Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The conservative brain...
The conservative brain...
...is a curious thing to me sometimes.

I was a conservative once but I was a lot more logically consistent in my positions. That's probably why that center didn't hold and I'm a liberal today.

Does anyone remember when I made my proposal as the way to save our democracy, to have our leaders care more about voters than lobbyists, to have substantive discussions replace 30-second soundbytes, to have everyone's voice count and not just those rich enough to buy the airwaves, to remove much of the money and corruption that has become expected practice in our current government?

I proposed a constitutional amendment banning paid political advertisement, replacing campaign ads with bi-weekly debates between candidates conducted under oath.

Needless to say, conservatives on this forum didn't like that proposal. It was "censorship" and a suspension of "free speech".

These same conservatives now say, "you know, free speech has limits" justifying the police actions against protesters in Ferguson.

So, when rich people buy elections, that's "free speech" which can't be restricted.

But when poor people demonstrate in public areas, that's when "free speech has limits".
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: The conservative brain...
Silly DP, expecting neo-cons to check their hypocrisy.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
The thread title is an oxymoron....
I agree with your ideas.

I also think the debate format needs to be overhauled. I would prefer a Parliamentary style debate that allows interruption for points of interest addressed to the moderator. Without official scoring, the moderator could simply announce which points of interest weren't addressed. The deference given to the participants by most moderators is vomit inducing. Time limits are frequently ignored and there is no interjection when participants stray off topic to ensure they cover all their talking points.

The internet makes possible measures to make debates more meaningful and productive. Let the moderator post the debate questions a month in advance. The candidates have two weeks to respond to the moderator. The candidates' policy positions would then be simultaneously published two weeks prior to the debate. The subsequent internet chatter and media conversation would then have an impact on the debate content. I think this would reduce the tendency for these debates to become sound bite generators with everybody talking past one another. I remember one Obama/McCain debate with each vaguely promising to cut spending; one with a hatchet, the other with a scalpel. This type of cheap rhetoric needs to be done away with.
Quote:So, when rich people buy elections, that's "free speech" which can't be restricted.

But when poor people demonstrate in public areas, that's when "free speech has limits".

Republicunt motherfuckers.....Putting the "Con" in "conservative" since 1981.
(August 21, 2014 at 10:33 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: So, when rich people buy elections, that's "free speech" which can't be restricted.

Judging by how long they let the Occupy Wallstreet go on, that's probably not the case. They don't like when demonstrations turn into anarchy.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Poor, polecat....in his world those Occupy protesters should have been gunned down.

Too bad the cops went as far as they did. It is costing NY a lot of money because the cops didn't want the Wall St. scumbags to feel bad about themselves.

As if they ever would.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/nyregi...sters.html

Quote:The City of New York has agreed to pay nearly $600,000 to resolve a lawsuit accusing police officers of falsely arresting Occupy Wall Street participants who were walking on a sidewalk in the East Village on New Year’s Day 2012

Quote:Last year, the city agreed to pay $230,000 to resolve a suit stemming from the loss or destruction of books from the Occupy Wall Street library. A group called Global Revolution was also paid $75,000 for lost computer equipment. Other lawsuits are pending, including a class-action claim stemming from the arrests of about 700 people while they marched on the Brooklyn Bridge roadway on Oct. 1, 2011.
Sign this petition. If you'd like to amend the constitution to separate money from politics http://www.wolf-pac.com/

It already passed here in California and in Vermont. So it's very real.
god is supposed to be imaginary
Contrary to popular belief someone can have conservative values and hate the Republican party. They can also be an Atheist.
(August 22, 2014 at 10:35 pm)stonedape Wrote: Sign this petition. If you'd like to amend the constitution to separate money from politics http://www.wolf-pac.com/

It already passed here in California and in Vermont. So it's very real.

If I recall correctly, the unions won against that in California. They can still influence politics.

(August 23, 2014 at 12:05 am)KUSA Wrote: Contrary to popular belief someone can have conservative values and hate the Republican party. They can also be an Atheist.

Yes. I had a grandfather who did not like the Republicans (he would call the GOP an abomination, but also state that the Democrats were no better), but I would never have called him anything close to a liberal and he was an atheist.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Is conservative Republicanism dead? Jehanne 16 1093 September 3, 2022 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The new conservative boogeyman, Drag Queens. Jehanne 26 2411 June 9, 2022 at 3:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1514 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Conservative Asskisser Wants Obama Back Minimalist 8 2011 July 20, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Article in the NYT looking at liberal vs conservative polarization Whateverist 16 1576 March 12, 2018 at 2:52 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Conservative and Gay John V 42 5178 January 27, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Cue the "War on Christmas" outrage from the conservative right Doubting Thomas 11 2673 March 31, 2017 at 9:33 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What Do You Call a Fiscal Progressive and a Social Conservative? InquiringMind 44 8627 February 16, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Liberal, Conservative, or Libertarian? Athena777 55 4521 December 12, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Argument against the death penalty by a r-wing conservative Catholic_Lady 0 686 December 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady