Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of life and love
Of life and love
Can (serious)theist/atheist romantic relationships work?
RE: Of life and love
If both are emotionally invested in their outlooks, probably not.

My son's mom was Catholic and I was atheist when we met, fell in love, and settled down, but she was a Cafeteria Catholic and not dogmatic; and I have never been a "my way or the highway" guy when it comes to beliefs. But had either one of us been hardliners, it would have fizzled earlier that it did in the end (over non-religious reasons).

Sure it can.
30 years married to a Lutheran. Two wonderful offspring.
Our religious arguments, like all religious arguments end in stalemate. Eventually it just requires tolerance.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Tough one. I guess it depends on the individuals in the relationship, so it's possible sure. I can honestly say I doubt I would be able to have a relationship with a theist. Whatever that says about me, I wouldn't hold my objections quiet. Especially if the issue of raising children came up, I don't think I could stand for a religious upbringing for them.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I'd say so, my wife and I haven't had a fight -ever- with 4 kids, all crammed in a little house in the middle of nowhere. The issue of how to raise children came up oncve with her father, not her. I squashed it, my wife doesn't believe in childhood indoctrination. To her, and a large subset of the christian population where she's from, baptism or other displays of faith lack full meaning until one comes of age and can truly be said to have made a commitment to faith (they also don't seem to think that children really need much in the way of god - they're pretty set in the big mans eyes). The only friction faith creates in my family is friction between her and her fathers interpretations of christ and how my staunch anti-theism seems to bring those two into sharp focus alongside one another.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It would heavily depend on the people and how strongly they feel concerning their beliefs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3092 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3676 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1389 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2087 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3106 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2892 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 9909 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, cali0 38 6847 November 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 152 13540 August 23, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: InsaneDane
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, Gustavo1 71 10119 August 19, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: robvalue