Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I thought I was doing myself a favour
I thought I was doing myself a favour
I've been studying this critical thinking course and I'm a little disappointed. The material seems to be applicable in an academic environment and doesn't really have real world application. Maybe that didn't come out right. What I mean is that it's great for writing research papers and theses. But for figuring out things like bypassing a barrier to entry for a business...it just doesn't really cater to that.

I'm not through the course yet. I haven't even got to the part about argument mapping. The fact that there's a chapter on argument mapping is precisely what I'm talking about. I don't want to be analysing people's arguments all the god damn time. A lot of the focus so far has been on semantics. Maybe I made a mistake by taking this course. I should've gone for something more tuned to problem solving. I don't wanna be some wise ass behind a fucking computer screen. Just what the hell are the benefits of critical thinking?
8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
RE: I thought I was doing myself a favour
(August 5, 2014 at 8:41 am)BlackMason Wrote: I've been studying this critical thinking course and I'm a little disappointed. The material seems to be applicable in an academic environment and doesn't really have real world application. Maybe that didn't come out right. What I mean is that it's great for writing research papers and theses. But for figuring out things like bypassing a barrier to entry for a business...it just doesn't really cater to that.

I'm not through the course yet. I haven't even got to the part about argument mapping. The fact that there's a chapter on argument mapping is precisely what I'm talking about. I don't want to be analysing people's arguments all the god damn time. A lot of the focus so far has been on semantics. Maybe I made a mistake by taking this course. I should've gone for something more tuned to problem solving. I don't wanna be some wise ass behind a fucking computer screen. Just what the hell are the benefits of critical thinking?

The benefit of critical thinking is that you'll be able to analyze an argument for its truth-value and make appropriate decisions as a result.

Critical thinking aids problem-solving by helping you to identify problems which may be inherent in your thinking.

(August 5, 2014 at 8:41 am)BlackMason Wrote: I've been studying this critical thinking course and I'm a little disappointed. The material seems to be applicable in an academic environment and doesn't really have real world application. Maybe that didn't come out right. What I mean is that it's great for writing research papers and theses. But for figuring out things like bypassing a barrier to entry for a business...it just doesn't really cater to that.

Informally, you do it every day: every time you make a decision, you're using critical thinking (to a greater or lesser extent) to weigh up your options so that you make 'the right' decision.

Formally, I don't know the syllabus of your course but speaking as a Business Analyst working in IT & Business Change for the Financial Services sector, I can tell you that the ability to think critically is central to my job. For me, the big 3 benefits are:

- I can apply Business Analysis methodologies appropriately, precisely and accurately, delivering real-world results
- I can help businesses understand themselves and their needs in order to maximise benefits
- I can analyse, understand & articulate the business implications of proposals and requirements

I also see others, across a variety of roles, putting critical thinking to good use.
Sum ergo sum
(August 5, 2014 at 8:51 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The benefit of critical thinking is that you'll be able to analyze an argument for its truth-value and make appropriate decisions as a result.

Critical thinking aids problem-solving by helping you to identify problems which may be inherent in your thinking.

My point of contention is that it is focused on arguing. I'm not a professional debtor nor do I aspire to be one. There seems to little in the way of real problem solving. Not every life situation needs to be argued.

(August 5, 2014 at 8:53 am)Ben Davis Wrote:

Informally, you do it every day: every time you make a decision, you're using critical thinking (to a greater or lesser extent) to weigh up your options so that you make 'the right' decision.

Formally, I don't know the syllabus of your course but speaking as a Business Analyst working in IT & Business Change for the Financial Services sector, I can tell you that the ability to think critically is central to my job. For me, the big 3 benefits are:

- I can apply Business Analysis methodologies appropriately, precisely and accurately, delivering real-world results
- I can help businesses understand themselves and their needs in order to maximise benefits
- I can analyse, understand & articulate the business implications of proposals and requirements

I also see others, across a variety of roles, putting critical thinking to good use.

I don't see how someone without formal training in critical thinking can't do that. I'm sure you nor your colleagues have formal training in the discipline. But you're doing just fine.

How's that for irony? I'm using critical thinking to show you that it's not very useful.
8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
You don't need formal training. Learn the common fallacies, and you can pick up the rest on the fly. Don't worry, there are plenty of people who will be glad to help you learn from your mistakes. Smile
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(August 5, 2014 at 10:49 am)BlackMason Wrote: My point of contention is that it is focused on arguing. I'm not a professional debtor nor do I aspire to be one. There seems to little in the way of real problem solving. Not every life situation needs to be argued.

I can sense your frustration, but don't undervalue informal logic as a critical thinking skill for the purpose of problem solving. In my experience many problems go unsolved, because the actual problem is buried in reports, power point presentations and associated technical jargon and business speak. Critical thinking can help wade through the cover my ass bullshit in order to expose the real problem that can then be addressed.

And make no mistake, everything that happens leading up to a decision is an argument: how do we prioritize our problem solving, what's the resource allocation split, do we implement the optimum solution or take on a certain amount of risk for a less expensive solution, how do we price a new product/service, how much risk does our competitor's new activity really represent, does it deserve a response, can we do something internally, do we need to find external expertise, etc.

Another great skill to have is an understanding of statistical analysis and data interpretation. People trying to bullshit you will throw around numbers to bolster their arguments and it's not uncommon with a few simple questions regarding the data set to conclude that the numbers don't represent the conclusion being drawn.
Cato, I like your style. Your interpretation is very good and encouraging.
Let me say clearly: the things you think you need from university and the things you really need aren't the same. If you knew everything about everything, you wouldn't be a student-- you'd be God.

Many of the courses I thought were central to my dream job have been mostly forgotten-- made obsolete by new technologies or ideas, etc. Some of the courses I thought were just requirement-padding filler ended up being fundamental to almost everything I do in life.

My advice-- absorb the material as full as you can, and think deeply about its implications. I'd be surprised if you didn't find this stuff extremely later sooner rather than later.
(August 6, 2014 at 2:46 am)bennyboy Wrote: Let me say clearly: the things you think you need from university and the things you really need aren't the same.

So true. Earning a degree simply means you're trainable. The flavor of degree allows for certain assumptions regarding how much effort will be required to make someone minimally productive.

Back to the critical thinking/data interpretation bit. Example from NPR this morning.

NPR was reporting on Russian hackers collecting a billion password credentials. Part of the report stated that there are 3 billion internet users and concluded that that one third of all internet users had accounts compromised.

The problem with this conclusion shouldn't be hard to grasp. I'm disappointed that NPR made this reasoning mistake.
(August 6, 2014 at 8:26 am)Cato Wrote: Back to the critical thinking/data interpretation bit. Example from NPR this morning.

NPR was reporting on Russian hackers collecting a billion password credentials. Part of the report stated that there are 3 billion internet users and concluded that that one third of all internet users had accounts compromised.

The problem with this conclusion shouldn't be hard to grasp. I'm disappointed that NPR made this reasoning mistake.

What a school boy error. They didn't account for people having more than one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1674 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thought experiement# 117. The measure of man. ignoramus 12 1021 January 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: tackattack
Thumbs Up Allow Me to Introduce Myself Objectivist 54 6647 September 19, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 958 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Thought police? ignoramus 51 6639 April 6, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Shell B
  #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" ErGingerbreadMandude 108 12451 May 20, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Athene
  Inspirational thought of the day Heat 33 6193 November 17, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Omniscience: A thought experiment noctalla 58 7940 April 26, 2015 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Critical thought is hard urlawyer 56 11220 April 19, 2015 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Does Deep Thought Lead to God? Here's a Shallow Answer Jenny A 31 5188 September 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam