Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British accents
British accents
I thought I would put this out there for the real English folk on this forum. How many English (country) accents are there. From the the people I have come across working customer service and playing MMOs there seems to be three. The traditional London type accent, the new castle type accent which is lighter but spoken fast, and the Oxford style, which is the brand Dawkins and hit hens and many academics seem to portray. What do the actual British people here think?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: British accents
(October 1, 2014 at 1:28 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I thought I would put this out there for the real English folk on this forum. How many English (country) accents are there. From the the people I have come across working customer service and playing MMOs there seems to be three. The traditional London type accent, the new castle type accent which is lighter but spoken fast, and the Oxford style, which is the brand Dawkins and hit hens and many academics seem to portray. What do the actual British people here think?

There's not very many British people in Britain as far as I am aware, whenever I go to London to meet my sister we play spot the white guy.

And the accents aren't much better, we often joke that if you were drowning in a canal and screaming for help you would be lucky if anyone spoke enough English to understand.

Britons are where the cultural borders of the Celts overlapped with the Romans, so Welsh people are British also. Scottish too.

I can't stop thinking about that Monty Python sketch now, where King Arthur travels around telling everyone he's 'King of the Britons'.
(October 1, 2014 at 1:40 am)ForumMember77 Wrote:
(October 1, 2014 at 1:28 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I thought I would put this out there for the real English folk on this forum. How many English (country) accents are there. From the the people I have come across working customer service and playing MMOs there seems to be three. The traditional London type accent, the new castle type accent which is lighter but spoken fast, and the Oxford style, which is the brand Dawkins and hit hens and many academics seem to portray. What do the actual British people here think?

There's not very many British people in Britain as far as I am aware, whenever I go to London to meet my sister we play spot the white guy.

And the accents aren't much better, we often joke that if you were drowning in a canal and screaming for help you would be lucky if anyone spoke enough English to understand.

Britons are where the cultural borders of the Celts overlapped with the Romans, so Welsh people are British also. Scottish too.

I can't stop thinking about that Monty Python sketch now, where King Arthur travels around telling everyone he's 'King of the Britons'.

I'm well aware of this, just I wanted to be clear I was referring to accents from England, not all the ones in the English language.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Non-English person here (Kraut disklaimer),

So you covered Geordies and Cockney (broadly)? What else...the Brummie accent maybe, in Buhminghm. The Manchester area and merseyside seems distinct (think Brian Cox Big Grin)

If England is anything like Germany though (in this respect), there sure are dozens more. Aren't there some areas which sound similar to (have preserved) American style pronunciation as well? I thought Id read something to that effect
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

There are more than 3 accents. Every town has a different accent and can differ wildly over short distances. For instance Liverpool and Manchester are only 30 miles way and sound completely different, and Coventry and Birmingham are the same. You can even spot someone who comes from the town next to us by their accent.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_l...in_England
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8mzWkuOxz8
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 909 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How Americans view the British Cod 81 6217 December 26, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Speaking of accents Foxaèr 14 1896 June 3, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Quick poll: Are you British? Edwardo Piet 65 9617 April 4, 2017 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  British people - Thinking about emigrating... Dystopia 26 4007 August 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  British royal family = BORING paulpablo 48 15094 July 24, 2013 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  British £2 Coin Darwinian 8 2988 August 15, 2010 at 7:45 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Understanding the British. Dotard 47 12358 June 30, 2010 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Loki_999