Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling your soul.
Selling your soul.
There's this idea about selling your soul that goes around. The devil tricks you into signing a contract because he wants your soul. The problem I see with this is that by default he already gets everyone's soul. You have to beg god not to send you to hell, during your lifetime, or you go to hell.

It's not like a contract keeps you from being saved, either. Supposedly Jesus can still save you, even after you make a contract in these stories, unless I'm wrong. So what's the point of these stories about contracts in exchange for something the devil already gets by default?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Selling your soul.
(August 6, 2015 at 6:29 pm)Chad32 Wrote: There's this idea about selling your soul that goes around. The devil tricks you into signing a contract because he wants your soul. The problem I see with this is that by default he already gets everyone's soul. You have to beg god not to send you to hell, during your lifetime, or you go to hell.

Kind of like Doctor Faustus. That moron didn't broker the right deal. But Goethe managed to paint Mephistopheles as an interesting and kind of likeable character. What I always ask myself is, what's in it for the devil. It's certainly not in his best interest to torture people for eternity, which is nonsensical anyway, since there's that bit about the second coming which predicts the ultimate defeat of Satan.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 6, 2015 at 6:29 pm)Chad32 Wrote: There's this idea about selling your soul that goes around. The devil tricks you into signing a contract because he wants your soul. The problem I see with this is that by default he already gets everyone's soul. You have to beg god not to send you to hell, during your lifetime, or you go to hell.

It's not like a contract keeps you from being saved, either. Supposedly Jesus can still save you, even after you make a contract in these stories, unless I'm wrong. So what's the point of these stories about contracts in exchange for something the devil already gets by default?
Entertainment and the suspension of disbelief. When I googled suspension of disbelief I was pleasantly surprised to find that it appears to be an atheist concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It can be a metaphor too.

When I assert Rev. Pat Robertson has sold his soul, I don't mean he literally inked a deal with Satan, I mean he (obviously) worships Mammon.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The world's most famous heavy metal band tries and fails to sell their souls to the devil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZwgLt0QadU
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Dude. Dude. We are like, cartoon siblings
(August 6, 2015 at 6:34 pm)abaris Wrote: Kind of like Doctor Faustus. That moron didn't broker the right deal. But Goethe managed to paint Mephistopheles as an interesting and kind of likeable character.

Reminds me of one of my all-time favorite lyrics. In the Police song Wrapped Around Your Finger Sting writes:

Mephistopheles is not your name
But I know what you're up to just the same

I was 13 when the song was released. No fucking internet made information gathering a bit of a chore so it took a bit of effort to track down the Faust. Not that bad actually. I remember hearing the lyric as Mephistophanes and assumed a Greek origin, not German. We were fortunate to grow up with an encyclopedia at home so I went to look it up and ran into Mephistopheles on the way to Mephistophanes. So sure was I that I distinctly remember looking to make sure there wasn't also a Mephistophanes. Anyway, I then went to the library which led me to Goethe.

This bit of knowledge came in handy when I first encountered the tale in American blues legend through the movie Crossroads. I'm actually very fond of the blues version of the tale including all the actual shenanigans pinned on the legend, including Robert Johnson's demise.

Personally, I would love to find the crossroads. Getting paid for my ultimate demise seems dishonest in a way, but fuck it; integrity is probably superfluous when dealing with the Devil.
(August 6, 2015 at 7:40 pm)Cato Wrote: I was 13 when the song was released. No fucking internet made information gathering a bit of a chore so it took a bit of effort to track down the Faust. Not that bad actually. I remember hearing the lyric as Mephistophanes and assumed a Greek origin, not German. We were fortunate to grow up with an encyclopedia at home so I went to look it up and ran into Mephistopheles on the way to Mephistophanes.

I'm lucky enough to own the complete works of Goethe in a 19th century edition. Came upon me from one of my ancestors, I don't know which. Faust is a work of beauty in German. It's rhymed in it's original and when I first read it, the internet wasn't around for more than a decade or so.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I made a deal with the devil for my soul, but I guess since I did not get what I wanted he does not exist.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
What does he do with these souls anyway? Make moonshine?

I'll show myself to the door

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The problem of the soul zwanzig 142 10322 August 15, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If I lose my soul, do I die? robvalue 37 5186 September 4, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your Soul Count? Graufreud 39 4375 July 23, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Officially sold my "soul" for the second time. Foxaèr 2 1060 January 28, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Theists, What If Your "Soul" Isn't Really Immortal? God of Mr. Hanky 22 5471 February 3, 2016 at 6:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The afterlife and the soul Vincent 87 18133 January 11, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  What the hell is a 'soul' anyway? Lucanus 128 27850 September 7, 2015 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Ronkonkoma
  Disproving The Soul Severan 58 13955 August 31, 2015 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Charlatan selling Autism Cures Exposed Fidel_Castronaut 11 2926 June 21, 2015 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  I sold my "soul" Foxaèr 18 3068 April 22, 2015 at 8:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13