Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloning is safer - the perils of sexual DNA combination?
Cloning is safer - the perils of sexual DNA combination?
I've known many people who are profoundly deformed and crippled, tragically, due to congenital birth defects. Would not cloning be a preferable means by which the species is perpetuated? Individuality/personality would, of course, still exist due to PROFOUND environmental influences. 

Sci fi?
RE: Cloning is safer - the perils of sexual DNA combination?
(October 8, 2021 at 6:32 am)Lawz Wrote: I've known many people who are profoundly deformed and crippled, tragically, due to congenital birth defects. Would not cloning be a preferable means by which the species is perpetuated? Individuality/personality would, of course, still exist due to PROFOUND environmental influences. 

Sci fi?

The biggest drawback to cloning humans appears to be the cost, estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars per clone. On the other hand, you can make people the traditional way for the price of a half bottle of scotch and poor judgement.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 8, 2021 at 6:32 am)Lawz Wrote: I've known many people who are profoundly deformed and crippled, tragically, due to congenital birth defects. Would not cloning be a preferable means by which the species is perpetuated? Individuality/personality would, of course, still exist due to PROFOUND environmental influences. 

Sci fi?

Genetic screening/counseling, but even then congenital birth defects still occur.

Axlotl tanks?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 8, 2021 at 7:47 am)brewer Wrote:

Sci fi?

Genetic screening/counseling, but even then congenital birth defects still occur.

Axlotl tanks?

Panic Don't you remember what the axolotl tanks turned out to be?
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Sci fi?

Absolutely not!  Combining DNA is what diversifies the gene pool, making the population more robust.  Genetic screening can be used to reduce potential diseases and in the future I believe genetic engineering will be employed.  Resorting to cloning alone would create copies of ourselves.  I would not be interested in that, though I can't speak for future populations.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
This concept makes me queasy as it makes me think of eugenics.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 8, 2021 at 9:46 am)Fireball Wrote:
(October 8, 2021 at 7:47 am)brewer Wrote: Genetic screening/counseling, but even then congenital birth defects still occur.

Axlotl tanks?

Panic Don't you remember what the axolotl tanks turned out to be?

Oh kamon, they were good breeder vessels, the gholas didn't end up that fucked up. Great
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 8, 2021 at 11:40 am)arewethereyet Wrote: This concept makes me queasy as it makes me think of eugenics.

No doubt, and for good reason.  It would require a level of integrity that humans currently do not possess.  I say that just so everyone understands that I don't take this subject lightly.

Although, I fully expect this technology will be employed before such appropriate time has arrived.  Just because we shouldn't doesn't mean someone won't.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(October 8, 2021 at 11:40 am)arewethereyet Wrote: This concept makes me queasy as it makes me think of eugenics.

What is your rational for denoting "eugenics," in all forms, abhorrent, rather than medicinal, dear lady arewethereyet?

There was a very recent UK ruling condoning the late abortion of Down Syndrome foetuses, for example.
One example is the movement that took place years ago to stop deaf people from having children. I took several classes on Deaf Culture and had hoped to become an interpreter before I got sidelined with breast cancer. Learning that there was a concerted effort to stop the deaf from having families was sickening. One of my teachers was a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults). She was not hearing impaired but ASL was her first language.

I also worked as a teen with a group of Down's Syndrome kids and was certified to teach swimming lessons to them. While there are certainly challenges...there are also certainly joys.

First of all...who decides what 'defects' should be done away with?

That's a prime example of a very slippery slope.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where in our dna are instincts coded? ignoramus 8 1069 December 8, 2018 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Marijuana + Medicare, a potent combination Alex K 25 1769 July 8, 2016 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Carthaginian DNA - Not So Much Of A Surprise. Minimalist 0 1284 May 26, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Question Where is the evolution tree for DNA? JamesT 4 987 April 28, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  DNA replication vid. MAN I LOVE THIS VIDEO! Brian37 7 1896 March 4, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Woman cured of disease by DNA mutation downbeatplumb 9 2134 February 9, 2015 at 3:43 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Is it possible to change sexual orientation? Dystopia 7 1394 August 11, 2014 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Diablo
  The ethics of cloning extinct animals BrokenQuill92 36 7170 June 20, 2014 at 11:11 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  People more likely to choose a spouse with similar DNA MountainsWinAgain 3 1035 May 28, 2014 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Sexual relationships in animals vs. humans Kayenneh 6 2954 March 29, 2014 at 1:35 am
Last Post: *Deidre*