Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 3 Dawkins Books
Top 3 Dawkins Books
I figured that this would be the best forum to post this in, even though I already own The God Delusion, specifically since this forum relates to books (even though I'm not looking for atheist books in particular).

I'm going shopping later today and I'm gonna stop by Barnes and Noble and pick up some Dawkins books (biology is my favorite science/educational subject besides psychology), and I was wondering which books by Dawkins you would recommend. I'm looking into The Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker, Unweaving the Rainbow, and The Greatest Show on Earth (although I preferably would like to wait for the latter to be out in resold paperback, rather than trade paperback/hardcover). So, what are your suggestions?
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes Religion."
-Steven Weinberg
RE: Top 3 Dawkins Books
That is four books.
Selfish Gene for sure, the other two are fairly basic so if you already know a bit about bio maybe skip. But if I had to choose one, Watchmaker is it.

I would also recommend "Evolution" by Donald Prothero in place of the two.
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
(January 29, 2010 at 2:22 pm)Synackaon Wrote: That is four books.
I know how to count.

I was simply making a list of possible purchases, and then the people who have actually read them could break down which books are most worth a read.
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes Religion."
-Steven Weinberg
I agree with Prothero on Evolution. For Dawkins I'd suggest "The blind watchmaker" or "Climbing mount improbable".
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'm back... sadly the selection was relatively slim. They had about four or five books by Dawkins; the two I purchased were The Selfish Gene and The Blind Watchmaker.

@leo: Climbing Mount Improbable looked interesting to me online, and if they had it I would have probably considered purchasing it. Sadly, the "local" Barnes and Noble wasn't too big on selection... I might try Borders next time.
-Steven Weinberg
I saw Dawkins himself write on his RDF forums (to paraphrase: ) that he believes that 'Climbing Mount Improbable' is actually a better book than 'The Blind Watchmaker' (according to him), and that he thinks he might attribute the greater success of 'The Blind Watchmaker' to perhaps a superior title. And that it is of course really the content and not the title that matters.

EvF
I've heard a similar consensus around the net (primarily lurking his forums and Amazon). I definitely want both of his other books, but store didn't have them, I didn't have the money in my pocket to purchase them all, and I would feel a bit uncomfortable walking up to the register with 10 or so Dawkins books, being that it would be socially abnormal being a 16 year old who doesn't fit the typical stereotype of "glasses, acne, internet-freak, ugly, etc."

...also I don't buy hardcover, so I have to wait some months for The Greatest Show On Earth, which supposedly is a really good one.
-Steven Weinberg

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1038 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Abba return to UK top 10 after 40 years... Duty 10 1199 September 11, 2021 at 6:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Your favourite books/author The Valkyrie 50 2627 April 28, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Most Awful Books Ever The Architect Of Fate 18 1400 June 19, 2020 at 3:45 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  atheism books recommendations WolfsChild 8 970 May 24, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Top Jazz artist I love.. Brian37 8 868 December 9, 2018 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Books Icy 55 4324 November 27, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  20 books considered the worst Foxaèr 29 4481 July 21, 2018 at 3:05 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Let's Talk About Books Shell B 65 7532 January 22, 2018 at 1:12 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 755 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr