Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never compromise! / Christian persecution!
Never compromise! / Christian persecution!
I was on Facebook today. I have a friend who is a Baptist. He made a post that was as simple as "Why can't we all get along?". I then started going through the comments of his wacky Baptist friends. Every single one of them came off like:
  • We must never compromise! To do so would be to deny the Lord.
  • Everyone wants to believe everything is happy and everyone will go to heaven, but down that path lies hell!
  • The Bible is very clear on this. We need to be biblical Christians.

Basically, it all comes down to a refusal to compromise because they believe they're really right and that's all there is to it. I imagine this type of mentality will cause them to continue hemorrhaging followers.

On a related note, I've noticed all of his Baptist friends really feel that Christians are persecuted. No they aren't. Certainly not in America. Then I thought of something:

Fundamentalists are "persecuted".

Now, I'll use that in quotes, because they're really not being persecuted; it's just their world view is decreasingly popular, and they're getting their feelings hurt. I think this notion of Christian persecution is very comforting to a fundamentalist. Not only was it predicted by Jesus (sort of), it allows them to believe things that are objectively and verifiably wrong and still maintain that they're right! It also lets them beat the war drums to rally the troops, so to speak.

Invoking persecution protects their view points, not only from non-Christians, but even from all the non-fundies (you know: the not-True Christians).

These are just two thoughts I had now that I started talking to my Baptist friend, again. When I'm painting for hours back to back, I have lots of time to think about stuff like this.
RE: Never compromise! / Christian persecution!
Many are dead set in their ways. After reading one of our Noah's ark threads I hunted christian forums to find their thoughts on it. A newly christian was asking if he was really suppose to believe the story of Noah or just take in the moral of the story, because he didn't believe that the Noah thing was posible...seemed to me he was flamed for questiioning the word of god, with only a couple that didn't follow the majority herd.

Most seem pretty set in their ways and leave no room for compromise, because they'll be compromising their soul...maybe?
Never discount the possibility that they are just fucking stupid.
(May 21, 2014 at 1:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Never discount the possibility that they are just fucking stupid.

I can give odds to that. 99% stupid. The rest is in it for the money.
(May 21, 2014 at 1:39 pm)RobbyPants Wrote: I imagine this type of mentality will cause them to continue hemorrhaging followers.

Don't know why I focused in on this line but it made me imagine an anthropomorphized version of the "Body of Christ" clasping a hand to it's jugular while deconverted xtians spew from between it's fingers.

Big Grin
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
I find it tough to find fault with the Baptists for excessive Christianity, the are just as picky as any other denom in sorting through which edicts, strictures, commandments, rules, laws, and requirements they will consent to follow themselves. I think many of them are far more literalist and fundamentalist with their home owners associations convents and deed restrictions than they ever will be in following bible dogma they personally find inconvenient.

Tongue
The persecutors cry persecution. The racists cry racism. The people trying to deny rights to other people for arbitrary reasons cry that their rights are in danger. The indoctrinators warn against indoctrination. It's a common behavior of the overly-privileged, especially since the right wing and fundamentalists share virtually 100% overlap.
This thread title screams for a Galaxy Quest/Tim Allen "Never retreat! Never surrender!" meme, but I'm just too damn lazy to make it.
(May 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm)Starvald Demelain Wrote: Don't know why I focused in on this line but it made me imagine an anthropomorphized version of the "Body of Christ" clasping a hand to it's jugular while deconverted xtians spew from between it's fingers.

Big Grin

That is some End of Evangelion level imagery, my friend. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
When you believe you're on god's side, everything else is therefore on the devil's side.

You really can't blame them for not wanting to compromise, then.

Or, you know, what Min said lol
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 223 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 4374 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89326 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2476 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Paul's "persecution" of the early Christians? Jehanne 134 14916 February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Persecution Complex vulcanlogician 55 12929 January 3, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Joods
  [UK]Leader of the Lib Dems resigns claiming religious persecution GUBU 14 5685 June 18, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christians never murdered anybody mcolafson 22 3486 December 15, 2016 at 3:22 pm
  Pope decries gay marriage and advances Christian persecution complex Aroura 28 3831 February 22, 2016 at 12:03 pm
  What if Christianity never existed? 1994Californication 32 8753 January 15, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72