Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Great Helath Care System
Our Great Helath Care System
I imagine this is fine with the republicunts.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/06...tail=email

Quote:Last August, Baer Hanusz-Rajkowski, of Bayonne, accidentally cut his finger with the claw-end of a hammer. He says he waited a few days for it to heal but the cut didn’t seem to be closing so he went to the Bayonne Medical Center emergency room to ask whether he should get stitches.

The nurse practitioner determined no stitches were necessary, he says. There was no X-ray either.

Instead, Hanusz-Rajkowsk got hit with a $8,200 bill for the emergency room visit, the I-Team has learned. On top of that, Bayonne Medical Center charged $180 for a tetanus shot, $242 for sterile supplies, and $8 for some antibacterial ointment in addition to hundreds of dollars for the services of the nurse practitioner.

Hey...if he just waited a while gangrene would have set in and it would have rotted off!
RE: Our Great Helath Care System
Republicans are fine with it. Course they pretend that the cost isn't passed to the rest of us anyways, but that is another subject.
There's so much wrong with our healthcare system and the bill is outrageous, but why the fuck would you go to the ER for this?

I don't recall which hospitals are involved, but I heard a story on NPR that a couple hospitals in the NYC area have reorganized and restaffed their emergency departments. Understanding that some people have no other choice and trying to keep their trauma staff from routine care, these hospitals have what looks and feels like a regular doctor's office attached. Based on initial assessment, those with non-emergent needs are herded to the 'other' side. The claim is that the process is actually saving cost.
At risk of sounding *gasp* conservative, which I am fiscally, the problem with healthcare is that it's divorced from the market.

We mostly pay for healthcare with insurance. The insurance is not analogous to fire or auto-insurance as it's intended to pay for ordinary expected expenses as well as catastrophic ones---sort of like if your auto insurance paid for oil changes. The result is something like this: Suppose that unless you had grocery insurance, you had to buy groceries at a highly inflated price to allow the government and grocery insurance companies to get 80% discounts from the grocery store. You take your cart into the dirty ill stocked store with only one brand name per item and no prices. Some items have been deemed unnecessary by the government (like chocolate, wine and inexplicably wheat gluten) and are not carried or must be bought elsewhere or cannot be bought on your plan though they are there on the shelves tantalizing you. You fill your cart with this non-competitive stuff and pay a $5 co-pay at check-out. A year later your grocery insurance is doubled because you and the people in your grocery insurance group bought too much.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Don't know if this would work everywhere, but the hospital my sis works at charges everybody $3 to use the ER.

For some reason, they have seen a huge drop in unnecessary visits from the un and underinsured and from folks with non-emergency conditions. Everyone who shows up gets a referral card to the adjoining clinic if it turns out not to be an emergency.
(August 7, 2014 at 7:16 pm)Jenny A Wrote: At risk of sounding *gasp* conservative, which I am fiscally, the problem with healthcare is that it's divorced from the market.

I agree with this and everything that followed, but must add that the supply in the market is artificially suppressed. There are only so many seats alloted for medical school.

There are other reasons for costs being high. By government decree through licensing practices there is an abusurd amount of care that only doctors are allowed to perform by law that registered nurses could easily do. Medicare/Medicaid also artificially establishes an artificial minimum charge for services.

The direct marketing of prescription drugs is also a hideous practice.
(August 7, 2014 at 7:46 pm)Cato Wrote:
(August 7, 2014 at 7:16 pm)Jenny A Wrote: At risk of sounding *gasp* conservative, which I am fiscally, the problem with healthcare is that it's divorced from the market.

I agree with this and everything that followed, but must add that the supply in the market is artificially suppressed. There are only so many seats alloted for medical school.

There are other reasons for costs being high. By government decree through licensing practices there is an abusurd amount of care that only doctors are allowed to perform by law that registered nurses could easily do. Medicare/Medicaid also artificially establishes an artificial minimum charge for services.

The direct marketing of prescription drugs is also a hideous practice.
Agreed!
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 7, 2014 at 7:16 pm)Jenny A Wrote: We mostly pay for healthcare with insurance. The insurance is not analogous to fire or auto-insurance as it's intended to pay for ordinary expected expenses as well as catastrophic ones---sort of like if your auto insurance paid for oil changes.
Because that is what the customer wants and that is what the market demands. You gonna tell me that both the customer and the market are wrong? People like to get something for their money. Insurance companies still have a mint practically attached to them - so I don't want to hear any bitching from that corner either.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Why not just implement a universal healthcare system on a State level and quit the bullshit?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 7, 2014 at 8:11 pm)Blackout Wrote: Why not just implement a universal healthcare system on a State level and quit the bullshit?

Attempts by states to exert any independent control over anything meaningful results in the federal government withholding funds. The open secret is that plenty of programs are managed at the state level, but heavily subsidized by federal coffers. The federal government lays down the law and if a state strays too far it will stop sending money.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 934 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  6 of 7 great seven is use Latin ABC Interaktive 26 2083 April 28, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The prospect of starting a family in today's economic system Macoleco 23 2364 October 3, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Hospital system overwhelmed Spongebob 35 2618 August 27, 2021 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 2111 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  And TheTrumptard Will Still Not Care.... Minimalist 8 1063 August 1, 2018 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Aroura
  What would you change about the American public school system? Bahana 53 6084 April 17, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
Question Coveny’s plan for health care Coveny 54 9816 October 21, 2017 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Amarok
  The Health Insurance That The Republicunts Think Is So Fucking Great Minimalist 7 1724 October 18, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Great GOP Civil War Minimalist 19 3793 September 18, 2017 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Amarok