Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Islamic State really have nothing to do with religion? Fathima Nazeer
Does Islamic State really have nothing to do with religion? Fathima Nazeer
I don't know anything about this woman, but she's talking sense ...
Quote:Fathima Imra Nazeer
Writer, scientist, mom

Does Islamic State's Brutality Really Have Nothing to Do With Religion?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fathima-im...37388.html

In his remarks on the brutal execution of James Foley in Iraq, President Obama claimed "no faith teaches people to massacre innocents. No just God would stand for what they did yesterday and what they do every single day." It's a common refrain, the usual condemnation of a brutal act by Islamists inspired by religious ideology, by their own admission, and the flat out refusal by well meaning liberals to even consider that such brutality could be inspired by religion.

How about we consider what these Islamists are trying to tell us repeatedly; that a certain plausible interpretation of Islam might be at the root of all this brutality.

Here is a sampling of the Quranic passages that Islamists fluently quote: ......

So, the Quran does tell its followers to kill those who don't believe in Islam, in certain contexts. Those contexts of course are debatable.

Now I can almost hear the indignation from well-meaning liberals "but the Bible has violent and hateful passages too.."

However, unlike Christians with the Bible, the vast majority of Muslims believe the Quran to be of divine origin and believe in its literal interpretation. To a Muslim, the Quran is God's literal words to mankind, passed on through the angel Gabriel to prophet Muhammed.

This makes the violent and hateful verses a very real problem.

To be fair the Quran has its share of peaceful verses too.

The issue here is that the Quran contradicts itself and in general the chronologically earlier verses tend to be more peaceful while the latter verses tend to be more violent. Now anyone with a decent understanding of the Quran knows the law of abrogation, which basically means that when there is a contradiction, the latter verse takes precedence....

The argument that ISIS's brutality has nothing to do with religion simply does not hold....

We do have a real problem with a very plausible interpretation of the Quran that ISIS cleverly uses to its advantage. It's time we take our blinders off and started openly talking about the connection between ISIS's brutality and Quranic literalism. It has become far too dangerous to be polite and leave religion out of the discussion.
Couldn't agree more. Great article.
RE: Does Islamic State really have nothing to do with religion? Fathima Nazeer
Quote:Now I can almost hear the indignation from well-meaning liberals "but the Bible has violent and hateful passages too.."
Sure does, and while we're not being polite and leaving it out of the discussion - christianity is no more or less shitty than islam. A pretty hefty number of christians think that the bible is of divine origin and to be interpreted literally as well. Aside from the standard excuses for christian shit I think it's definitely something that ought to get more attention - something that shouldn't be taboo to address.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Just og back a few centuries to find out what a bunch of miserable pricks xtians were when they had the chance.

Its why we can never allow them to regain political power.
(September 16, 2014 at 2:31 am)Rhythm Wrote: Sure does, and while we're not being polite and leaving it out of the discussion - christianity is no more or less shitty than islam. A pretty hefty number of christians think that the bible is of divine origin and to be interpreted literally as well.
The core concept of both religions is the imitation of their archetypes Jesus and Mohammed. A quick study of their biographies is enough to show that these archetypes are radically different characters. Jesus was a hippy, Mohammed was a head chopper on mass. The argument about literalism is really a minor point. It's the behaviour of the archetypes that matters. Actions speak louder than words. Hence, Christianity is in fact a good deal "less shitty" than Islam. I wouldn't want to live under a theocracy of either brand, but Jesus is a far more peaceful role model than Mohammed. This is plainly obvious.
I think that both christianity and islam have met the action requirement for shittiness. Can't say that islam has the lead...but they have some time left yet, you never know.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I am truly concerned with this Islamic State thing.
These people are monsters who think they have some god covering their backs and who encourages them to keep doing these monstrous acts.
Today, I saw the news that the first airstrike against an IS target has been successful near Baghdad. It seems the US military are also thinking that these people only deserve death from above... how poetic.
But it will change little.
In time, stupid muslims will rise again.... and again, bearing AK-47's kindly sold by... [fill in the blank]...
In time, the religion will incite new uprisings and killings of those who do not believe in the same thing.
The world needs to step up and rid itself of all religion, showing that these people are the deluded idiots that we here already know they are.
But, while the world appeases the moderates, and keeps other deluded idiots in their deluded state, it will never deal with the real problem.
Sure, it may bring forth other problems... but they should be far easier to keep under check.
I think Bill Maher got it 100% right on Charlie Rose's show last week:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2...wrong.html (video)

He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(September 16, 2014 at 2:41 am)mralstoner Wrote: Hence, Christianity is in fact a good deal "less shitty" than Islam. I wouldn't want to live under a theocracy of either brand, but Jesus is a far more peaceful role model than Mohammed. This is plainly obvious.
The only "reason" Christianity is less shitty, now, is because the governments they run under don't allow them to be shitty.
Turn Europe, the US, Canada, Australia, etc.. into Middle-Eastern styled governments, Christianity would be running wild. You likely would not see much difference with Islam at that point.
IS cares less for theology than Al-Qaeda, despite being religious fanatics. Most Muslims are appalled by them. But they do use their religion as a tool to further their oppressive political goals. Islam needs to be muzzled the same way Christianity was.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
-and for precisely the same reasons..lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islamic serial killer, murderer Anti.Enslave 8 130 April 23, 2024 at 7:55 am
Last Post: Anti.Enslave
  How do Islamic theologians study the Bible in countries where Hebrew is illegal? FlatAssembler 10 1010 August 12, 2023 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Quranic reflection]: Homosexuality is nothing but Sexual Gratification. WinterHold 58 4284 March 27, 2023 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Rainbow Invite the people of the world to attack the Islamic religion Eclectic 9 1268 December 14, 2022 at 11:40 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why "Jihad" martyrdom is important in Islamic faith? AniKoferBo 13 1430 January 6, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Islamic prophet's foreknowledge of the Terfeziaceae's health benefits R00tKiT 29 2709 July 4, 2021 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  When was Sunni Islamic hadiths first translated to English Sweden83 1 581 December 4, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sudan ends 30 years of Islamic Law Foxaèr 34 6010 September 9, 2020 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Sal
  [Quranic Reflection]: Women have the right to state their own rights in the marriage WinterHold 34 4685 June 30, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7844 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23