Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay "How to train your dragon" character
Gay "How to train your dragon" character
Quote:Gobber the Belch will have a subtle coming out moment in the upcoming sequel to the popular animated film, How to Train Your Dragon, its director tells E! News.

Comedian Craig Ferguson voices the Viking character and apparently improvised the moment. Gobber was watching a straight couple argue and had the line "This is why I never got married," then Ferguson added there was one other reason. Out director and writer Dean DeBlois said Ferguson "added it as an ad lib and he said, 'Yup, Gobber is coming out of the closet.'"

DeBlois told E! News' Marc Malkin that he immediately liked the idea, calling it a "daring move to put in." The movie surely could get more attention from the right-wing, which criticized ParaNorman for including an openly gay character prominently in its storyline in 2012.

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainme...gon-sequel
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Gay "How to train your dragon" character
(May 19, 2014 at 12:04 am)Kitanetos Wrote:
Quote:Comedian Craig Ferguson voices the Viking character and apparently improvised the moment. Gobber was watching a straight couple argue and had the line "This is why I never got married," then Ferguson added there was one other reason. Out director and writer Dean DeBlois said Ferguson "added it as an ad lib and he said, 'Yup, Gobber is coming out of the closet.'"
http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainme...gon-sequel

And after the gay extravaganza of Frozen, will this even be a big deal?

Perhaps I'm underestimating homophobics' capacity to go ape shit over these things.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
They'll be upset about it. Their twisted immorality demands it.
~ Erin Hunter
(May 19, 2014 at 10:37 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
(May 19, 2014 at 12:04 am)Kitanetos Wrote:

And after the gay extravaganza of Frozen, will this even be a big deal?

Perhaps I'm underestimating homophobics' capacity to go ape shit over these things.

I haven't seen Frozen but I heard it actually has no homosexual characters in it. It was just right wing loonies reading between the lines that falsely inferred a homosexual message.

Just imagine what an explicitly gay character in a kids movie will do to the right.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
There was that gay character in ParaNorman, though one did not know till the end that he was gay.
~ Erin Hunter
(May 19, 2014 at 11:39 am)Tea Earl Grey Hot Wrote:
(May 19, 2014 at 10:37 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote: And after the gay extravaganza of Frozen, will this even be a big deal?

I haven't seen Frozen but I heard it actually has no homosexual characters in it. It was just right wing loonies reading between the lines that falsely inferred a homosexual message.

Just imagine what an explicitly gay character in a kids movie will do to the right.

(I haven't seen it either.)

(May 19, 2014 at 11:43 am)Kitanetos Wrote: There was that gay character in ParaNorman, though one did not know till the end that he was gay.

So the director is calling this momentary joke Gobber's "coming out," but will anyone actually take it as anything more than a joke? (Excepting the right wing nuts for a moment)

I feel like this sort of one-liner has been done before in kid-oriented movies with no real repercussions and calling attention to the line is just highlighting the implications in a Steisandian way and is now gaining the movie press that it otherwise might not have gotten, especially if it really is as the OP quote says and was thrown in as an ad-lib joke and nothing more is made of it in the plot of the movie.

If anything would have warranted a fuss being made about it by the right-wingers, it's not the supposed pro-gay messaging in Frozen, or the ad-libbed line in HTTYD2, it's the gay character in ParaNorman.

Was there fuss made over ParaNorman and I just missed it? Or are the right wingers just cherry-picking Disney?
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(May 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: Was there fuss made over ParaNorman and I just missed it? Or are the right wingers just cherry-picking Disney?

Considering that Disney is unapologetically pro-gay....Disney Gay Days, after all.
~ Erin Hunter
I believe that one day - hopefully sooner rather than later - gay characters in film will be a non-issue to the point of not even being newsworthy. Gay characters won't even BE 'gay characters', they'll simply be characters who happen to be gay. I believe this will be so commonplace that even religious conservatives will get bored with taking notice.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Nice that they chose an animation aimed at children for this purpose.
Still, its pathetic.
Since they simply cannot make the main character a homo, its nothing more than a useless gesture, aimed at making the homos think that they are important enough to be featured in movies.
I'm sure that they'll be experiencing a backlash on this issue. The gay community will most certainly do their best to attend the movie in theatres, to support it, but they'll lose their main audience, children and their parents, who do not wish the films their kids are watching turned into gay-propaganda.
But I guess they don't matter any more.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(May 19, 2014 at 11:39 am)Tea Earl Grey Hot Wrote:
(May 19, 2014 at 10:37 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote: And after the gay extravaganza of Frozen, will this even be a big deal?

I did see Frozen. It seems that true love isn't allowed to be platonic sisterly love. It has to be romantic heterosexual love.

As for Gobber, I guess it's for the best that word of God explained "that's not the only reason" meaning he was gay. Instead of a number of other reasons. A short, beardless man named Gobber the Belch saying that arguments aren't the only reason he isn't married? Ya don't say?

Not that I don't think he's awesome, or care if he's gay or not. I would have if I was younger, but I have changed my views since Willow coming out as gay in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whale sculpture catches crashed Dutch metro train zebo-the-fat 6 277 November 2, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump Train runs Biden Bus out of Texas! WinterHold 18 1267 November 2, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Crooks They May Be - But Not Bad Judges of Character Minimalist 3 414 May 22, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Train Carrying GOP Members Crashes Into Trash Truck A Theist 40 5632 February 1, 2018 at 6:43 am
Last Post: A Theist
  Amtrak train derails in Washington state Joods 29 3120 December 20, 2017 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Virgin challenges Jeremy Corbyn train footage account_inactive 7 780 August 24, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  No one helped man getting killed in train Catholic_Lady 25 3400 July 11, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Fuck you theists and your "it's a sin" bullshit. Gay marriage is LEGAL Foxaèr 2 1910 June 29, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Gay marriage: maybe. Anti-gay idiots: pushing stupid laws. Foxaèr 1 1274 May 10, 2015 at 5:05 am
Last Post: robvalue