Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:09 am

Poll: Theists, what's been experience with atheists been like here?
This poll is closed.
I find 100% of posts addressed to me by atheists to be respectful.
5.00%
1 5.00%
I find around 75% of posts addressed to me by atheists to be respectful.
15.00%
3 15.00%
I find around 50% of posts addressed to me by atheists to be respectful.
15.00%
3 15.00%
I find around 25% of posts addressed to me by atheists to be respectful.
0%
0 0%
I have never had a respectful post addressed to me on these forums.
0%
0 0%
I myself am usually respectful toward atheists.
20.00%
4 20.00%
I myself am occasionally provocative toward atheists.
20.00%
4 20.00%
I myself am often provocative toward atheists.
5.00%
1 5.00%
I myself am occasionally disrespectful toward atheists.
5.00%
1 5.00%
I myself am usually disrespectful toward atheists.
0%
0 0%
I enjoy interacting with atheists.
15.00%
3 15.00%
It is more a duty than a joy interacting with atheists.
0%
0 0%
I generally do not enjoy interacting with atheists.
0%
0 0%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local theists, how do you feel about atheists?
Local theists, how do you feel about atheists?
I would like to offer evidence that atheists are not all angry and hateful toward believers. Many times new theist posters will come here ready for a fight believing that we will hate them and misuse them because of their beliefs. The evidence of this poll is that the vast majority endorse respectful treatment of theists.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-28873.html

But now I'm wondering how well our intentions are manifesting in our actions and words on this site. So here is a poll for theists to describe the treatment they experience here. Don't be shy. We won't bite (or, if we do, it won't have been our intention Big Grin ).

Your choices:

I find 100% of posts addressed to me by atheists to be respectful.

I find around 75% of posts addressed to me by atheists to be respectful.

I find around 50% of posts addressed to me by atheists to be respectful.

I find around 25% of posts addressed to me by atheists to be respectful.

I have never had a respectful post addressed to me on these forums.

To provide some contrast, how would you describe your own actions/words addressed to atheists.

Usually respectful.

Occasionally provocative.

Often provocative.

Occasionally disrespectful.

Usually disrespectful.

Finally, how do you like interacting with atheists generally? It would be interesting to know why if you feel like elaborating.

Generally, I like interacting with atheists

It is something I feel duty bound to do.

I generally don't like atheists.

Okay, I'll stop there. Please check as many as apply for you and feel free to clarify or offer alternative statements that fit better in the comments section. Do know that I prefer to make all polls public.
RE: Local theists, how do you feel about atheists?
I find that people are constantly using insulting language, although I can ignore that. Some are indeed just outright disrespectful. Doggedly. And that's kinda frustrating. I try and try with that person but there's no getting through. Then there's the hip shooters. Those can be easily ignored. It's certainly a waste of time engaging in 99% of cases. Some people when engaged get frustrated and evolve into twisted beasts lol. I enjoy being provocative sometimes. Someone repped me saying that I like winding people up, and that's true. One last thing, I do sometimes find it to be quite negative/ soul destroying here, so have to take a break. I love having great conversations here and it's usually a bad encounter that leads to me wiping the site from my bookmarks. Smile ... Only to magically resurrect Levitate
I don't find many atheists angry or hateful, Whateverist. Some can be, but I think that's generally uncommon, and behind anger there is usually a story. I do find the majority of atheists very preachy though :-)
(October 2, 2014 at 5:07 pm)Michael B Wrote: I don't find many atheists angry or hateful, Whateverist. Some can be, but I think that's generally uncommon, and behind anger there is usually a story. I do find the majority of atheists very preachy though :-)

Well, I am here. I don't go door to door or try to convince my relatives. But you all come in don't ya see?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I find the tenor of the rhetoric has as much to do with the strength of disagreement as anything. Any time you have a heated discussion, out come the invectives. It doesn't matter if it's theist and atheist, democrat and republican, or what. The few times I've been treated harshly is for criticizing an atheist's argument, usually for making unwarranted simplifications about religion.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Fuck 'em. They get one chance.
Nearly all of the female members are very polite, and will discuss respectfully. I guess it's a male thing. If someone flies in and makes insulting and ignorant noises then they deserve that reflecting back at them. The nature of this site means that this difficult subject gets addressed when, for me at least, it doesn't in real life. Well very rarely. Personally I sicken of both Christian (I don't see other theist representation) and atheist propaganda shoved in my face on places like Facebook. I just don't want to know.
(October 2, 2014 at 6:02 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Nearly all of the female members are very polite, and will discuss respectfully. I guess it's a male thing. If someone flies in and makes insulting and ignorant noises then they deserve that reflecting back at them. The nature of this site means that this difficult subject gets addressed when, for me at least, it doesn't in real life. Well very rarely. Personally I sicken of both Christian (I don't see other theist representation) and atheist propaganda shoved in my face on places like Facebook. I just don't want to know.

Naw, don't blame maleness. I may be the one female you consider rude, but while many Christian males (not all here are polite) we have a couple rude Christian woman from time to time.

I think Rasetsu is right, it's often the complete disagreement that rankles as much as the tone.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I don't consider you to be rude at all Jenny. Disagreement is perfectly OK. Degenerating into insults and name calling is leaked frustration.
i wish i had atheist friend in real life. Because you can freely talking about God w/ No Offense, and they are somehow such logical. It's nice.
I have funny short story : i was having conv w/ my Boyfriend(he's christian).
He said he always feels sleepy, unexcited, and enervate. I spontaneously answer maybe because you have no sufficient money(w/ LoL), it's a power of money, and he sudden replied, no..the most powerful is Invocation, i believe in my Lord. and i was like.. WTF ??!! LoL. Well shortly what i mean is.. we're in joke-conversations but it's such damn RIDICULOUS to drive thing become religious. i'm a muslim which do praying but i just dont limit myself to explore science/philosophy against religion/my Lord. at least that's what avicenna did.

it aint easy to find atheist in my home country., wish i could find someday. Angel Cloud

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you feel about all these creationists? suddenlymark 32 3302 August 15, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 39931 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16990 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16718 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11556 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7409 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7753 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How Do Christians Feel About the Testimony of Muslims and Vice Versa? Rhondazvous 24 4537 September 22, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 101455 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2698 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain