Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone ever published an ePUB (eBook)?
Has anyone ever published an ePUB (eBook)?
So I'm trying to convert my odt. file into an ePub. file so that I can publish my book through the various eBook formats available but it seems very confusing. Formatting it into ePub makes everything look awful. Has anyone ever done this before....help?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Has anyone ever published an ePUB (eBook)?
What are you using to translate the format?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(July 31, 2014 at 8:53 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: What are you using to translate the format?

Well I downloaded calibre but I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. The website I'm publishing the paperback through has an Assistant program wherein they have a professional handle it but I'm not trying to pay $99 for that because if I wanted to make any revisions, I'd have to pay $99 each time. I'd rather find a program that makes it easy for me to do it on my own or find someone who can easily do it for me...
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Well, that shits on my plans. I was going to recommend Calibre as it has flawlessly translated every format I've thrown at it, except PDF.

Still, you can look for third party add-ons for Calibre that may make the translation better.
(July 31, 2014 at 9:07 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Well, that shits on my plans. I was going to recommend Calibre as it has flawlessly translated every format I've thrown at it, except PDF.

Still, you can look for third party add-ons for Calibre that may make the translation better.

I'm confused about the heading 1, 2, and 3 crap I have to insert into my document to translate it correctly. And I have to get rid of certain page styles? If I sent you an odt. version of the document would you be able to put it in Calibre yourself and help me better? And this metadata shit...no clue.
If you are publishing it yourself, why not just use a PDF file.
(July 31, 2014 at 9:36 pm)psychoslice Wrote: If you are publishing it yourself, why not just use a PDF file.

The big name distributors like Barnes and Nook Nook and Kindle apparently won't accept that format.
(July 31, 2014 at 9:33 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(July 31, 2014 at 9:07 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Well, that shits on my plans. I was going to recommend Calibre as it has flawlessly translated every format I've thrown at it, except PDF.

I'm confused about the heading 1, 2, and 3 crap I have to insert into my document to translate it correctly. And I have to get rid of certain page styles? If I sent you an odt. version of the document would you be able to put it in Calibre yourself and help me better? And this metadata shit...no clue.

I don't know that I'll have any better success, but if you want to send it to me I can give it a shot. I may have an add-on that you don't.
(July 31, 2014 at 9:39 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote:
(July 31, 2014 at 9:33 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I'm confused about the heading 1, 2, and 3 crap I have to insert into my document to translate it correctly. And I have to get rid of certain page styles? If I sent you an odt. version of the document would you be able to put it in Calibre yourself and help me better? And this metadata shit...no clue.

I don't know that I'll have any better success, but if you want to send it to me I can give it a shot. I may have an add-on that you don't.
PM your email.
(July 31, 2014 at 8:50 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: So I'm trying to convert my odt. file into an ePub. file so that I can publish my book through the various eBook formats available but it seems very confusing. Formatting it into ePub makes everything look awful. Has anyone ever done this before....help?

Disclaimer: I have no experience with eBook publishing. However, I do have experience with general document conversion that may be useful.

Your source file is .odt, which I assume is from OpenOffice / LibreOffice, etc? It's a common format, but the world kind of revolves around Microsoft Office (sadly). You might try exporting your document in Word (.doc) format and see if that has better results. (you could try other formats as well). I've had pretty good results exporting OpenOffice docs to MS Office formats, as long as they didn't have a ton of odd markup.

You might also see if the conversion software you're using recommends a particular format.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The only gun anyone should ever own Foxaèr 10 1628 May 20, 2018 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does Anyone Else Ever Feel Like This...? Edwardo Piet 14 2241 November 17, 2017 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Has God ever wondered where he came from? ignoramus 6 927 July 23, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Ever heard anyone say this word? Edwardo Piet 28 3323 September 17, 2016 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Does anyone know if Amy Poehler has a religion or believes in God? poehlerfan 22 5779 March 5, 2015 at 2:15 am
Last Post: c172
  Have you ever had sex with someone who has autism? Phatt Matt s 26 4097 April 9, 2014 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Has anyone heard of Susanne Eman? Aractus 55 23658 January 13, 2014 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  The friend zone is the worst place to ever be in ever. Sakumofo 38 11504 October 6, 2013 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Aegrus
  Has Anyone Heard of This Book? Aegrus 0 1002 March 13, 2012 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Aegrus
  Has anyone else here been to.... Dotard 11 2572 April 13, 2011 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Dotard