Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:51 am

Poll: With my atheistic schema send me to Hell?
This poll is closed.
Yes. You're going to Hell.
12.50%
3 12.50%
No. All dogs go to heaven, bitch.
4.17%
1 4.17%
No.
16.67%
4 16.67%
No, so eat, drink, and be merry!
66.67%
16 66.67%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be honest, am I going to hell for "my" atheism?
Be honest, am I going to hell for "my" atheism?
My interactions with the religious after leaving religion has brought me to the conclusion that many Christians love to gossip the possibility of my eternal damnation and suffering. Like, nothing has changed since I left religion and became atheist except well...I am no longer mormon and no longer believe in god, other wise, it's just the same old Q1C that existed before the atheism. I woke up a couple weeks ago surprised thinking "wow, I have not broken any laws and neither do I indulge in reckless behavior but I have been atheist for 10 months! I thought I would have surely become immoral by now...since, you know, that's what everyone was telling me."

So tell me, am I going to hell just simply because of a changed philosophical schema?

and if so, provide empirical proof to your hell and the "god" that will send me there if I don't repent RIGHT NOW.

This is a serious request, I have not yet received the proof necessary, even after asking countless people.

I haven't figured a way to edit the poll, it should read "will******* my atheistic shema send me to hell?"
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Be honest, am I going to hell for "my" atheism?
Anything's possible but probably not!
You can kill 1000 people and still not go to hell.
Go for it!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(August 13, 2014 at 2:10 am)ignoramus Wrote: Anything's possible but probably not!
You can kill 1000 people and still not go to hell.
Go for it!

You're right. All I need to do is assert that "god told me to" and all morals go straight out the window in the name of religious zealotry!
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
Quote: that many Christians love to gossip the possibility of my eternal damnation and suffering.

I'm sure most of them jerk off to such thoughts. Nothing they like more than imagining their invisible sky-daddy tormenting their earthly enemies for all eternity.
(August 13, 2014 at 2:05 am)Quantum1Connect Wrote: So tell me, am I going to hell just simply because of a changed philosophical schema?
This infers that you could dummy-map your value-systems to acceptable values in the religious q-set with a suitable philosophic scheme file. That seems an appropriate way to bypass restrictions in the religious rule-set.

Also, no. There's no such place.
Sum ergo sum
I don't think many religious people really take it seriously. I can't recall knowing anyone who expressed real pain over the thought that a loved one may be suffering constant, unending torment for not finding god's favor. Even among fundamentalists (although some of them strike me as the type of people who would emotionally shut away anyone who didn't meet their own zealous standards). Be it a lake of fire and constant agony, or the concept of "separation from god" and whatever agony that instills, few people seem concerned about it. I think it's too incomprehensible for people to take seriously.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Didn't one of the early church fathers say that one of the best things about going to heaven was that you would be able to look down and watch all the sinners burning in hell?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
No evidence of there ever being a thing called hell. So no, most likely not.

Begs the question as to why anyone/thing would bestow eternal damnation on a being for its beliefs over and above its actions. But that's the silliness of religion for you!
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
If you have three minutes to spare, Quantum, then I think this short video from Tom Wright is worth watching, if only to show the different ways Christians can think about hell.

As for me, I look around me. Can people go to hell, or be in hell, here in this life? I'd say yes. Can people's own choices sometimes lead them, or others, there? Again, I'd say yes. Anybody with any experience of addiction probably knows a little about a hell they initially chose. Anybody consumed by hate (with or without associated violence) probably knows about hell. I see hell as destructive attitudes and behaviours that can reach a point where the person rejects those trying to save them, or others, from those destructive behaviours. They say 'no, I don't want healing on your terms'.

If you like fiction then C.S.Lewis's The Great Divorce is a very enjoyable imaginative read on what heaven and hell might mean or be like. I don't think you need to be a theist, let alone a Christian, to enjoy it.
(August 13, 2014 at 2:05 am)Quantum1Connect Wrote: My interactions with the religious after leaving religion has brought me to the conclusion that many Christians love to gossip the possibility of my eternal damnation and suffering. Like, nothing has changed since I left religion and became atheist except well...I am no longer mormon and no longer believe in god, other wise, it's just the same old Q1C that existed before the atheism. I woke up a couple weeks ago surprised thinking "wow, I have not broken any laws and neither do I indulge in reckless behavior but I have been atheist for 10 months! I thought I would have surely become immoral by now...since, you know, that's what everyone was telling me."

So tell me, am I going to hell just simply because of a changed philosophical schema?

and if so, provide empirical proof to your hell and the "god" that will send me there if I don't repent RIGHT NOW.

This is a serious request, I have not yet received the proof necessary, even after asking countless people.

I haven't figured a way to edit the poll, it should read "will******* my atheistic shema send me to hell?"
Human beings cannot honestly answer that question, regardless of whether they think that they can. God makes those decisions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2272 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Credible/Honest Apologetics? TheJefe817 212 20334 August 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1467 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2685 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 2901 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 9074 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The ECLIPSE! It's going to be a sign from GAWD! drfuzzy 148 33046 January 5, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Nice Going, "God." Minimalist 65 17144 October 13, 2017 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Here's Why The US is Going Right Down The Shitter Minimalist 18 5037 August 2, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  How long was the rape scandal going on? Nihilist Virus 11 2741 June 13, 2016 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah