Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant on the "Soul-Making" Theodicy- WARNING MAY INDUCE VOMITING
Bug 
Rant on the "Soul-Making" Theodicy- WARNING MAY INDUCE VOMITING
Basically, I just had a non-Christian theist (let's just leave it at that as pinning down his religious views is like nailing jello to the wall) I was involved in an online discussion with tell me that "If God had a fridge, your picture would be on it."

He claimed that, despite being busy operating the entire universe, God has enough time to tailor individual tests for each of us to overcome during our lives because he loves each and every one of us.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFLOL

OK, continuing onward before I explode from laughter...

The idea he then put forward was that every test was within our capacity, we get to retake them and learn from them no matter how many times we feel we fail (i.e. relating it to sin) if we repent, and, most importantly, are y'all ready for this...

DUM...

DUM...

DUUUUUUMMMM!!!!

He then theorized that the goal of each of our tests is "to learn to place our complete trust in God...is there any wonder that we love our Father such that we would give our all for him?"

I would call that more of an abusive relationship first of all. "If you can survive being beaten by a two-by-four multiple times and not break up with me, I'll still love you."

Second of all, what about: volcanoes, lightning strikes, AIDS, tsunamis, hurricanes, miscarriages, and other lethal "tests" that are a.) not under human control and so are not attributable to human "free will" in any way (excluding for instance, wars, terrorism, crime, etc.), but must have been supposedly created by this all loving, all knowing God? What "soul-making" purpose do they have? If the people killed as infants go directly to heaven after their death, what purpose does that serve for God? (Not that anyone can make sense of why a god would decide to create the human race- other than boredom). And of course, as well all know, theists can't retreat to the special pleading of "mysterious ways."

Third of all, if we're going to be tested, why can we not directly face the testmaker and demand to know what's going on?!

I know this is all pretty basic PRATT stuff, but sometimes I get so mad at the word games that even my theist friends play when I ask the most simple questions...

Devil
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
RE: Rant on the "Soul-Making" Theodicy- WARNING MAY INDUCE VOMITING
I get so PO'd when dipshits talk about God not testing people beyond their faith.

Just one woman I know, snapped from the fucking tornado God sent after her. And then after she snapped, he sent her fibromyalgia, he sent her son to Afghanistan, he killed her dad with MRSA and it took over 2 years, and since she was now crazy, she couldn't cope with going on SS disability, so God made her homeless too.

(looking at her situation from the religiousites viewpoint, I am aware God didn't shit on her 5 times (and another dozen I didn't list), but it is just so fucked up to say that sort of thing to so many people)
Quote:He claimed that, despite being busy operating the entire universe, God has enough time to tailor individual tests for each of us to overcome during our lives because he loves each and every one of us.

You found yourself a genuine, down-to-earth, asshole with that one.
(July 18, 2014 at 11:42 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I get so PO'd when dipshits talk about God not testing people beyond their faith.

Just one woman I know, snapped from the fucking tornado God sent after her. And then after she snapped, he sent her fibromyalgia, he sent her son to Afghanistan, he killed her dad with MRSA and it took over 2 years, and since she was now crazy, she couldn't cope with going on SS disability, so God made her homeless too.

(looking at her situation from the religiousites viewpoint, I am aware God didn't shit on her 5 times (and another dozen I didn't list), but it is just so fucked up to say that sort of thing to so many people)

Yeah, some "test" that was. Maybe she just didn't love God hard enough.

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
Move to Australia!
Hardly anyone cares about religion here.
Then the weirdos will be the odd man out.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 19, 2014 at 12:33 am)ignoramus Wrote: Move to Australia!
Hardly anyone cares about religion here.
Then the weirdos will be the odd man out.

Oh, believe you me, I'm considering it.

(July 18, 2014 at 11:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:He claimed that, despite being busy operating the entire universe, God has enough time to tailor individual tests for each of us to overcome during our lives because he loves each and every one of us.

You found yourself a genuine, down-to-earth, asshole with that one.

[Image: obama-clapping.gif]

(July 18, 2014 at 11:42 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I get so PO'd when dipshits talk about God not testing people beyond their faith.

It sounds like she cracked under the Job experience.
I omitted a cheating husband, bariatric surgery, meth habit, hallucinations, special needs kid, estrangement from one kid, bipolar daughter, job losses, husband's job loss, husband not paying support following divorce, husbands parents winding up with kids and denying visitation, unsuccessful suicide attempt, eviction from women's center, mother's severe COPD, car wrecks and car repos, boyfriend having heart attack, falling prey to internet scams, first husband in overnight police standoff, first husband in severe car accident and becoming brain damaged, being raped, and incapacitating anxiety preventing her from helping herself.
(July 19, 2014 at 10:14 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I omitted a cheating husband, bariatric surgery, meth habit, hallucinations, special needs kid, estrangement from one kid, bipolar daughter, job losses, husband's job loss, husband not paying support following divorce, husbands parents winding up with kids and denying visitation, unsuccessful suicide attempt, eviction from women's center, mother's severe COPD, car wrecks and car repos, boyfriend having heart attack, falling prey to internet scams, first husband in overnight police standoff, first husband in severe car accident and becoming brain damaged, being raped, and incapacitating anxiety preventing her from helping herself.

Holy shit- at what point would this sadistic asshole of a god stop?

OK, OK, I worship you, now stop fucking with my life!!!! Worship (large)

Job had it easy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2364 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Free Will Theodicy FlatAssembler 64 3085 July 13, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  The problem of the soul zwanzig 142 10325 August 15, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Satan and Making Mock zwanzig 24 2249 May 21, 2021 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  If I lose my soul, do I die? robvalue 37 5191 September 4, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your Soul Count? Graufreud 39 4377 July 23, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Apologists that may be lying Bahana 30 7684 April 8, 2018 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Greatest I am
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3619 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  A simple God question if I may. ignoramus 28 5491 February 17, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Officially sold my "soul" for the second time. Foxaèr 2 1060 January 28, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd