Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Is conservative Republicanism dead?
Is conservative Republicanism dead?
The huge defeat in Kansas and Sarah Palin losing in Alaska; is it over for them? Will the liberal battle cry be, "Remember Roe!"?
RE: Is conservative Republicanism dead?
Is SYFY done making silly movies like Sharknado?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 3, 2022 at 7:51 am)Tomato Wrote: Is SYFY done making silly movies like Sharknado?

Probably not, but, I am talking about winning elections, where 51% of the vote gives 100% of the power.
Palin was an interesting case. A sort of transitional form between neoconservatism and magatism.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
As with George McGovern, it is, of course, not enough to win the nomination. Will the Evangelicals decide to stay home this November, knowing that Roe is destined to be codified into federal law?
Palin does seem to be a natural-born loser.

But conservative Republicanism is probably long dead, hence gerrymandering.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I'm hoping for a day (and soon) where even gerrymandering doesn't get the conservative contingent offices. Falling into bed with evangelicals and fascists was certainly a mistake.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Given the changing demographics and culture in the country, the Republican base was shrinking. In order to remain relevant, they could do one of two things. They could expand their base by becoming more moderate, or they could increase the participation level of their constituents by appealing to the more extreme elements in their base and reducing compromise and bipartisan concessions. They chose the latter. I think that's a dead-end strategy, but one way or another, Republicanism as we knew it was doomed to extinction. It's just a question of whether they can use authoritarian policies to keep them relevant and sufficiently powerful to sustain the party. I think it's just a matter of time, but the drama has many years before it finally plays out. The current shift rightward has been going on for over 30 years and things are still not much different from 30 years ago. It will take a long time unless they suffer catastrophic reversals. Failing to recapture the senate in 2022 and the president in 2024 could go a long way along the path to irrelevancy. The key battlegrounds, however, are in the states, not the federal government. Republicans are much better off at the state level than nationally.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
With SCOTUS on their side, it will probably take several more decades before all the current bloc of conservative judges are dead and are replaced by liberals or moderates. Until then, America will be more or less two separate countries.
IMHO it kinda all depends on who has children.
<insert profound quote here>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The new conservative boogeyman, Drag Queens. Jehanne 26 2353 June 9, 2022 at 3:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1433 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Conservative Asskisser Wants Obama Back Minimalist 8 1950 July 20, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Article in the NYT looking at liberal vs conservative polarization Whateverist 16 1497 March 12, 2018 at 2:52 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Conservative and Gay John V 42 4808 January 27, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Cue the "War on Christmas" outrage from the conservative right Doubting Thomas 11 2648 March 31, 2017 at 9:33 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What Do You Call a Fiscal Progressive and a Social Conservative? InquiringMind 44 8350 February 16, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Liberal, Conservative, or Libertarian? Athena777 55 4345 December 12, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Argument against the death penalty by a r-wing conservative Catholic_Lady 0 675 December 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Are Republicans Conservative? Lemonvariable72 12 2679 July 18, 2015 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist