Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone else notice a change of pace in christianity?
anyone else notice a change of pace in christianity?
i remember like 10 years ago when I was a Christians pastors would always spout how "god is with us every step of the way" and "all our days go according to him" - but nowadays when I get the 'honor' of listening to their words of wisdom, they basically say "sorry god cant, i mean wont really helps us because of free will and man must face the consequences of his choice and people will continue to starve and die until he learns....but he loves us all! in fact its because he loves us so much that he wont help people who starve and die and are sick - its the deepest love in the world, our human minds cant even grasp it"

and then you see the faces of people in the pews like "hm? oh well, makes sense, i think...I AGREE!!"
RE: anyone else notice a change of pace in christianity?
Organised religion on the whole is just becoming less and less relevant in today's society and people are slowly but surely starting to realise this. Most religions are desperately trying to keep their appeal up by trying to change with the times (just look at how the Catholic Church is trying to change their image with Francis). Thing is, as the common person becomes more scientifically literate (or should I say, more intelligent?) the obvious flaws with organised religion just become more and more apparent. I was just thinking about this, how long until these religions die out? Will they ever? I think with every generation, less and less people are going to church. More and more people are just looking at religion and seeing it as the stupid, pointless thing it is. Maybe within my lifetime we'll see the majority of people in America identify as agnostic? Maybe a bit optimistic, but certainly in Europe, organised religion seems to be losing its relevancy and influence with every day that goes by.
Nah - same shit - different decade.

The bullshitters keep throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.
Same shit, but with more hesitation from the slightly less brain dead, and more shrill desperation from the slightly more greasy.
Don't know?

But I see them expanding doctrine to bring in the homosexuals, and maybe women priests and marriage. They will do whatever it takes to keep the money flowing. The older gen is dying off and the new gen wont go for fire and brimstone.
I think that most religions change as time passes and different people take over positions of power or influence. So many religious books and texts seem to be open to interpretation, which also makes it easier for them to incorporate incremental changes over time.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Our job, is to get just enough of the young ones to embrace unrelenting Literalism and Inerrancy to ruin it for the rest of them !!

ROFLOL
(August 13, 2014 at 10:45 am)Napoléon Wrote: Organised religion on the whole is just becoming less and less relevant in today's society and people are slowly but surely starting to realise this. Most religions are desperately trying to keep their appeal up by trying to change with the times (just look at how the Catholic Church is trying to change their image with Francis). Thing is, as the common person becomes more scientifically literate (or should I say, more intelligent?) the obvious flaws with organised religion just become more and more apparent. I was just thinking about this, how long until these religions die out? Will they ever? I think with every generation, less and less people are going to church. More and more people are just looking at religion and seeing it as the stupid, pointless thing it is. Maybe within my lifetime we'll see the majority of people in America identify as agnostic? Maybe a bit optimistic, but certainly in Europe, organised religion seems to be losing its relevancy and influence with every day that goes by.

I read that in the style of your avatar and it worked!
Since the percentage of christians in America is declining, pastors who measure the value of their congregation by numbers will tend to change the emphasis of what they preach to be more appealing to the general population. Those pastors who measure the value of their congregations by the number of actual christians will continue to preach the gospel as it is. That's all you can really do. You have to present the faith as it really is and those who reject it can go the way they want, which is what many of the younger generation are doing. It's a pastor's job to present the truth of the gospel and let God worry about the numbers.
(August 18, 2014 at 4:28 pm)Lek Wrote: Since the percentage of christians in America is declining, pastors who measure the value of their congregation by numbers will tend to change the emphasis of what they preach to be more appealing to the general population. Those pastors who measure the value of their congregations by the number of actual christians will continue to preach the gospel as it is. That's all you can really do. You have to present the faith as it really is and those who reject it can go the way they want, which is what many of the younger generation are doing. It's a pastor's job to present the truth of the gospel and let God worry about the numbers.

Wish that happen in the middle east. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did anyone else get deconverted by a single sentence? Astonished 67 9088 July 20, 2023 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Climate change crisis and God's wrath Eclectic 4 528 August 26, 2022 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3299 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3270 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  What would change your mind? hyperchord24 117 20297 March 28, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God Edwardo Piet 14 5101 January 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Smile Where else? Little Rik 264 32626 October 22, 2016 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3026 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Does anyone else feel like this? dyresand 21 3963 December 11, 2015 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Joods
  How long did it take for you to deconvert? What made you change your mind? IanHulett 27 7732 August 6, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy