Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Jazz artist I love..
Top Jazz artist I love..
My #1 favorite. 

And David Sanborn.

And Candy Dulfer

And another one.

RE: Top Jazz artist I love..

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 7, 2018 at 7:11 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:

mmmm... Strange Fruit always brings me out in goosbumps
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(December 7, 2018 at 7:11 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:

Admittedly these are the very first two songs from her I listened to. They have a very swanky sultry but sad tone to them. I like them, but does she have more upbeat songs? I listened to them, loved them, they remind me of every old black and white love/drama movie with a character sitting at an iron key Royal Typewriter typing a dear John note, or detective trying to figure out who murdered their love, in film Noir.

GOOD STUFF, thanks for posting.
(December 8, 2018 at 5:33 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Admittedly these are the very first two songs from her I listened to. They have a very swanky sultry but sad tone to them. I like them, but does she have more upbeat songs? I listened to them, loved them, they remind me of every old black and white love/drama movie with a character sitting at an iron key Royal Typewriter typing a dear John note, or detective trying to figure out who murdered their love, in film Noir.

GOOD STUFF, thanks for posting.

Holy fuuuuuuu, THANKS JOR! Really love "Ain't Nobody's Business". I can't believe I never got into this before. GREAT STUFF!
(December 9, 2018 at 7:14 am)Brian37 Wrote: Holy fuuuuuuu, THANKS JOR! Really love "Ain't Nobody's Business".  I can't believe I never got into this before. GREAT STUFF!

I don't know if you do drama, but a good introduction to her work is the film Lady Sings The Blues starring Diana Ross and Billy Dee Williams. Ross does a great job with both the singing and the acting. A good starter set would be the two disc Best Of Verve collection. It's from later in her career and so is less standard filled than other collections, but the quality of the recording is excellent and the lady is still in fine form.
I love Billie Holiday

Thanks for sharing this Brian. ❤️
If you have to lie to bolster your argument, it’s time to rethink the validity of the argument.  
And now to end the discussion:

The generally assumed best piece by The Duke:

And thrill as The Duke and his tenor saxophonist Paul Gonsalves prove that, yes, a big band orchestra can remain relevant in the days of smaller groups and more experimental music:

And now, for the (second) best of his collaborative albums:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 971 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Abba return to UK top 10 after 40 years... Duty 10 1130 September 11, 2021 at 6:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  David and San Jazz ith. Brian37 20 846 November 20, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Name me an artist you wish you'd never heard of. onlinebiker 21 1883 May 1, 2020 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Name me an artist who didn't get the fame Brian37 50 3059 May 1, 2020 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Being a Big Band/Contemp Jazz & Metallica fan... Brian37 5 944 April 15, 2018 at 4:06 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  One of the world's top drum companies wants to endorse me. Banjo 14 2051 August 10, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Jazz thread..........All types....... Brian37 20 1994 April 15, 2016 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Reforged
  Blues and Jazz discussion thread Alex K 18 4206 May 12, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Your top three rock/pop musicians Razzle 75 12767 April 30, 2015 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Razzle