Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should you be able to sell your body?
Should you be able to sell your body?
So c172's thread on organ transplants got me thinking, should you be able to sell your body in every sense of the word? Right now it is illegal to sell your own body parts if you chose to, even though it is your body. If I am in a bad ways with money, why should I not be allowed to sell my extra kidney to get me out of a tough spot? Or if your family is poor and you die, your family can't even sell some organs (yours or theirs) to pay for the hospital bills and funeral costs.

Personally I think you should be able to do whatever you want with your body so long as your not physically harming someone else. And I think that being able to sell your own organs could help a lit of people on transplant lists. If I needed a kidney, I would rather have to pay extra for one than to not have one at all.
RE: Should you be able to sell your body?
Is prostitution not legal in Nevada?

I think an individual should be able to legally prostitute his or her body if s/he wishes it, though again there is the safety measure. Most prostitutes do not care about keeping themselves safe, and thus they spread disease like wildfire. If the act of prostitution is to be made legal, perhaps there should be set up legal matters for the prostitutes to follow whereby they are informed and required to remain clean. Much like current employment safety guidelines.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 10, 2014 at 9:49 am)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: So c172's thread on organ transplants got me thinking, should you be able to sell your body in every sense of the word? Right now it is illegal to sell your own body parts if you chose to, even though it is your body. If I am in a bad ways with money, why should I not be allowed to sell my extra kidney to get me out of a tough spot? Or if your family is poor and you die, your family can't even sell some organs (yours or theirs) to pay for the hospital bills and funeral costs.

Personally I think you should be able to do whatever you want with your body so long as your not physically harming someone else. And I think that being able to sell your own organs could help a lit of people on transplant lists. If I needed a kidney, I would rather have to pay extra for one than to not have one at all.

The issue is one of referred to in your last paragraph. The fact that rich people would benefit disproportionately. Furthermore the pressure on poor people to sell their organs to get out of debt or even fund the basics of life is a concern. The exploitation of the poor for their organs is something that is certainly commonplace in India.
There was a great article in Discover Magazine about the organ trade.

Quote:What I found is borne out by Madhav Goyal, a Johns Hopkins doctor and bioethicist who interviewed more than 300 Indian men compelled to sell their kidneys in the mid-1990s. The bulk of their fees—an average of $1,070—was used to settle the debts that had driven them to make the sale in the first place. The rest was gobbled up by basic needs like food and clothing. Using the cash to start a small business, such as a tea stall or an auto-rickshaw service, remained a pipe dream.

Free-trade proponents argue that donors would fare much better under a government-regulated program, which could provide incentives such as lifelong health insurance or college tuition for the donor’s children. Scheper-Hughes counters that the concept amounts to a “kidney tax” on the poor, exacting an unfair price for basic services and opportunities. She points to Iran, which has allowed kidney donations for cash since 1988, virtually eliminating the waiting list for the organ. A survey of 500 Iranian donors who received $1,200 and a year of medical insurance from the government found that their quality of life, as measured by factors like financial condition and psychological health, remained poor three to six months after the donation. “Nobody denies that most donors live in extreme poverty; many are drug addicts,” says WHO’s Noël. “There is candid recognition in Iran now that the scheme is working well only for the recipients.”

The problem is that the transaction will likely always be heavily slanted in favor of the recipient. Also, you would have to have strict oversight for people who are desperate, on both sides, not to be taken advantage of. There would have to be a set price, in my opinion, or poor people will be at a severe disadvantage. Also, the medical ethics of people having operations to sell their body parts voluntarily could be called into question.

I'm on the fence. On one hand, my body, etc., etc. On the other hand, if I can go to the bum on the street corner and offer him $500 for his kidney, who's protecting him?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sometimes you should just shut up. arewethereyet 12 475 April 10, 2024 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you love good set of tight fit jeans on your body? Woah0 20 945 September 18, 2022 at 9:51 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  I did it and you should too. Brian37 41 4045 August 25, 2018 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Describe your body type and the ideal body you would like. The Valkyrie 34 4423 May 4, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  How would you like to dispose of your body when the time comes? Whateverist 107 13108 December 19, 2017 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the Last 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? vorlon13 30 6649 August 21, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the First 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? Rhondazvous 58 10577 August 20, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  If you have an android phone you should read this. #5 is the most shocking. ErGingerbreadMandude 7 1966 December 18, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  You Should Check This Out Excited Penguin 77 7720 April 3, 2016 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  People try and sell the dumbest things. Joods 69 12599 December 12, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: vorlon13