by the budget it was willing to give NASA.

There is a lot more intertwining between US and Russian space programs than the ISS. For example US relies heavily on Soviet and Russia designed liquid fueled rock engines for our key launch vehicles. American menufacturer of key components of liquid fueled rockets in turn depends heavily on selling their wares to Russian engine manufacturers.

The turth of the matter is since the 1970s, American liquid fuel rocket engine development have stagnated with the development of Space shuttle main engine because stagnation of NASA and limited military application of heavy liquid motors. First Soviet Union and now Russia had been and remains superior to us in practical liquid fuel rocket motor design know how. Russia rocket motors now depend in a number of areas on superior American fabrication technology. But the US in trun depends on superior Russian experience and design knowhow with regard to overall rocket motor.
Quote:Russia Suggests US "delivers its astronauts to the ISS with a trampoline"

It would be so cool if we could do this. Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
There was a joke about this whole going to space thing. Some Ukrainian guy told the other Ukrainian guy, "Ey, the Russians went to space!" the other replies, "All of them?", to which he says, "Of course not. Just one.". The Ukrainian then replies, "Then why are you bothering me?".
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(April 30, 2014 at 1:02 pm)Chuck Wrote: Actually, it also has a lot to do with the fact that US believe its presence in space needs to be more spectacular than would be allowed by the budget it was willing to give NASA.

There is a lot more intertwining between US and Russian space programs than the ISS. For example US relies heavily on Soviet and Russia designed liquid fueled rock engines for our key launch vehicles. American menufacturer of key components of liquid fueled rockets in turn depends heavily on selling their wares to Russian engine manufacturers.

The turth of the matter is since the 1970s, American liquid fuel rocket engine development have stagnated with the development of Space shuttle main engine because stagnation of NASA and limited military application of heavy liquid motors. First Soviet Union and now Russia had been and remains superior to us in practical liquid fuel rocket motor design know how. Russia rocket motors now depend in a number of areas on superior American fabrication technology. But the US in trun depends on superior Russian experience and design knowhow with regard to overall rocket motor.

I don't doubt that there has been some technology transfer between the US and Russia on liquid fueled rocket motors, but I'm standing by my statement that US involvement with the Russians on ISS had more to do with keeping their rocket scientists out of Iran and North Korean than anything else. I was in Star City twice and Baikonur once during the mid 90's. I deployed a Timeplex Link II mux with some voice instruments and routers attached to provide some semi reliable comms for the American astronauts working there during the phase I (shuttle/MIR) operations. It provided a direct link between those sites and the Huntsville Operations Support Center (HOSC) at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville where we tied it into the NASA mission voice, data and ISDN networks. The HOSC, which is where I worked from mid 87 through 2001, was the control center for the shuttle main engines during launch and where the science support teams sat for all the science conducted on the shuttle when it was flying Spacehab or Spacelab mission and the ISS. I worked with personnel from ESA, the independent German, Dutch, Italian, French and Japanese space programs as well as the Russians. The only member of that group that weren't paying their own tab were the Russians. While I don't claim to be fully cognizant of all the politics of the period I sat in on enough meetings with our NASA management to hear why we were expending our limited funds with the Russians instead of putting people to work in states.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia and Ukraine Anomalocaris 4695 271828 March 27, 2024 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  China & Russia Foxaèr 32 2140 November 29, 2023 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  China and Russia's presidents -both- absent from the G20 WinterHold 16 1196 October 1, 2023 at 8:09 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 373 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  BREAKING: Trump suggests US over-reporting COVID deaths WinterHold 23 1959 November 2, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Micheal Cohen lied about Russia Tower deal. Brian37 6 837 November 29, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  BREAKING:Trump Promises Strike on Syria and Warns Russia Against Backing Assad WinterHold 20 4074 April 14, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The White House has released its 2019 budget. Aegon 16 1614 February 13, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Coal Loses Another Battle In Its War Minimalist 3 596 February 9, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Disney Channel is making history with its first gay coming-out story Foxaèr 57 5861 October 28, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye