Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeologists Think They Have Found the Wreck of The Santa Maria
Archaeologists Think They Have Found the Wreck of The Santa Maria
Right where Columbus said it was. D'uh.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/13/ar...-would-be/

Quote:Archaeological investigators believe they may have discovered the long-lost remains of Christopher Columbus’ flagship, the Santa Maria.

The leader of the expedition, Barry Clifford, told The Independent that all the evidence “strongly suggests” that wreckage found off the north coast of Haiti is the ship that sailed from Spain with the Niña and the Pinta in the famous 1492 voyage.
RE: Archaeologists Think They Have Found the Wreck of The Santa Maria
I hope they manage to get the remains out of the water and put them on display.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(May 13, 2014 at 11:51 am)Minimalist Wrote: Right where Columbus said it was. D'uh.

Columbus said it was off the coast of India.

Angel
Close enough for government work.
(May 13, 2014 at 12:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Close enough for government work.

Almost as close as Malaysia airlines flight 370.
Why are they wasting time on this when we still haven't found Noah's ark???!??!??!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm)Tonus Wrote: Why are they wasting time on this when we still haven't found Noah's ark???!??!??!

Ah, but they HAVE found Noah's Ark!!

Multiple times.

Problem is, they keep losing it again.
When I was in FL in March they had the hand made replicas of the Nina and the Pinta at Ponce Inlet in New Smyrna Beach. No modern tools were used building them. It was really cool. I didn't realize it cost $8 until we were on board. I was kinda pissed until I talked with the crew. They are all volunteers, sailing adventure style with the two boats. It sounded like a lot of fun. I had an impulse to be irresponsible and sign up!

There was a certain cognitive dissonance that I experienced. My whole life, I had this idea of these huge Spanish Galleons that Columbus mightily sailed across the Atlantic with. I don't know where it came from, and I certainly know enough about history to know that there were no huge ships then. But my internal image of the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria are these majestic ships.

They are not. Standing on the Nina, it was this tiny little caravel. 65 feet long. Crew slept on the deck. A tiller for a rudder. The Pinta is slightly larger, but not by much. Columbus hated the Santa Maria, he said it sailed like a pig. It, too, was a tiny little nao, a trading vessel.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Even Nelson's Victory, one of the largest ships in the world 300 years after Columbus, and home to a crew of 800, was still unbelieveably small to modern maritime sensibilities.

The victory was only as long as a typical modern big containership is wide.
(May 13, 2014 at 12:41 pm)Chuck Wrote: Even Nelson's Victory, one of the largest ships in the world 300 years after Columbus, and home to a crew of 800, was still unbelieveably small to modern maritime sensibilities.

The victory was only as long as a typical modern big containership is wide.

Put in another perspective, the flight deck of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is large enough to accommodate at least a dozen ships-of-the-line like HMS Victory, perhaps more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  400,000 Year Old Cranium Found in Portugal Minimalist 29 4671 March 29, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Largest diversity of dinosaur tracks to be found The Valkyrie 4 724 March 28, 2017 at 7:24 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Penguins the Size of Humans (Fossils found) The Valkyrie 22 3699 February 23, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How Archaeologists Know Its December Minimalist 2 783 December 4, 2015 at 1:00 pm
  I found a neat book to teach kids the basics of Evolution Milton42 1 919 August 1, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Why do you think male homosexual have more mood and anxiety disorders? das_atheist 93 10743 July 1, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Razzle
  Ooh - They'll have to push back the beginnings Minimalist 18 3122 October 2, 2014 at 5:25 pm
  Oldest Clovis Sites Found Thus Far Minimalist 24 4926 July 16, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  800k YPB Footprints Found in Britain Minimalist 19 3727 February 8, 2014 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Science might have found why some people are gay. Gooders1002 9 3661 December 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002