Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disproving The Soul
Disproving The Soul
This short amount of information is intended to disprove the existence of a soul and afterlife.

I will add more later on, as I am busy at the moment.

Anyways, I was reading up on neuroscience, consciousness, and anesthesia and found that anesthesia disproves the existence of a soul and afterlife.

For there to be an afterlife, consciousness cannot be based in a material world. Also known as a "soul".

However, anesthesia eliminates consciousness temporarily. How is it that something material can shut down something supposedly immaterial?

The answer is simple. Consciousness is based materially and an afterlife is not possible.

Have you ever been under anesthesia? What if someone put you under that state for eternity? It's exactly like death: absence of consciousness.
I also feel that further evidence is provided by the memory you have before life: NONE.

Leave a post below and I will hopefully respond.
RE: Disproving The Soul
(August 15, 2014 at 11:45 pm)Severan Wrote: Have you ever been under anesthesia?

Yep, twice, total darkness, missing time occurs (alien abduction comes to mind, lol), one second they are putting you under, next one you are already waking up Thinking
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
Severan, they will argue that while the heart is beating, the soul is still intact.
No-one know where the soul lives, therefore the Xtians will have it living anywhere they bloody feel like!

Trying to corner Xtians with logic is like trying to herd cats.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
[Image: b79bp.jpg]
Christers are 'stuck' with Genesis 2:7 and all the implications.

Mighty nostrils, indeed.
(August 15, 2014 at 11:58 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Severan, they will argue that while the heart is beating, the soul is still intact.
No-one know where the soul lives, therefore the Xtians will have it living anywhere they bloody feel like!

Trying to corner Xtians with logic is like trying to herd cats.

I believe my soul is in the center of my chest cavity.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
It's certainly not between your ears.
(August 16, 2014 at 1:18 am)Minimalist Wrote: It's certainly not between your ears.

Nope. I follow an Ancient Greek view (pagan) which separates the body from the mind, the mind from the soul, and the soul from the strength of a person.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Disprove good character while you're at it.
A few quick thoughts...

Firstly, the OP seems to adopt an Aristotelean model of soul, that a soul is something we have. I would say the biblical meaning is much more that we 'are' souls; that 'soul' describes the essence of our identity.

Secondly, I am a biologist, so I too tend to think along the lines of consciousness (which I would say is distinct from soul, as per my first point) as a product of matter. I'm aware, though, that it's quite possible to look at this from a completely different perspective - that matter, also being a concept, can be thought of as a product of consciousness. It's like the old philosophical question of whether a tree falling out of earshot of anyone makes a noise. Both perspectives are internally valid, and perhaps both tell us different things.

Finally, as I am a medical biologist, I've tended to think about this 'problem' more in the medical setting of Alzheimer's disease: is the patient with Alzheimer's disease somehow less than the person they used to be. What happens to identity, to 'soul' as physical degeneration of the brain leads to a progressive loss of memory and other mental function? On the one hand I can consider the problem from a materialist perspective and describe the loss of brain function. But that is distinct from, but not incompatible with, my Christian view. Paul poetically says that 'in God we have our being'. If this is right (and, of course, I accept atheists don't believe it is) then this opens up another way of thinking. Our identity becomes not dependent on our physical attributes; but exists in God's being and so can be reconstructed, 'resurrected' if you will, by and in God's will. So essentially what eventually matters most is not our consciousness, not our 'mind' (however we conceive that), but God's consciousness and mind. So long as God 'remembers', all will be well.

What this reveals is perhaps the importance of presuppositions. Start with materialistic presuppositions and you will, unsurprisingly, reach a materialistic conclusion. Start with presuppositions that allow for the metaphysical, that allow for God, and you will allow room for other conclusions. Both are internally consistent. Each of us must follow the path that is most persuasive to us.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The problem of the soul zwanzig 142 10310 August 15, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If I lose my soul, do I die? robvalue 37 5177 September 4, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your Soul Count? Graufreud 39 4369 July 23, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Officially sold my "soul" for the second time. Foxaèr 2 1058 January 28, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Theists, What If Your "Soul" Isn't Really Immortal? God of Mr. Hanky 22 5452 February 3, 2016 at 6:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Disproving Abrahamic religions Ronsy21 5 1644 February 1, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The afterlife and the soul Vincent 87 18129 January 11, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  What the hell is a 'soul' anyway? Lucanus 128 27820 September 7, 2015 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Ronkonkoma
  Selling your soul. Chad32 38 9317 August 11, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Disproving gods with history and science dyresand 10 3188 June 30, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb