Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where in our dna are instincts coded?
Where in our dna are instincts coded?
We may have mapped most animal's genomes, but I don't think we have any idea what 80-90% of the junk dna is for?
Like the gif below and eg: new born sea turtles scrambling straight for the sea within minutes of being born so as to not get eaten.
Same as eg: deer, wild horses, giraffes etc, desperately trying to standup and follow mother within a few hours of being born for the same reasons.

Then again the question should be: do we even know what it would look like in the genome even if we found it?
Innate knowledge is probably only a tiny % of dna programming of a complex animal we aren't familiar with. We have lots to learn.

[Image: giphy.gif]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Where in our dna are instincts coded?
We've known of evolution for less than two hundred years. I was in Uni when they were mapping the human genome.

We have the book, now we just need to learn how to read. Wink
(December 4, 2018 at 6:12 am)ignoramus Wrote: We may have mapped most animal's genomes, but I don't think we have any idea what 80-90% of the junk dna is for?
Like the gif below and eg: new born sea turtles scrambling straight for the sea within minutes of being born so as to not get eaten.
Same as eg: deer, wild horses, giraffes etc, desperately trying to standup and follow mother within a few hours of being born for the same reasons.

Then again the question should be: do we even know what it would look like in the genome even if we found it?
Innate knowledge is probably only a tiny % of dna programming of a complex animal we aren't familiar with. We have lots to learn.

[Image: giphy.gif]

It seems highly most innate neurologically driven behavior are directly coded into dedicated segments of the DNA. Instead, a large number of different segments, each playing multiple roles by interacting with different other sets of genes, play roles in configuring the brain with innate behavior drivers.
"It seems highly [something?] most innate neurologically driven behavior are directly coded into dedicated segments of the DNA."
The other way to look at it, is that "instinct" is not actually "coded" in dna...but that the structure of a brain (or any body) constrains what responses are most likely if confronted with a specific stimulus.  In this, instinct is not a list of things to do, but the sum of things most likely to happen in a given circumstance for a brain or body so constructed. So, why flight in fight or flight? Because having wings makes you strongly preferential to their use.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
In the basics.
I think in my fathers testicle (he only had one). I'll have to ask my son what he thinks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 4, 2018 at 10:29 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "It seems highly [something?] most innate neurologically driven behavior are directly coded into dedicated segments of the DNA."

Unlikely
Behind the battery lid.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cloning is safer - the perils of sexual DNA combination? Duty 21 1627 October 14, 2021 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Carthaginian DNA - Not So Much Of A Surprise. Minimalist 0 1287 May 26, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Question Where is the evolution tree for DNA? JamesT 4 992 April 28, 2016 at 11:49 pm
  DNA replication vid. MAN I LOVE THIS VIDEO! Brian37 7 1897 March 4, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Woman cured of disease by DNA mutation downbeatplumb 9 2145 February 9, 2015 at 3:43 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  People more likely to choose a spouse with similar DNA MountainsWinAgain 3 1036 May 28, 2014 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Intelligent Design, Proof VI - Instincts Muslim Scholar 57 22853 October 30, 2013 at 9:45 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  What DNA Actually Looks Like Rayaan 6 1605 December 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  DNA of girl from cave gives up genetic secrets frankiej 0 1290 August 31, 2012 at 11:31 am
Last Post: frankiej
  7,000 Year Old Caveman Bones Found; Oldest Modern Human DNA Annik 13 9908 July 2, 2012 at 2:23 am