Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:50 am

Poll: Atheists: What should be done about the theists?
This poll is closed.
Hold hands and sing Kumbaya. Look for the overlap and seek tolerance.
16.22%
6 16.22%
Take every opportunity to interact with theists in a way which might lead to their leaving their medieval mindset behind.
35.14%
13 35.14%
Not a damn thing. It is none of my business. Treat people as peers even when you don't agree with them.
32.43%
12 32.43%
Theists are wrong and annoying. They seem immune to reason so insults and coercion are your best bet.
2.70%
1 2.70%
Interventions on a massive scale to free those still in a religious cult. Sedation for those who are too far gone.
5.41%
2 5.41%
Turn them into Soylent Green. It is time for a final solution. Round them up and put them out of their (or at least our) misery.
5.41%
2 5.41%
Something else all together. Please explain.
2.70%
1 2.70%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What shall we do about theists?
What shall we do about theists?
Whether you are a soft atheist, anti-theist or prefer to call yourself an agnostic there has got to be something about theism that you reject, at least for yourself. So I'm curious about your/our stance toward theism. Now that we've removed Theos from our worlds, what is to be done about the many theists still running about?

Oh yeah, this has got to be poll for atheists. Theist are more than welcome to share how they'd like to deal with us in the comment section.

The choices:

Hold hands and sing Kumbaya. Look for the overlap and seek tolerance.

Take every opportunity to interact with theists in a way which might lead to their leaving their medieval mindset behind.

Not a damn thing. It is none of my business. Treat people as peers even when you don't agree with them.

Theists are wrong and annoying. They seem immune to reason so insults and coercion are your best bet.

Interventions on a massive scale to free those still in a religious cult. Sedation for those who are too far gone.

Turn them into Soylent Green. It is time for a final solution. Round them up and put them out of their (or at least our) misery.
RE: What shall we do about theists?
BURN 'EM AT THE STAKE AND EAT THEIR CHILDREN!

That's what many of them think we'd do.

(September 30, 2014 at 12:38 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Religion is kinda like penises -- I don't care about yours until you try to stick it in my face.

I endorse this statement.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
It depends on which religion and sect
I can tolerate liberal Jews but not Wahhabis
Fundamentalists, or anyone that thinks that they should impose their will onto anyone else should be locked up as a matter of public protection.
The ones like Davidians (they're extinct) should be the priority
Answer #5 isn't a terrible idea if it is applied more broadly; intervention, logic classes, tools to cope with life and death, tools for reason, tools for skeptical thinking etc. This idea could be extrapolated with a softer approach. So, instead of rounding them up to deprogram them, a non-forceful approach is applied. Like making reason and logic a lucrative life decision for people instead of dogma and faith.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
I'd do a bit of 1, 2 & 3:

a. promote tolerance, understanding and social cohesion & inclusivity (minimise marginalisation)
b. promote human rights, critical thinking, the application of the scientific method
c. oppose violation of a & b.
Sum ergo sum
I am sure that most of us have family that are religious. This makes things complicated because I have to have a certain amount of tolerance to keep the peace.

Another issue is that I know people that were depressed before they became devout in their religion. Stripping them of this would cause harm. It's like giving a red pill to someone too old (matrix reference).

However, if someone is persistent on pushing religion on me then I bust the balls of Jesus right in front of them.
A little bit of one, two and three depending on the situation and how well I know the theist.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Ask them tough questions like "why do YOU know better than Jesus about _______" when they are ignoring or cherry picking scriptures.

Advocate for Literalism

Provoke 'trouble' between various religions

Encourage schismatics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What shall we do with the gods? ComradeMeow 1 973 August 21, 2014 at 3:49 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Thou Shall Not Commit Logical Fallacies Fidel_Castronaut 4 2171 November 28, 2013 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda