Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion and Global warming
Abortion and Global warming
Today a friend whom I argue politics with lamented that he didn't care if humans destroyed the earth but that I should since I have children.

So that got me wondering. If future generations have a right to a clean and livable earth why don't they have a right to exist? Essentially a conclusion of the pro abortion movement is that future people don't have a right to exist. The right of existence only comes into being after one is born. Well if they don't have a right to exist then they certainly don't have a right to a clean and livable earth.

How does someone who is pro abortion justify fighting against global warming? Do not the rights and needs of the people today supersede the rights and need of future people?
RE: Abortion and Global warming
[Image: keep+trolling.jpeg]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Quote: If future generations have a right to a clean and livable earth why don't they have a right to exist?

So - some woman having an abortion is your equivalent of wiping out future generations? Please pull your head out of your ass.
(May 20, 2014 at 12:28 pm)Heywood Wrote: Essentially a conclusion of the pro abortion movement is that future people don't have a right to exist.

You could extend that as far as not having sex at every opportunity is removing someones future right to existence. I'm pro global orgy but I think non-stop sex would get painful to be honest. Plus almost every fertile woman would be very quickly pregnant and having billions pregnant women sounds terrifying. Then you have the army new born babies.. Then every 9 months the same again. Fuck that bullshit..
(May 20, 2014 at 12:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: If future generations have a right to a clean and livable earth why don't they have a right to exist?

So - some woman having an abortion is your equivalent of wiping out future generations? Please pull your head out of your ass.

If women have a right not to reproduce then in principle every women could choose not to reproduce....putting an end to humanity. Why can't we present day humans simply decide that our wants and needs supersede the wants and needs of the generations that aren't yet born?
(May 20, 2014 at 12:28 pm)Heywood Wrote: the pro abortion movement is that future people don't have a right to exist.

I don't think I know anyone who is actually "pro abortion". And no, pro choice isn't just a nice way to spin an ugly stance; I don't like abortions. I'd like to see them stop, but I don't see making them illegal as doing anyone any good. I'd rather cut back on unwanted pregnancies.

This isn't a stance born out of wanting to deny "future people" rights. And they're not future people; they're potential people. We don't give them rights. Otherwise we have to start regulating my semen, and that's just stupid.

(May 20, 2014 at 12:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Yeah, false equivocation if false.
Future people.

Very good description utilized to add weight to a faulty argument. Wink

Keep those sleights of hand coming, yo!
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(May 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Future people.

Abortion is essentially a termination of a future person. If we have no obligation to future persons why is it important to save the earth?
(May 20, 2014 at 12:57 pm)Heywood Wrote: If we have no obligation to future persons why is it important to save the earth?

Just because some women choose to have no obligation to bear a future person into the world does not invalidate that people should care about those future persons who will actually be born.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 20, 2014 at 12:57 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(May 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Future people.

Abortion is essentially a termination of a future person. If we have no obligation to future persons why is it important to save the earth?

What's a future person?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump declaring civil war, turning to global WW3 WinterHold 19 806 November 9, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Thumbs Up Global Peace Index onlinebiker 37 2720 August 20, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Russians lose global competition Interaktive 12 1082 June 12, 2019 at 12:38 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I'm against abortion until my mistress needs one Doubting Thomas 32 4631 October 8, 2017 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  Disability and abortion BrokenQuill92 6 1554 December 8, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: c172
  TX Republicans kill filibuster, essentially ending abortion in state TaraJo 58 17907 June 24, 2015 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: das_atheist
  What are your thoughts on Intact dilation and extraction(aka Partial Birth Abortion)? IanHulett 6 1603 April 27, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Razzle
  Secular reasons for and against legalising abortion Dolorian 80 10378 October 29, 2014 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Cato
  Funny Abortion Meme The_Thinking_Theist 22 18896 February 17, 2014 at 6:54 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Pope fires cardinal who is outspoken critic of gay marriage and abortion TaraJo 18 3879 December 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Jackalope