Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, spiritual and/or religious?
Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, spiritual and/or religious?
I wonder how many of us, atheist or not, have experienced subjective states outside what is ordinary for us which might be described as spiritual, sacred or mystical? Such experiences, when defined within a religious tradition, are what William James defined as "religious experiences". But the experiences themselves can be and have been described in a variety of ways, not all of them religious and in some cases not constrained within any existing system. I'm interested in how common such experiences are regardless of how people explain them.

[hide]Wiki: A religious experience (sometimes known as a spiritual experience, sacred experience, or mystical experience) is a subjective experience which is interpreted within a religious framework.[1] The concept originated in the 19th century, as a defense against the growing rationalism of western society.[2] William James popularised the concept.[2]

Many religious and mystical traditions see religious experiences (particularly that knowledge that comes with them) as revelations caused by divine agency rather than ordinary natural processes. They are considered real encounters with God or gods, or real contact with higher-order realities of which humans are not ordinarily aware.[3]

Skeptics or scientists may hold that religious experience is an evolved feature of the human brain amenable to normal scientific study.[note 1] The commonalities and differences between religious experiences across different cultures have enabled scholars to categorize them for academic study.[/quote][hide]

But the experiences themselves can be and have been described in a variety of ways, not all of them religious and in some cases not constrained within any existing system. I'm interested in how common such experiences are regardless of how people explain them. I don't really care whether they are what might be called altered states induced by spinning, sleep deprivation, physical exertion, drugs or in some other way. If you think you have and are willing to 'fess up, I'd be interested in your responses to this poll in which I'd like to look for commonalities.

Please choose just one of the first three, and then, if you chose 2 or 3 (maybe or yes), also choose all you think apply to what you experienced.

1. No, I don't believe I have or am quite certain I have not.

2. Maybe, but it was too indistinct to be sure and/or is too poorly remembered to describe in any detail.

3. Yes, I believe so or am quite certain that I have.

4. What I experienced could be described as a merging with something greater than or less narrow than my ordinary self.

5. What I experienced could be described as a kind of disembodied or general awareness in which I was more a spectator than an actor.

6. What I experienced could be described as improved perception and insight and a correspondingly increased sense of power or confidence.

7. My experience was confusing, frightening or unpleasant.

8. My experience was largely uplifting, energizing or euphoric.

9. The experience I had made sense to me while it was happening within a frame of reference I already had. (Which one?)

10. The experience I had has not been one of which I've been able to make a great deal of sense.

11. The experience I had was one I've come to recognize as fitting a frame of reference I did not possess at that time. (Which one?)

12. The experience has made an enduring change which is quite clear to me. (Regrets or glad?)

13. The experience has probably changed me but it is hard to say exactly how. (Regrets or glad?)

14. The experience was transitory and I now feel back to normal or largely the same. (Regrets or glad?)

15. As a result of this experience, I now feel more connected to other people and/or something greater.

16. As a result of this experience, I now feel different and somewhat more estranged from other people than I used to.

17. What I experienced was a one time thing.

18. What I experienced was spread out over multiple events.

19. Whatever it was, it was something I'd like to experience again.

20. Whatever it was, it was something I wouldn't expect to experience again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11424 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Jesus had no parents Ferrocyanide 21 2072 October 7, 2021 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 533 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  So Noah had crab lice Fake Messiah 0 529 July 18, 2021 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  An Atheist Tries on Sacred Mormon Underwear AFTT47 7 1178 May 27, 2019 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Awkward School Religious Experiences? Jade-Green Stone 14 1346 December 8, 2018 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 2852 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16338 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Had an interesting encounter with a so called Christian on social media today GODZILLA 16 2458 May 24, 2018 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Astreja
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 3708 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer