Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our brains got bigger because of starvation
Our brains got bigger because of starvation
I'm reading a book about human evolution ( Last Ape Standing by Chip Walter ) and i just read something interesting :

"While a chimps brain is about 350 cc, these grassland primates™ brains ran from 450 cc to 500 cc, a 25 to 40 percent increase.
The big question is why. The traditional scientific answer to this question is that a bigger brain is a better brain, so evolutions forces tended to favor smarter animals. That is true enough, but it still doesnt explain the mechanism that was causing the growth. What was forcing the issue? Why were larger brains evolving at all? Strange as it may seem, starvation might be the answer.
Numerous studies show that reducing the normal diets of creatures as different as fruit flies, mice, rats, and dogs by 35 to 40 percent will increase life span as much as 30 percent.

Cell growth on every level slows except for one key and remarkable exception: brain cell growth increases.

There the cells last longer, and they begin to make new versions of themselves faster, or at least the neurotrophins generated by the hypothalamus, which are the precursors of new brain cells, do. Not only that, other experiments show that food deprivation increases an appetiteâ stimulating peptide called ghrelin, which enables synapses to transform themselves by some molecular magic into cortical neurons.
You could say the body and the brain strike a bargain. To compensate for the aggressive growth of new neurons, the rest of the anatomy fasts, stretching scarce nutritional resources that it then redirects to the brain. "

I never heard of this before, what do you think ?
“ Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell "
RE: Our brains got bigger because of starvation
So we got smarter, and thus got the one edge we have over practically everything else in the world (outside of running endurance), because at one time we weren't doing very well as a species?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

What you are describing is an acquired trait - An response of the organism to a condition. Acquired traits are not heritable. The trait must have a genetic basis to be heritable. So if what you are saying about brain growing in response to starvation is true, it would only explain why the starving individual's brain might be larger, it can't explain why the brains of his non-starving offsprings also got bigger.
australopithecenes weren't chimps... why then would their brains need to be exact size?

whilst australopithecenes were apes as much as chimps bar walking on all fours, it's possible they needed a bigger brain due to different behaviour. gorillas and chimps are both apes, but aren't the same behaviourally.
(June 2, 2014 at 7:17 pm)Chuck Wrote: What you are describing is an acquired trait - An response of the organism to a condition. Acquired traits are not heritable. The trait must have a genetic basis to be heritable. So if what you are saying about brain growing in response to starvation is true, it would only explain why the starving individual's brain might be larger, it can't explain why the brains of his non-starving offsprings also got bigger.

Unless there is a heritable trait in there somewhere - like a greater capacity to increase brain size in response to certain conditions.

Its the first time I have heard of this theory so I can't say I have an opinion on it. There maybe something there but this doesn't look like the only answer.

Maybe in conjunction with the pressure put on the species by the change of habitat which rewarded these bipedal, slow moving, poorly armed hominids which could adapt the best - as in think their way out of the problem.

Further, it would explain the 40-50% of Americans who overeat and believe in creation. The more burgers you eat, the dumber you get.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
People in Ethiopia must be some smart mutherfuckers from all that lack of food.
Humans have the slowest metabolism of all of the primates, which contributes to our long lifespans. So maybe the slow metabolism and long lifespans enables us to have larger brains.

BTW, since our brains use about 20% of our daily calories it seems that starvation is not the way to get a larger brain.
(June 30, 2014 at 4:41 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: BTW, since our brains use about 20% of our daily calories it seems that starvation is not the way to get a larger brain.

Exactly what I was thinking: why would the body's reaction to lack of food be to increase the size of an organ that's one of, if not the highest energy consumers in our bodies?

Thinking
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
If the marginal benefit conferred by a bigger brain in acquiring calories is greater than the marginal calorie requirements of the bigger brain, than bigger brain, despite its calory requirement, would be of survival benefit in times of scarce calorie supply.

Btw, humans have well below average overall rate of metabolism compared to other large mammals of comparable body size and mass. So it seems reasonable to suppose some time on our primate evolution path, there was great selective pressure to reduce calorie intakes - ie cutting down on calorie intake conferred greater benefit than any profitable use we could put additional calories to. So that seem to run against the theory of survival benefit of bigger brains outweigh its calorie demand.
I guarantee the effect does not work on our dieting cat. Little Tubby there has definitely experienced a 50% drop in smarts since he went from 27 pounds to 18.

Bad Kitty!! Bad!! Bad!! Kitty !!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution "fails" AKA "where god seems to have got it wrong" Duty 44 2127 February 6, 2022 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Transgender kids’ brains resemble their gender identity, not their biological sex Foxaèr 19 3284 May 23, 2018 at 10:06 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  It must be true, because it's a Catholic study Foxaèr 15 1869 January 14, 2018 at 6:38 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  I've got WHAT ? Jesus fucking christ !! vorlon13 24 6255 June 4, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  I've got a lizard to feed. KnockEmOuttt 8 3736 July 15, 2012 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: KnockEmOuttt