Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth versus space
Earth versus space
Psychology uses the phrase: paradox of progress is used to illustrate how advancements in technology aren't making life better; Conversely, I want to know what's out there.

Are resources for space exploration/developments being misplaced? Do these space projects have an adverse effect on our lives through neglecting 'earth based' issues such as poverty?

debates going on here: sociology of the universe.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: Earth versus space
(January 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: Psychology uses the phrase: paradox of progress is used to illustrate how advancements in technology aren't making life better; Conversely, I want to know what's out there.

Are resources for space exploration/developments being misplaced? Do these space projects have an adverse effect on our lives through neglecting 'earth based' issues such as poverty?

Lmao how stupid, technology and scientific inquiry has improved our lives immensely, it's lowering poverty rates, raising life expectancy, giving us good shelter and food in more abundance than ever before. Sure some money is spent on areas that are seemingly not benefiting us at the moment, but that is only for now, the space program may one day be an essential last resort for our species.

If you disagree go live in a mud hut away from technology and see how much your life 'improves'
(January 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: Psychology uses the phrase: paradox of progress is used to illustrate how advancements in technology aren't making life better; Conversely, I want to know what's out there.

I am thinking that the human species is a bit slow on the development front since afaik most of the poverty, sickness, polution, and other "ailments of the planet" are man made from not adapting to newer technology 'because it is expensive, and we are greedy for profit and prestige' Funnily enough most of the 'advances' in technology have their basis in war and not exploration which I think is a basic human trait.

(January 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: Are resources for space exploration/developments being misplaced? Do these space projects have an adverse effect on our lives through neglecting 'earth based' issues such as poverty?

A better question would be "Are the vast amounts of government $$$ spent on 'Defense Systems and Organisations' really worth it? As War has a more personable effect on ones life than anything cosmology can come up with (*except of course the random species depleting comet or two)
my2c
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: Are resources for space exploration/developments being misplaced? Do these space projects have an adverse effect on our lives through neglecting 'earth based' issues such as poverty?

Yes?

Compared to say, the money wasted on military expenditure?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Are the technological advancements trully improvements?
The sorts of improvements include making tasks more efficient thereby freeing up time. While technology does this, it is argued that people feel more time pressure from the same advancements, now that productivity has its own constraints and the pace is much higher that is.
Also, this progress is meant to give people more choices, and freedom, but wasting time looking for optimum choice from among the mundane. Is time consuming, and study's have shown that an abundance of choice contributes to depression and possibly other neurotic disorders.
So the paradox of progress asks whether a distinguishable improvement to the quality of life has been achieved, in light of what technology is thought to achieve.
*waits for Pippy to come along with his inevitable opinion on progress*
(January 19, 2010 at 7:42 am)Tiberius Wrote: *waits for Pippy to come along with his inevitable opinion on progress*

I have some microwave Popcorn!! Do you think I may need it??Tiger
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 19, 2010 at 1:35 am)theVOID Wrote: Lmao how stupid, technology and scientific inquiry has improved our lives immensely, it's lowering poverty rates, raising life expectancy, giving us good shelter and food in more abundance than ever before. Sure some money is spent on areas that are seemingly not benefiting us at the moment, but that is only for now, the space program may one day be an essential last resort for our species.

If you disagree go live in a mud hut away from technology and see how much your life 'improves'

Humanity has seen a stable population of about a billion for millions of years... and now suddenly we have an expanding population of 7 billion and a situation where we may need the space program to flee the junk yard we've created with technological progress.
Yeah, and we can all go and live with the reptilian rulers in peace and harmony.
Earth = lose

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Goodbye, Earth! Jehanne 5 534 June 30, 2022 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Running versus walking? Jehanne 9 389 February 21, 2022 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: brewer
  photos that prove Afghanistan is one the most beautiful places on earth. WinterHold 71 9773 September 6, 2021 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Happy Earth Day? Foxaèr 3 499 April 29, 2019 at 1:24 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  PayPal versus the deceased robvalue 0 173 April 7, 2019 at 7:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Space purplepurpose 9 546 September 24, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Space Slug / Greatest movie one criteria hostile merger! ignoramus 8 1323 September 14, 2017 at 7:46 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Time for a song thread, how about Space brewer 31 4431 August 11, 2017 at 9:15 am
Last Post: KevinM1
Video My new video: abstract systems versus reality robvalue 2 555 January 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Three meat versus four meat pizzas Czechlervitz30 29 2738 July 12, 2016 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: c172