Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
miracles and circumstances
miracles and circumstances
In yet another talk what was brought to the table was...

"God doesn't make bad things happen,that's the Devil,but God allows it to make you grow and test your faith."

any refutations? mine were...
Why is it that when good things happen you attribute it to God,but when not it's the devil? because who created the Devil in the first place?

The fact that God(an all knowing being) needs to test someone when it's clear he'd know the answer..makes no sense to me.
RE: miracles and circumstances
(May 29, 2014 at 9:05 pm)k2490 Wrote: In yet another talk what was brought to the table was...

"God doesn't make bad things happen,that's the Devil,but God allows it to make you grow and test your faith."

Why is it that when good things happen you attribute it to God,but when not it's the devil? because who created the Devil in the first place?

The fact that God(an all knowing being) needs to test someone when it's clear he'd know the answer..makes no sense to me.

Pretty much what I'd ask.

I've gone in circles with people when I've said, "But an all knowing god wouldn't have to test the faith of its followers"

The dance begins in earnest then.
Dying to live, living to die.
But, according to most christer faiths, gawd created Lucifer with full and perfect knowledge that Lucifer would rebel and become evil. Therefore, all bad/evil things come directly from gawd. Devil
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(May 29, 2014 at 9:05 pm)k2490 Wrote: In yet another talk what was brought to the table was...

It's not what God needs to know, the test is for the individual to learn from.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: But, according to most christer faiths, gawd created Lucifer with full and perfect knowledge that Lucifer would rebel and become evil. Therefore, all bad/evil things come directly from gawd. Devil

Even the Bible says that God created evil.
(May 29, 2014 at 10:20 pm)Godschild Wrote:

It's not what God needs to know, the test is for the individual to learn from.

GC

So an all knowing god would know what lessons the person needs to learn and be able to tell them directly or through his sexless little puppets - I mean "angels".

But apparently he's unable to do that in modern times. Whereas it was supposedly quite common in the OT days.

RJA
Dying to live, living to die.
Yeah, Whats up with the old Angel pony express? We don't hear from them anymore. Why did Angels suddenly become so shy in the age of cameras and science?
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(May 29, 2014 at 10:44 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Yeah, Whats up with the old Angel pony express? We don't hear from them anymore. Why did Angels suddenly become so shy in the age of cameras and science?

The God character and his angels died with the collapse of the Babylonian Empire. They won't return.
(May 29, 2014 at 10:26 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(May 29, 2014 at 10:20 pm)Godschild Wrote: It's not what God needs to know, the test is for the individual to learn from.

GC

So an all knowing god would know what lessons the person needs to learn and be able to tell them directly or through his sexless little puppets - I mean "angels".

But apparently he's unable to do that in modern times. Whereas it was supposedly quite common in the OT days.

RJA

You think a few stories about specific people includes an entire nation, that doesn't even make good sense. Life's hard knocks can be some of the best teachers.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 30, 2014 at 9:00 am)Godschild Wrote: Life's hard knocks can be some of the best teachers.

I agree, but God is not required for this.

The problem of evil is a matter of God choosing to allow suffering when he could just as easily instruct in a manner that would eliminate suffering. This means that if God exists he is either a flaming asshole or is not omnipotent.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1993 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 18607 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11252 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Jesus' imperfect miracles. Brakeman 32 7133 June 25, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: robvalue
Rainbow Bloody miracles from a bloody cult. Bob Kelso 22 4788 March 26, 2015 at 11:24 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Christianity has gotten Lazy with the miracles: Spooky 59 14260 December 25, 2014 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Nope
  Miracles KUSA 30 6574 February 3, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Miracles and Anti-supernaturalism BettyG 405 157728 August 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Jesus and Miracles FallentoReason 70 18127 August 23, 2013 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Pope John Paul II and the trouble with miracles wwjs 14 6365 July 9, 2013 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Full Circle