Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did King David rape Bath-sheba?
Did King David rape Bath-sheba?
I'll let the Bible tell it:

2 Samuel 11:2-5 Wrote:And it came to pass at eventide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. And David send and inquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bath-sheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite? And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her (for she was purified from her uncleanness); and she returned unto her house. And the woman conceived; and she sent and told David, and said, I am with child.

Note that we are not informed that Bath-sheba consented to this. She was summoned by the king, who slept with her and sent her on home and thought nothing more of it until she informed him that she was with child.

David deals with this by summoning Uriah (Bath-sheba's husband, who is out fighting a war that David decided he was too busy to attend) and trying to get him to sleep with Bath-sheba so as to trick him into thinking that the child she bears is his. Uriah, however, seems to be a pretty loyal fellow, and refuses to enjoy even the basic comforts of home while his brothers-in-arms are on the battle front. David even tries getting him drunk, but even alcohol can't override Uriah's conscience. Note: the story does not involve Bath-sheba in any of this, so it's entirely possible that she is unaware of David's scheming or even that her husband is back. We cannot accuse her of complicity in the scheme, or of an unwillingness to come clean and explain to her husband what happened.

Finally, David realizes that Uriah is simply too good a person and does an appalingly cowardly thing-- he arranges for Uriah to be killed on the battle front. There is no ambiguity in his orders; he specifically explains that the reason he wants Uriah sent to the busiest part of the front is so he can be abandoned by his fellow soldiers and die at the hands of Israel's enemies. Upon being informed of her husband's death, Bath-sheba mourns him. David waits until her mourning period is over, then sends for her and takes her as a wife.

It is at this point that god decides to intervene. Uriah, had he not been treacherously set up to die in the field by the guy who had boned his wife, might have been a tad upset that god took so long to finally do something.

So... did David rape Bath-sheba? The case seems pretty strong. The story doesn't tell us how she reacts to being summoned to see the king, or what she said or did upon realizing what he wanted. Indeed, the story treats her as something of an afterthought; the prophet Nathan's moral fable treats her as the possession of another man, assuming it even refers to her at all. Nor is it that surprising, since the old testament god did not seem put off by rape. Yahweh is angry at David for setting up Uriah's death and for "taking" Uriah's wife; he's not particularly concerned with Bath-sheba aside from treating her as stolen goods.

The story implies that Uriah was a good man, loyal to his king and to his countrymen. His wife mourns his passing. If she consented to a one-night stand with the king, the story does not tell us. It doesn't say anything about her feeling guilty or being complicit in the act of adultery. And we cannot say that her guilt is established by the death of her child-- Yahweh specifically tells David that the child's death is punishment for the reproach that the king's actions brought upon god's name.

After being made to understand just how angry god was, and what he was going to have to suffer for his actions, David admits that he wronged... GOD. I guess Uriah and Bath-sheba don't mean anything to god, since he doesn't chastise David further for forgetting who it was he really mistreated. No, not at all! God immediately "puts away" David's sin and spares his life. Uriah stays dead. Bath-sheba remains the wife of the man who raped her, and will now bear a child that god himself has promised to kill. It's like JUSTICE ALL AROUND!!!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
RE: Did King David rape Bath-sheba?
It depends on whether Uriah's property can also be considered property of the king, I guess. David's crimes seems to be portrayed more as theft than anything else.

I doubt she really consented, but it's not like she could really say no if the guards brought her to his bedroom.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Quote:She was summoned by the king

(June 19, 2014 at 4:40 pm)Tonus Wrote: I guess Uriah and Bath-sheba don't mean anything to god, since he doesn't chastise David further for forgetting who it was he really mistreated. No, not at all! God immediately "puts away" David's sin and spares his life. Uriah stays dead. Bath-sheba remains the wife of the man who raped her, and will now bear a child that god himself has promised to kill. It's like JUSTICE ALL AROUND!!!

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Samuel+12

Actually, God IS pissed about what King David did to them!

Quote: 2 Samuel 12

12 The Lord sent Nathan to David. When he came to him, he said, “There were two men in a certain town, one rich and the other poor. 2 The rich man had a very large number of sheep and cattle, 3 but the poor man had nothing except one little ewe lamb he had bought. He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him.

4 “Now a traveler came to the rich man, but the rich man refrained from taking one of his own sheep or cattle to prepare a meal for the traveler who had come to him. Instead, he took the ewe lamb that belonged to the poor man and prepared it for the one who had come to him.”

5 David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the Lord lives, the man who did this must die! 6 He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity.”

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more. 9 Why did you despise the word of the Lord by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. 10 Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own.’
Quote: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul.

How come this 'all-knowing' god didn't know what would happen with "david"? Why is god always like a guy who gets caught with his dick hanging out?
(June 19, 2014 at 5:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: How come this 'all-knowing' god didn't know what would happen with "david"? Why is god always like a guy who gets caught with his dick hanging out?
I often wondered that too.

But the more I go back and re-read parts of the Bible, like these, the more it starts to read like an ancient mythological story, or a medieval fantasy novel.
Something closer to The Iliad or The Lord of the Rings than to reality.
Ding!

We have a winner.

Just literature.
Just to add one thing that no one commented on - Bathsheba was taking a bath in a place where she must have known that she could be seen by the king and maybe others.
(June 19, 2014 at 6:33 pm)Lek Wrote: Just to add one thing that no one commented on - Bathsheba was taking a bath in a place where she must have known that she could be seen by the king and maybe others.
It's the victim's fault, of course...

She obviously had it coming, right? (sarcasm)
(June 19, 2014 at 6:33 pm)Lek Wrote: Just to add one thing that no one commented on - Bathsheba was taking a bath in a place where she must have known that she could be seen by the king and maybe others.

Do you know what rape culture is? This comment is the kind of shit that perpetuates it, and it's disgusting. You're disgusting.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4455 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Church demands the victim apologize to pastor's wife since the pastor did the rape. Foxaèr 122 15816 September 17, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: rado84
  King James is the real Bible. KJV-reader 161 16324 August 11, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Mormon: "There is no such thing as rape." Tiberius 148 34997 December 9, 2014 at 11:03 am
Last Post: John V
  Rape in the Bible Nope 152 14195 December 8, 2014 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Stop Masturbation Now! And Help Preventing Self Rape. Zidneya 19 11649 June 28, 2014 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  David koresh vs Jesus Christ comparisons? xxxtobymac 7 1958 May 27, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Muslim cleric wants Canadian women to cover up to prevent rape. Ziploc Surprise 5 2819 July 21, 2012 at 9:42 am
Last Post: toro
  Jaysus effin' Christ!! Santorum on abortion due to rape LarissaAnn 54 23321 January 29, 2012 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  The rape of Africa Ziploc Surprise 8 4638 January 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist