Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illogical things can be real, like God, I have an idea
Illogical things can be real, like God, I have an idea
There is the computer, if we lived in at middle ages, the computer is very illogical to a thinker by that time, but you see it's real and we are using it to post here.

How can you still disprove an illogical entity like God despite this idea?
RE: Illogical things can be real, like God, I have an idea
Yep... It is true: illogical things exist... like your post!
Uhhhhh... what?
[Image: aM1Kn8R_460sa.gif]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Debunking reasons given for God's existence != disproving the existence of God.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(January 9, 2014 at 8:02 pm)orlox Wrote: There is the computer, if we lived in at middle ages, the computer is very illogical to a thinker by that time, but you see it's real and we are using it to post here.

How can you still disprove an illogical entity like God despite this idea?

a computer back then was illogical but over TIME, it has become real, for centuries the concept of gods has come to be and idea and is STILL and idea, it has not been proven with valid evidence, therefore, your argument isnt valid.
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
The OP is a load of Orlox.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
A computer wouldn't be illogical in the Middle Ages, it wouldn't have been understood. They didn't understand the Solar System at the time either, would they have claimed it was illogical at that time too?

Anyway, I think saying that illogical things can exist is very easily shown to be false. In logic (especially classical logic), there is a principle called the law of identity (A=A, that is, A is A). In other words, something is itself. One derivation the law of identity is the law of noncontradiction (A != !A, that is, A is not Not-A). In other words, something cannot be itself and not itself at the same time, in the same way. These laws in particular are self-evident laws that cannot be made false, since denying them necessitates assuming them to be true beforehand.

Anywayl the point is that these "laws" are ways we linguistically and mentally describe the necessary facts of reality, and they are the foundation of most logical systems (dialethetic frameworks can deny the law of noncontradiction). Given they self-evidently affirm the necessary facts of reality, obviously illogical things (by which I assume you must mean things which would have to violate these laws) cannot exist if they apply to all real things.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin

meh.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I suppose that illogical things exist (although nothing springs to mind at the moment), but what cannot exist is a thing that is itself and its opposite at the same time. For example, we don't have married bachelors or cubical spheres.

This is the case with God. God cannot exist while at the same time being merciful and just, wrathful and omniscient, etc.

For the record, here's a medieval computer:

[Image: abacus-1212476-m.jpg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jellyfish have no brain - can they feel pain? Duty 9 940 September 24, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  If God is a witness to all things... Mystic 50 6696 October 18, 2017 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 1216 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is one-world-language a good idea? Aoi Magi 45 6504 February 9, 2015 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  can identical twins have different religious beliefs? ignoramus 16 4052 June 25, 2014 at 9:05 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Does this idea really seem stupid? Dawud 18 5627 April 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Why ontological arguments are illogical liam 51 28118 August 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Morality, Justice, Greatness - do these things prove God? Mystic 25 9737 March 5, 2012 at 1:20 am
Last Post: AthiestAtheist
  Does belief in God make him real? DrDolittle 22 6108 October 18, 2011 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Wandiowns223
  Is it logical to use logic in a illogical universe? British_Atheist 23 9726 June 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: martin02