Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Live a life?
Why Live a life?
I dont mean that i dont want to live. I mean why do we live? Whats the meaning of living. We are living for so long nothing has been changed. The world is certainly not being made better place to live when i last checked.
We live for our friends, family ? then what they will also eventually die. If even if we become successful scientist or businessman then what? Why are we surviving, bound to natural selection and all those stuff.
Cockroaches and crocodiles are far more primitive than humans. Even now they are where they were 100 millions years ago. They are surviving as well.
We humans have just adapted to survive effectively. But why? Nothing will change if human population increase.

The only reason I can come up with is human extinction or end of world due to overpopulation and over utilization of resource.
RE: Why Live a life?
The meaning of living... is to live. Other than eternal oblivion, which will come soon enough, I don't see any other alternatives.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
From what I remember about being dead, which is nothing, being alive is way more fun than being dead.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Life can be pointless sometimes, and I never understood this "live to leave something behind" thing anyway.

I would say that I live to have fun and enjoy the pleasures of the world.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
There isn't some grand reason. Only that you enjoy it. If this comes from helping the human race to achieve a better world then great.

It would be great to think that with scientific and social advances one day people will live a life free from:

Disease
Ageing
Predjudice
Stress
Spend a couple of days a week working and the rest of the time enjoying themselves.

I think this is possible one day, perhaps....

(It's a bit like heaven really, but real. Think how much faster we'd get there is people put down their bibles and read something useful instead)
The meaning of your life is up to you to decide. I've questioned myself so many times about our existence's meaning, and I've come to the conclusion that questioning life's purpose too much will just bring you down, it's best to just go with the flow, be happy and try to leave the world a better place, either by changing it or leaving it as it is (sometimes it is the best option). Do things you enjoy, surpass your limits, and after you die, you'll be in peace in harmony with the universe.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

You may be over thinking this. Well, actually you just are over thinking it. Motives and purposes describe why we do things. Attaching one to why we exist is pretty pointless unless you think someone (or something pretty much like us) put us together for a reason. Hahahahahahah.
I have thought alot about this lately as well. If you really think about it everything we do is to try to please our five senses to the fullest. Just imagine what would happen if you could achieve the perfection of satisfying all five senses 100 percent all at the same time. Death? Higher plane? who knows
The way our brain works is to try and make as much sense of things, and find the causes of things so that we can influence events. This is very useful, but unfortunately it does it even when there is none, which is why people end up thinking things like:

Lucky Numbers
Karma Good or Bad
Alternative medicine
Life has a purpose
etc
The meaning of life is found within yourself. Look for things that make you happy, and seek them out. Avoid things that make you unhappy. It is harder for some than others, but we can try or we can slip off to a place and end it all.

That's my philosophy anyway. Not too complicated. I choose my own meaning in life.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The reason we live nessahanalita 2 377 February 8, 2021 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8203 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11347 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15180 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What do you live for? Sappho 73 10133 September 11, 2015 at 8:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Proof we Live in a Simulation AFTT47 25 5396 March 7, 2015 at 9:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Who Wants to Live Forever? Cinjin 34 4754 June 4, 2014 at 9:51 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4095 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is life worth living as an atheist? Alex87 96 26224 March 3, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13322 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet