Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People more likely to choose a spouse with similar DNA
People more likely to choose a spouse with similar DNA
Quote:Summary: Individuals are more genetically similar to their spouses than they are to randomly selected individuals from the same population, according to a new study. Scientists already knew that people tend to marry others who have similar characteristics, including religion, age, race, income, body type and education, among others. Scientists now show that people also are more likely to pick mates who have similar DNA.

-"It's well known that people marry folks who are like them," said Benjamin Domingue, lead author of the paper and a research associate at CU-Boulder's Institute of Behavioral Science. "But there's been a question about whether we mate at random with respect to genetics."

-The researchers examined the genomes of 825 non-Hispanic white American couples. They looked specifically at single-nucleotide polymorphisms, which are places in their DNA that are known to commonly differ among humans.

-The researchers found that there were fewer differences in the DNA between married people than between two randomly selected individuals. In all, the researchers estimated genetic similarity between individuals using 1.7 million single-nucleotide polymorphisms in each person's genome.

-The researchers compared the magnitude of the genetic similarity between married people to the magnitude of the better-studied phenomenon of people with similar educations marrying, known as educational assortative mating. They found that the preference for a genetically similar spouse, known as genetic assortative mating, is about a third of the strength of educational assortative mating.

I like your genes
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
RE: People more likely to choose a spouse with similar DNA
Sounds like another good point in support of same sex marriage.

Thinking
I would have thought the exotic appealing. Nature seems to delight in diversity and abhors inbreeding.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I'm doing my part, DeistPaladin.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cloning is safer - the perils of sexual DNA combination? Duty 21 1630 October 14, 2021 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Where in our dna are instincts coded? ignoramus 8 1082 December 8, 2018 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Carthaginian DNA - Not So Much Of A Surprise. Minimalist 0 1289 May 26, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Question Where is the evolution tree for DNA? JamesT 4 993 April 28, 2016 at 11:49 pm
  DNA replication vid. MAN I LOVE THIS VIDEO! Brian37 7 1898 March 4, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Woman cured of disease by DNA mutation downbeatplumb 9 2146 February 9, 2015 at 3:43 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Are depressed people more realistic? naimless 255 68014 April 5, 2013 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  What DNA Actually Looks Like Rayaan 6 1606 December 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  DNA of girl from cave gives up genetic secrets frankiej 0 1291 August 31, 2012 at 11:31 am
Last Post: frankiej
  7,000 Year Old Caveman Bones Found; Oldest Modern Human DNA Annik 13 9912 July 2, 2012 at 2:23 am