Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global warming, facts pls
Global warming, facts pls
So some background.

About 5-6 months ago I was a firm believer in the traditional climate change story. But I was in an environmental class (because every civil engineering student is required to take classes on environmental science, atmospheric chemistry, and water quality. Why I do not know). I also had to go to lectures from environmental PhDs. One of the lectures stated that the science was still out. He stated that some empirical models showed cooling and that data from the past few years didn't fit with the traditional warming model. My other professor wouldn't comment on temperature, as he was more concerned about changes in water pH as a result of increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

So I did a bit of research and found that carbon dioxide is responsible for less than 25% of the total greenhouse effect, and human activity accounts for less than 25% of that. I found that current temperatures are still no higher than those during the "medieval warm period." I'm currently reading a book on atmospheric chemistry. So I'm wondering what the actual facts are on this.

On a related note I endorse efforts to reduce carbon emissions and promote sustainability. And this has promoted that. So, if it was true that climate change is somewhat overblown, is it still ok to exaggerate if it gets people motivated and acting in a more sustainable manner?
RE: Global warming, facts pls
If someone can make a dollar off of it then it will be exaggerated.
(July 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm)KUSA Wrote: If someone can make a dollar off of it then it will be exaggerated.

If someone can make a dollar off of denying it, then it will be denied.
If someone can make a dollar understating it, then it would be understated.
(July 29, 2014 at 6:12 pm)Natachan Wrote: So some background.

About 5-6 months ago I was a firm believer in the traditional climate change story. But I was in an environmental class (because every civil engineering student is required to take classes on environmental science, atmospheric chemistry, and water quality. Why I do not know). I also had to go to lectures from environmental PhDs. One of the lectures stated that the science was still out. He stated that some empirical models showed cooling and that data from the past few years didn't fit with the traditional warming model. My other professor wouldn't comment on temperature, as he was more concerned about changes in water pH as a result of increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

So I did a bit of research and found that carbon dioxide is responsible for less than 25% of the total greenhouse effect, and human activity accounts for less than 25% of that. I found that current temperatures are still no higher than those during the "medieval warm period." I'm currently reading a book on atmospheric chemistry. So I'm wondering what the actual facts are on this.

On a related note I endorse efforts to reduce carbon emissions and promote sustainability. And this has promoted that. So, if it was true that climate change is somewhat overblown, is it still ok to exaggerate if it gets people motivated and acting in a more sustainable manner?

you can argue the causes and the end points. But we are warming up. I don't care if they are phd's or not.

we are coming out of an ice age. err ... we are not cooling down.
(July 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm)KUSA Wrote: If someone can make a dollar off of it then it will be exaggerated.

All those petroleum, chemical, energy and automobile companies, on the other hand, purchase the services of scientists who deny climate change out of the goodness of their altruistic hearts, and in the interest of defending the common man from those money-grubbing scientists and their repeatedly-justified consensus conspiracy to ruin capitalism and destroy America.
I'm gonna close all the windows and doors and get my own green-house effect going Bong
Quote:you can argue the causes and the end points. But we are warming up. I don't care if they are phd's or not.

we are coming out of an ice age. err ... we are not cooling down.

I don't dispute the trend over the past 100-150 years that it has been warming up. We are coming out of the "little ice age" and some warming is to be expected. My question refers to catastrophic global temperature increase as a result of human influence. I also don't contest the idea that reliance on fossil fuels is unhealthy and unsustainable, and neither do these men. As I mentioned one of them studies water quality and worries how CO2 could affect pH and aquatic life.
Are the glaciers melting, or is it just me?
[Image: tumblr_ma7yphwTfN1qcayvko1_500.gif]
(July 29, 2014 at 7:12 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote:

All those petroleum, chemical, energy and automobile companies, on the other hand, purchase the services of scientists who deny climate change out of the goodness of their altruistic hearts, and in the interest of defending the common man from those money-grubbing scientists and their repeatedly-justified consensus conspiracy to ruin capitalism and destroy America.

Why on earth would the petro, chemical, and energy want to oppose green energy when there the ones producing it and funding green energy?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(July 29, 2014 at 6:12 pm)Natachan Wrote: So I did a bit of research and found that carbon dioxide is responsible for less than 25% of the total greenhouse effect, and human activity accounts for less than 25% of that.

Bullshit! Human activity accounts for nearly nearly ALL of the change in CO2 levels. Total CO2 is a combination of rather static levels of carbon in the atmosphere within the carbon cycle. Most of the land mass is covered in seasonal vegetation where plants extract co2 from the air to create plant products during the spring and summer months, but that carbon is released again with the vegetation die-off by decomposition and combustion. This is why the atmospheric CO2 levels have such a distinct seasonal pattern. There are more longterm patterns in the cycle as well matching with longer term plant die off. Some vegetation is buried before full decomposition and converts to fossil fuels over long periods of time. It is the extraction and burning of these fuels that brings new carbon into play and becomes a huge agent of change. The carbon stored in the perma-frost in the artic is the largest trigger event looming. If the typical fill-up at the pump of 15 gallons weighs about 6.4 lbs x 15 = 96 lbs and 85 % of that is carbon which gives us 81.5 lbs of carbon. When this is combined with oxygen from the air you get about 300 lbs of CO2 going into the air that already had a "normal" CO2 cycle balance. With one fill-up! Multiply that by the number of cars in our history and adding in all the coal and natural gas being burnt as well and only a madman would think it would have no adverse effect.

I suppose that climate deniers would also support dumping trash in the grand canyon as it would take years for that to effect the globe as well..
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Global warming: Are we doomed? A poll. Angrboda 266 16827 December 1, 2021 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What testing do science based facts get through to be validated? I believe in Harry Potter 27 2785 November 15, 2019 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  More Facts For Creatards to Choke On Minimalist 11 3957 January 17, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Facts about Darwin: psychological and mental illnesses king krish 48 7221 January 13, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Evolution Facts Mystical 168 30382 August 31, 2014 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Science Facts Thread Rayaan 2 1188 July 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  I need facts for evolution. manno 26 6054 October 4, 2012 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  This is What Global Warming Looks Like Minimalist 62 20740 August 30, 2012 at 1:46 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  Global dimming and warming. Ace Otana 43 14581 August 14, 2012 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  CREATARDS BEWARE - THIS THREAD CONTAINS FACTS Minimalist 3 3586 July 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda