Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:22 am

Poll: What do you think of GMO's?
This poll is closed.
They're good and we need them
79.31%
23 79.31%
The science is still out and we need more research
10.34%
3 10.34%
They're more harmful than they're worth and we should do away with them
10.34%
3 10.34%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of GMO's?
What do you think of GMO's?
I'm having an argument on facebook with someone who's telling me how terri-bad GMO's are. Problem is, she keeps citing as sources sites like Natural News; it's nothing but naturalistic fallacy after naturalistic fallacy on these sites! Yet when I point out real science and real scientists on the subject, I'm accused of ignoring the science and not knowing what I'm talking about.

*Facepalm*

Seriously, what do the people here think of GMO's?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: What do you think of GMO's?
I don't know much about them.

The only argument I know that is against them is that Man shouldn't play god.
(October 12, 2014 at 12:49 pm)DramaQueen Wrote: I don't know much about them.

How would you define "playing god?"

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
It seems to me that all science is considered playing god by some people
Quote:How would you define "playing god?"

Doing nothing.
Sounds about right.

For me, the first thing that I think of when people complain abuot GMO's is that we use GMO bacteria to produce insulin for diabetic patients. If we do away with GMO's, a lot of diabetics are gonna die.

(October 12, 2014 at 12:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:How would you define "playing god?"

Doing nothing.

Not if you're a Christian. In that case, "playing god" includes killing people for the slightest offense. Read 2Kings 2:23-24 for an example.

(October 12, 2014 at 12:54 pm)DramaQueen Wrote: It seems to me that all science is considered playing god by some people

Those people are considered idiots by much better sorts of people.

(October 12, 2014 at 12:49 pm)DramaQueen Wrote: I don't know much about them.

No, men should get serious and be gods.
The anti-GMO crowd are the moon landing hoaxers of agriculture.

GMO's offer solutions for hunger, agricultural pollution, ecological damage, and economic destitution. They are tested rigorously, and in ways that most of the crops we grow have never been subjected to. They are safe, they are edible. There is no reasonable objection to GMO's themselves. While one might refer to the actions of the corporate giants that control the gmo seed - most of these stories are slightly less than factual as-told by the Anti-GMO crowd. Which is mystifying, because they're bad enough without embellishment.

We need more public funding for GMO research, and we need to insist that it produce public ip. Any sane food security policy would have to include this as a cornerstone. We should not be at the whims of random hybridization or individual farmers in search of the next robust grain cultivar, nor should this cultivar be the proprietary product of a single giant agribusiness. It's unfortunate, because alot of what fuels GMO Ag started out as research at public universities, but now we have a situation in which a few fairly unsavory corporate bodies have a deathgrip on what might be one of mankind's best ideas - in any field, of all time.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think the fear of GMOs is that the mods may interbreed with unmodified strains and weaken -- or homogenize -- the genome.

It seems like an unreasonable fear to me, but then again, most fears are unreasonable, right? I mean, you'd be hard-pressed to find a farmer interested in a modification which weakens his crop and impacts his bottom-line. The concern about homogeneity seems a little more rational, but even so, it's premised on the idea that GMOs would have vastly superior reproductive rates. It's my understanding that most mods are aimed at pestilence resistance.

Resistance is a broad category, so most enhancements would be along those lines. They also engineer for yield-directly, drought tolerance, and fertility requirements.
(and yes, often fertility as well, as when the seed -is- the crop, it's a yield enhancement)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GMO vs Organic scoobysnack 66 9330 March 23, 2016 at 7:43 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3316 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do you think there is a 'shadow biosphere'? ReptilianPeon 23 7392 July 30, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What do you think about Eugenics? Twisted 47 7674 June 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality pop_punks_not_dead 45 12611 February 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên