Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a question about religious parents
I have a question about religious parents
Some religious parents have atheist kids. I was wondering if some of those parents feel that they themselves will be rejected by their religious friends or family members for having an atheist kid. Like they could be criticised for not raising their kid right.
I'm sure not all religious parents are like that.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: I have a question about religious parents
If they're decent friends and family members, I'd imagine they'd just blame Satan. Smile
"Religious" is getting to be pretty much a meaningless term these days. Seems most all the Christians have renounced Bible/Jesus and are now 'winging it' as best they can depending on personal convenience and political expediency.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Mine simply disowned me.  Her church friends probably do not know that she had a daughter.  Problem solved.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(January 24, 2018 at 3:24 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Mine simply disowned me.  Her church friends probably do not know that she had a daughter.  Problem solved.

Heart
I’m sorry, drfuzzy.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(January 24, 2018 at 12:05 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: Some religious parents have atheist kids. I was wondering if some of those parents feel that they themselves will be rejected by their religious friends or family members for having an atheist kid. Like they could be criticised for not raising their kid right.

Die Atheistin, this fixation you have is now bordering on fanaticism and you risk being accused of becoming an intolerable bore, or worse. Get your hands on an E-Reader and buy, or steal, some books. Get a life!
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
I'm sure there are some that do. Is it the norm? Not from what I've seen.

And yeah, this obsession/cry for attention is getting old.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
While I agree with the posts about obsession . . . I also can - sort of - understand.  DA is young, is repulsed by required religious attendance and posturing, and wants the freedom to rebel.  But rebellion could have dire consequences.  So it's a theme.

My suggestion is to outwardly obey, be a dutiful child, study hard, and go somewhere away from home for college. Do a lot of reading.  Don't buck the system until you are self-supporting.  

Jack - thanks for the  Heart.  It was a long time ago though.  I only bring it up when it serves as a cautionary tale or insight into fundamentalist behavior.    Sleepy
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(January 24, 2018 at 12:05 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: Some religious parents have atheist kids. I was wondering if some of those parents feel that they themselves will be rejected by their religious friends or family members for having an atheist kid. Like they could be criticised for not raising their kid right.

Reactions very from individual family to family. I got lucky with my Catholic mom. She sent me to Church growing up thinking it would be good for me. But when I got into my mid to late teens, I lost interest and she never pushed it. I was not an atheist at the time I stopped going to church. I still believed till my mid to late 20s, but was more of a generic deist at that point. She did think my laxness was a phase at that time, but she never got shit from her friends about it. 

Her complaints about me is that I was messy and couldn't save a dime to save my life and we made lousy roommates as much as we loved each other. 

My younger biological sister caught alot of shit from our biological family as AN ADULT when she and her husband left their religion. I was adopted and so was she when we were kids. We met in the mid 90s and at that time she was still in her religion. But about 6 or 7 years ago I got a call out of the blue from our older biological sister that my younger sister wanted to talk to me. Back when I first met my younger sister it seemed we had nothing in common so we fell out of touch until that call. My younger sister told me over the phone that evening that she and her husband had given up on religion and God belief. But she spent a deal of time that call telling me about all the shit she was getting on line from our biological family. That has subsided quite a bit since. I know they still don't like it, but they no longer speak in terms of fire and brimstone to either of us, even though I am sure they might think it.

It is far worse in any conservative part of the world, of any religion. Most humans get sold the social norms of their parents at birth so when that child grows up to buck what they were sold even if the parent doesn't beat the fuck out of them or murder them, or kick them out of the house, they do feel they can feel they failed as a parent.

If you still want a relationship with your parents, DON'T worry so much what they do or think in the short term. Once you are out on your own paying your own bills, you can still SHOW them by your actions that you love them, by showing them you are keeping your nose clean. Over time, they may never accept the fact you left the religion they were sold. BUT if you keep your nose clean and live well, they wont see it as doomsday or a failure on their part.

It does get better, especially when you are on your own, and don't make it a war.
(January 24, 2018 at 3:24 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Mine simply disowned me.  Her church friends probably do not know that she had a daughter.  Problem solved.

I'm sorry too. Sad
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 1901 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1197 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  My Mormon parents NuclearEnergy 11 2276 October 9, 2021 at 7:26 pm
  Jesus had no parents Ferrocyanide 21 2060 October 7, 2021 at 8:42 pm
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1134 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A religious delimma. (God Parents) ignoramus 2 673 June 29, 2018 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Telling my parents kikiwallflower 24 3098 August 7, 2016 at 2:49 am
Last Post: KJV-reader
  A Question On Manipulation for the Religious LivingNumbers6.626 24 4220 July 22, 2016 at 10:15 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4873 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Being perceived as stubborn by my parents. Mystic 13 2813 December 27, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand