Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of accents
Speaking of accents
Why does it seem easier for non-American speakers to properly learn an American accent than for a American people to learn other accents?

I'm basing this on what I've witnessed through cinema.
RE: Speaking of accents
Because a smart can pretend to be dumb but not the other way round!

Alright, don't get your knickers in a knot, I'm only half joking....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Then I'll half smack your ass.
(June 2, 2018 at 10:43 pm)Kit Wrote: Why does it seem easier for non-American speakers to properly learn an American accent than for a American people to learn other accents?

Television and movies.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(June 2, 2018 at 10:55 pm)Kit Wrote: Then I'll half smack your ass.

Meet me in the middle? Naughty hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 2, 2018 at 11:36 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(June 2, 2018 at 10:43 pm)Kit Wrote: Why does it seem easier for non-American speakers to properly learn an American accent than for a American people to learn other accents?

Television and movies.

I think this nails it.  The US is the world's biggest exporter of filmed entertainment, so the rest of us are more exposed to it than you lot are to ours.  Hugh Laurie, for one, said that an American accent was difficult for him, but he learned it by watching American television.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Most of the people on tv with an american affectation speak neutral, north regional, or north/midland hybrid...and they still sound a little off.  Like they come from nowhere in particular.  Hugh Laurie is a great example of that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 3, 2018 at 2:58 am)Khemikal Wrote: Most of the people on tv with an american affectation speak neutral, north regional, or north/midland hybrid...and they still sound a little off.  Like they come from nowhere in particular.  Hugh Laurie is a great example of that.

They certainly don't sound like New Englanders, that's for sure.

Not all of us sound that exaggerated, but, yeah...

Well, CapnAwesome and Boru got a big chunk of it in that we are the principle exporters of filmed entertainment.

Something you should know though, is there is no such thing as an 'American Accent'. Our accent differs wildly from area to area. I am from the state of Massachusetts and grew up there but I retain little of the accent common in that area because I haven't lived there since the early 1980s. The accent from Boston to New York to the deep south to Texas to California to Wisconsin is quite different.

America is not a monolithic culture but a collection of sub-cultures.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Unless an actor is trying to portray someone with an accent, eg: a southener, etc why do most American actors have a neutral American accent?

EG: I can't even tell any real difference between our Aussies, eg: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and most other Americans actors.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speaking of Betelguise..... onlinebiker 2 364 January 5, 2020 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Technically speaking onlinebiker 20 2110 August 15, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  Why I am so passionate about speaking out against feminism. Bad Wolf 138 15349 October 9, 2014 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Keri
  British accents Lemonvariable72 5 1444 October 1, 2014 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Bad Wolf
  Speaking of drugs... Heir Apparent 17 2795 September 29, 2013 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Heir Apparent
  Speaking of guns popeyespappy 22 5222 December 17, 2012 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Speaking of software with features of dubious merit popeyespappy 1 1181 April 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Rhythm! This is your empress speaking! Violet 0 913 February 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Violet