Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oldest Clovis Sites Found Thus Far
Oldest Clovis Sites Found Thus Far
In Mexico...which has the potential to shift the paradigm again.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...r-science/

Quote:El Fin del Mundo is one of the oldest and southernmost Clovis sites ever discovered, according to University of Arizona archaeologist Vance Holliday, a co-author of the study announcing the find, released Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Far from the famous Bering land bridge, the location has researchers questioning the origin of our early ancestors.

"I think sites like El Fin del Mundo really force us to rethink the process of the colonization of the Americas," says archaeologist Thomas Jennings of the University of West Georgia in Carrollton, who was not part of the discovery team.
RE: Oldest Clovis Sites Found Thus Far
(July 15, 2014 at 10:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: In Mexico...which has the potential to shift the paradigm again.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...r-science/

Quote:El Fin del Mundo is one of the oldest and southernmost Clovis sites ever discovered, according to University of Arizona archaeologist Vance Holliday, a co-author of the study announcing the find, released Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Far from the famous Bering land bridge, the location has researchers questioning the origin of our early ancestors.

"I think sites like El Fin del Mundo really force us to rethink the process of the colonization of the Americas," says archaeologist Thomas Jennings of the University of West Georgia in Carrollton, who was not part of the discovery team.
They found plenty in Arizona so why would Mexico be a surprise?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Florida has some really anomalous shit as well. Especially below the (current) waterline. Vero beach, IIRC, had some recent finds.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Because they are older. The theory..fairly well discredited by now...is that Clovis was brought over by the Siberian migrants on the Bering Land Bridge.

To have older sites being found to the south suggests a completely different migratory pattern.
They should have been suspiscious from the get-go. Native legends and myths describe events that would seem to predate any siberian bridge. While I'm not a big fan of the factual accuracy of legend and myth.......there simply comes a point, you know what I mean Min?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 15, 2014 at 10:49 pm)Rhythm Wrote: They should have been suspiscious from the get-go. Native legends and myths describe events that would seem to predate any siberian bridge. While I'm not a big fan of the factual accuracy of legend and myth.......there simply comes a point, you know what I mean Min?
How do you date a legend? especially one that would 24,000 years old?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
It's not too difficult, especially legends that describe an event that can be dated without reference to the legend. We could always concede that the legend, in and of itself, can be written/told of as fiction, of course....If I told you a legend that involved a steam engine...or a description of mid 40's US Naval cutters, how would you date that? Not all that hard, in theory, right?
(July 15, 2014 at 10:49 pm)Rhythm Wrote: They should have been suspiscious from the get-go. Native legends and myths describe events that would seem to predate any siberian bridge. While I'm not a big fan of the factual accuracy of legend and myth.......there simply comes a point, you know what I mean Min?

Don't they also say the emerged from the underworld?
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Yeah, I know, but every culture seems to have had a creation myth which puts them at the center of creation. I don't put any more stock in paleo-indian legends than I do in judeo-xtian ones. Although certainly in the big scheme of things they are no more silly.
(July 15, 2014 at 11:21 pm)Polaris Wrote: Don't they also say the emerged from the underworld?
Some do, yeah. We don't have to accept their word as fact -as presented- any more than I accept your silly myth as fact. That being said, I accept that your ridiculous little stories can refer to something just the same as theirs. Myth and legend isn't useless, it just isn't the last word some folks might try to argue it to be. Let me be clear, I'll take the finds over myths every day of the week and twice on sunday.

I don't put any more stock into them myself, but they give us something to wonder about. Some reason to check our assumptions. The reason that I give christers so much shit isn't that they have myths and legends, but that they're so damned vacuous. If we'd found something when we looked into them it would be fantastic. That the myths and legends were even told has to be some part of the reason we took a look in the first place. We could give the native american legends that much, at least. We gave it to the damned christians for less, and despite all evidence to the contrary.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oldest Human Fossil Outside of Africa! chimp3 23 3499 January 26, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  400,000 Year Old Cranium Found in Portugal Minimalist 29 4625 March 29, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Largest diversity of dinosaur tracks to be found The Valkyrie 4 721 March 28, 2017 at 7:24 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Penguins the Size of Humans (Fossils found) The Valkyrie 22 3677 February 23, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I found a neat book to teach kids the basics of Evolution Milton42 1 916 August 1, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Pre-Clovis Find in Oregon Minimalist 12 3162 March 9, 2015 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Archaeologists Think They Have Found the Wreck of The Santa Maria Minimalist 31 7091 May 14, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  800k YPB Footprints Found in Britain Minimalist 19 3666 February 8, 2014 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Clovis Points in Alaska Minimalist 2 1058 November 9, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Good sites Simsim 6 1192 June 21, 2013 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Simsim