Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 3:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am having fun learning about DNA structure.
I am having fun learning about DNA structure.
I have long since known what the following are. 

Adenine
Thymine 
Guanine 
Cytosine

Uracil replacing Thymine in RNA 

I still get confused sometimes over the difference between purines and pyrimidines. 

Purines have two rings in the nucleotide and pyrimidines have one ring in the nucleotides. But fore fucks sake purine is a shorter word, it should denote the one ring, and pyrimidines should denote two because it is a longer word. For that reason I always get confused. I demand a recount! 

The other thing that was slipping me up until today was 5 prime to 3 prime and 3 prime to 5 prime. The 5 and 3 refer to the position of carbon atoms in the sugar. The phosphate is basically the backbone, along with the sugar, and the base being like the rungs of a ladder. The inversion part was slipping me up, but now I get it. 

I also now know how to read a codon chart. 

I wish I had been more focused on this as a kid and teen rather than trying to fit in with bullies. I really felt dumb as a kid. This would have intimidated me as a kid. It seems so basic now, but I also don't have the performance anxiety of having to try to please teachers and my parents and feeling dumb when I failed. 

Looking at the cartoon representations of the structures really makes it easy to understand. But back then you didn't have the internet and it was more of a sink or swim attitude when it came to learning science. But now that I am not under any  pressure, I have learned that learning just about anything is nothing more than learning patterns and the language that describes those patterns, much like one would learn the parts of a car and how they interact.
RE: I am having fun learning about DNA structure.
Sorry for the double post.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(May 22, 2024 at 8:03 pm)Angrboda Wrote:

Absolutely not. 

What is wrong having fun learning? I love it now because I am doing it on my own without the pressure of school.
Knowing about DNA didn't do much to help me deal with the bullies in my youth.

Knowing how to throw a good right-cross did. Thanks, Dad.

(May 22, 2024 at 8:15 pm)Brian37 Wrote: What is wrong having fun learning? I love it now because I am doing it on my own without the pressure of school.

My dad used to say that school got in the way of his education. 

Walter Pater said that education (real education, not just school) increases a person's capacity for pleasure. I believe this. 

It's great to hear you're enjoying!
Learning is always useful no matter what the subject
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(May 23, 2024 at 12:47 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Knowing about DNA didn't do much to help me deal with the bullies in my youth.

Eerie - me own Da was a fan of uppercuts.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(May 23, 2024 at 12:47 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Knowing about DNA didn't do much to help me deal with the bullies in my youth.

Doesn't help when your dad beats you up too. My dad was an alcoholic bully.

And I could have done a lot better after he died by just staying in my basement and reading and learning like I have as an adult instead of giving a shit about what bullies thought of me.
(May 23, 2024 at 2:22 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Learning is always useful no matter what the subject

Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cloning is safer - the perils of sexual DNA combination? Duty 21 1820 October 14, 2021 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Where in our dna are instincts coded? ignoramus 8 1190 December 8, 2018 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Carthaginian DNA - Not So Much Of A Surprise. Minimalist 0 1338 May 26, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Question Where is the evolution tree for DNA? JamesT 4 1053 April 28, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Chicken Hawk having lunch IATIA 5 1280 December 1, 2015 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  DNA replication vid. MAN I LOVE THIS VIDEO! Brian37 7 1978 March 4, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Woman cured of disease by DNA mutation downbeatplumb 9 2237 February 9, 2015 at 3:43 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  People more likely to choose a spouse with similar DNA MountainsWinAgain 3 1070 May 28, 2014 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What DNA Actually Looks Like Rayaan 6 1658 December 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  DNA of girl from cave gives up genetic secrets frankiej 0 1316 August 31, 2012 at 11:31 am
Last Post: frankiej