Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need facts for evolution.
I need facts for evolution.
Hello, AF community. Excuse my long rant. I stumble across this forum today, and I was intrigue by the many response from atheist or "rationalist". I am a man just seeking the truth. This forum seems like a good source of intellectuals who might be able to enlighten me on evolution (or the reason there is no God). I'll tell you all upfront that I am a Christian, and of a Christian background. Don't let that deter you. I am open minded, and open to all views, so long it is accurate. I just wants some convincing that evolution is true, if indeed it's true. I want cold, hard facts, not speculation, that can be proven using scientific principles: observable, repeatable, falsifiable, etc. Many atheist I know never provide solid reasons for their belief, but simply say "I haven't studied it indept ", and refers to the scientists who have. It seems everyone is pointing to someone else for the evidence. The atheist point to scientist, the scientist point to the anthropologist, the anthropologist point to the biologist, and so on. Give me the evidences (One by one, please. I'm not a machine) so I can discern for myself what is truth. Thank you.
RE: I need facts for evolution.
Evolution isn't any reason that there is no god (it's not really a "reason" for anything..at least not the way we normally use the word). Cold hard facts for the cold hard fact of evolution? You have a particular theory in mind? I can do you one better than giving you the evidence...I could suggest an experiment. You have any luck growing potted plants?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Here.

http://talkorigins.org/origins/faqs.html

Enjoy.
How much do you know about DNA, how much biology have you studied?

(October 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm)manno Wrote: Many atheist I know never provide solid reasons for their belief, but simply say "I haven't studied it indept ", and refers to the scientists who have.

Actually, all atheists are not biologists, so to say "I don't know, but I do know someone who does" is an intellectually honest answer. You wouldn't ask a cosmetologist to fix your electrical wiring, so why frown when people refer to experts?

(And welcome to AF, btw!)
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(October 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm)manno Wrote: . I want cold, hard facts, not speculation, that can be proven using scientific principles: observable, repeatable, falsifiable, etc.

If you do not rigorously apply those standards to examining the claims underpinning your own christian beliefs, then you lack the intellectual honesty to make anything of cold, hard facts even when they are presented you. So it is disingenuous of you to ask.

But if you are genuinely intellectually honest, then it's hard to see why it wouldn't be more satisfying to learn the facts underpinning evolution from the mouth of scientists who knows it best. So please don't pretend to ask us as an excuse to engage in typical airy idiotically confident christian exercises in self-satisfied sophistry. Find out the facts yourself. There are large volume of high quality, scientifically vetted popular literature, many adapted to even the meanest understanding.
Read "Why Evolution Is True" by Jerry A. Coyne.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Why not go to a local book store, go to the science section and find a book? Is that not easier than asking other people?
Cunt
This is a really good one too

[Image: 41ZCFHDMNKL._SS500_.jpg]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesiz...rev3.shtml

This is pretty simple evidence here.
There are no reasons for the non-existence of a god ("reason" isn't really compatible here). We can only analyse what we see around us using our own mental faculties and navigate whether these things came (or could have come) from a superior maker.

Nobody can disprove the existence of a god for the same reasons that nobody can prove it. The very nature of a supposed god forbids us to do so. In the meantime, something pretty strong can be said about the probability.

Minimalist provided a link to Talk Origins for you - I want to stress the importance of that site. It is a pretty concise archive of different arguments and elaborations that you might find helpful.

Footnote: Atheism is the rejection of a god-claim. Nothing more. It is not a belief that is opposite to that of a theist, it is unbelief. Kindly keep this in mind when you chat with your atheist friends again. And welcome!
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What testing do science based facts get through to be validated? I believe in Harry Potter 27 2768 November 15, 2019 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Need help with evolution Won2blv 24 3841 May 29, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  More Facts For Creatards to Choke On Minimalist 11 3952 January 17, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Facts about Darwin: psychological and mental illnesses king krish 48 7149 January 13, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Evolution Facts Mystical 168 30290 August 31, 2014 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Global warming, facts pls Natachan 31 4553 August 13, 2014 at 1:06 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Science Facts Thread Rayaan 2 1183 July 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  CREATARDS BEWARE - THIS THREAD CONTAINS FACTS Minimalist 3 3580 July 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda