Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 12:16 am

Poll: Would you like to live forever?
This poll is closed.
Yes
38.89%
14 38.89%
No
61.11%
22 61.11%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wants to Live Forever?
Who Wants to Live Forever?
Place your own eternal stipulations how you see fit. This IS NOT a question of whether or not you actually believe you will, rather a question of "would if I could?"

If given the choice, would you live forever?

(Video here only for effect.)

PLEASE VOTE IN POLL
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Who Wants to Live Forever?
No, I don't think I would.

I'd like to live longer than the average human lifespan, perhaps two or three times as long, as long as I could remain moderately young physically and healthy, just to see how much we can progress.
Dying to live, living to die.
No.
I think I would like a few lifetimes of nominal length. Maybe even a dozen or more ... but then restful oblivion and the peaceful quiet of non-existence.

The longer people live, the more detached they get with some things. Time seems to go by faster for adults than kids. I think that's one reason why Elves can come off as aloof and uncaring in shows and such, compared to the humans who come to them for help.

If there was going to be some immortality magic or something, I think I'd choose reincarnation over immortality. As long as I could remember things about my past lives. I think that would be the most interesting.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Depends on the current events. At times I don't think I would mine the prospect of immmortality, but at others I'm not so sure. Can you make others immortal or are you damned to live forever alone? Do I have to go around cutting off peoples heads? What are the rules? I wonder if Freddy wanted to. Damn, I wish they would hurry up and make that Highlander remake.
(May 5, 2014 at 11:30 pm)Chad32 Wrote: If there was going to be some immortality magic or something, I think I'd choose reincarnation over immortality. As long as I could remember things about my past lives. I think that would be the most interesting.

So that'd be a no correct?

OP Wrote:
PLEASE VOTE IN POLL

No. But I would like to live long enough to read the end of "A Song of Ice and Fire."
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 5, 2014 at 11:32 pm)Elskidor Wrote: Depends on the current events. At times I don't think I would mine the prospect of immmortality, but at others I'm not so sure. Can you make others immortal?

No, of course not, this question only applies to yourself.

Quote: or are you damned to live forever alone?

I don't know, are you? Do you know of others who wish to live forever?

Quote: Do I have to go around cutting off peoples heads?

Doesn't seem likely. Do you want to?

Quote:What are the rules?

As clearly stated, the parameters are yours to decide.

OP Wrote:
PLEASE VOTE IN POLL

I don't mind living indefintiely so long as

1. I remain physically and mentally vigorous and agile,

2. General progress of human cognitive evolution does not leave my own cognative powers too far behind to allow me to function adaquately in future human societies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The reason we live nessahanalita 2 373 February 8, 2021 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11264 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  What do you live for? Sappho 73 9844 September 11, 2015 at 8:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Proof we Live in a Simulation AFTT47 25 5347 March 7, 2015 at 9:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why Live a life? intellectual atheist 31 3572 July 21, 2014 at 2:29 am
Last Post: intellectual atheist
  Humanity won't last forever. Edwardo Piet 28 10709 May 10, 2010 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Zen Badger