Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's outside?
What's outside?
And by outside, I mean outside of The Universe!

I kinda manage to cling on to relativity, and by fingernails to quantam mechanics, but the notion that the big bang expanded space and time into ... something just closes my brain down.

And the universe is expanding in accelerated form, but is there an edge !?

Perhaps I should just go back to the "What are you drinking" thread !
RE: What's outside?
It's tough. Try quantum entanglement. Not even Einstein understood that. Mind you, no one does.
Conceptually it's impossible to picture. The problem with knowing stuff about the "edge" of the universe (if there is a defined edge) is that it is too big for us to see it.

There is a theory that says the universe is a hologram projected from the boundary of the universe. That's even weirder.

Watch this; it's very interesting and written by no less than Stephen Hawking;

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Pondering questions such as this make me feel incredibly insignificant.
"Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing else."
— Victoria Woodhull, “And the truth shall make you free,” a speech on the principles of social freedom, 1871
It shouldn't. Not even the people who think they understand it really understand it, Except the god-botherers, of course.
Right now, there's a hummingbird outside my window. That's as far as I need to go to see the content of the universe. My feeble mind is no match for any consideration beyond such.
(September 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm)Keri Wrote: Pondering questions such as this make me feel incredibly insignificant.

That reminds me of this, the Total Perspective Vortex from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Sometimes I wonder what exactly our universe is expanding into, though I don't think about it often. I have enough trouble with my own personal life without wondering too much about things like that.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's not expanding into anything. The universe is the the universe, and there's nothing outside it.
"It's not expanding into anything".... that's the question surely... it's not expanding into anything we're familiar with.....

But there must be "something", even a "nothingness"?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oldest Human Fossil Outside of Africa! chimp3 23 3570 January 26, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  This Leaves Adam And Eve on The Outside Looking In Minimalist 29 4157 June 3, 2017 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe." IanHulett 18 6951 February 22, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon