Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian singer Vicky Beeching: 'I knew I was gay when I was 13'
Christian singer Vicky Beeching: 'I knew I was gay when I was 13'
Here's a very touching video:

"A huge star on the American evangelical Christian scene, Vicky Beeching found the stress of being gay in a very conservative community almost intolerable and became seriously ill. Having come out, she wants to spread the message that you don't have to choose between your faith and your sexuality. Here she tells how she reached breaking point."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree...vangelical
RE: Christian singer Vicky Beeching: 'I knew I was gay when I was 13'
She's very articulate. I'm glad that there are voices such as hers speaking out, and being heard, in today's Church.
What a bunch of cherry-pickers. The bible clearly condemns homosexuality.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
She is indeed still a Christian because she still holds the supremely Christian position of "I will embrace any set of cherry picked lies sufficiently tailored to make me feel special". If part of bible so happen to not be amongst her basket of cherries, it would make her no different from vast majority of other "bible believing" Christians.[/size]
Whether people see it as cherry-picking or not is going to depend a lot on how you read the bible. I read the bible as an unfolding understanding of God; hence later biblical voices can criticise actions earlier that were celebrated. For example the killing of the house of Ahab at Jazreel is celebrated in the books of Kings, but is seen as a reason for disgrace and revenge by the prophet Hosea. It is perhaps more an English than American tradition to see the bible as 'the books God wants us to hear' (as Rowan Williams puts it). We can then engage with them and even disagree with actions of people who were convinced that they were doing God's will. Like Hosea, we may see what was previously celebrated as actually being deeply misguided (or perhaps sometimes only appropriate for their time).
(August 19, 2014 at 11:19 am)Michael Wrote: Whether people see it as cherry-picking or not is going to depend a lot on how you read the bible. For example I read the bible as an unfolding understanding of God; hence later biblical voices can criticise actions earlier that were celebrated. For example the killing of the house of Ahab at Jazreel is celebrated in the books of Kings, but is seen as a reason for disgrace and revenge by the prophet Hosea. It is perhaps more an English than American tradition to see the bible as 'the books God wants us to hear' (as Rowan Williams puts it). We can then engage with them and even disagree with actions of people who were convinced that they were doing God's will. Like Hosea, we may see what was previously celebrated as actually being deeply misguided (or perhaps sometimes only appropriate for their time).

Replace "your reading of the bible" with "the cherries, real or imaginary, that you've picked", And "unfolding understanding of god" with "making it up as you go to suit yourself", or with "grabbing whatever imaginary crutches along the way that will prop up and expand your own particular self delusion", And you would have been more intellectually honest, and equivalently less Christian.
(August 19, 2014 at 11:19 am)Michael Wrote: Whether people see it as cherry-picking or not is going to depend a lot on how you read the bible. I read the bible as an unfolding understanding of God; hence later biblical voices can criticise actions earlier that were celebrated. For example the killing of the house of Ahab at Jazreel is celebrated in the books of Kings, but is seen as a reason for disgrace and revenge by the prophet Hosea. It is perhaps more an English than American tradition to see the bible as 'the books God wants us to hear' (as Rowan Williams puts it). We can then engage with them and even disagree with actions of people who were convinced that they were doing God's will. Like Hosea, we may see what was previously celebrated as actually being deeply misguided (or perhaps sometimes only appropriate for their time).

'And if a man lie with mankind, as with womankind, both of them have committed abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.'
Leviticus 20:13
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Sometimes I think about the intellectual difficulty of being a liberal Christian and how it must tear at your brain. The so called modern 'Conservative Christians' are no better really. They have a very non-literal interpretation of the bible. You ever read about the rapture in the bible? No, me either, because it's not in there. Neither is any endorsement of capitalism whatsoever.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Removed.
Quote:Having come out, she wants to spread the message that you don't have to choose between your faith and your sexuality.
I think that depends on her surroundings and circumstances. If her family and community are strict fundamentalists, she would likely face considerable pressure to choose between her faith and her sexuality.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Allah was just Muhammad's sock puppet! I knew it! ignoramus 0 1318 May 2, 2019 at 5:48 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Christian group showed up at the Chigaco Gay Pride... Tiberius 46 18148 February 3, 2012 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko