Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 7:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think there is a 'shadow biosphere'?
Do you think there is a 'shadow biosphere'?
What I mean is a tree of life entirely separate from the one humans are part of, but still located on Earth. If so, do you think it will any implications for religionists? After hearing about such a prospect I'm quite intrigued by the idea that there could be microbes out there that may not conform.

RE: Do you think there is a 'shadow biosphere'?
I am confused.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
How could we prove it hadn't come from our 'tree of life'? Especially if there had been crossbreeding.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
(July 30, 2015 at 4:03 am)Ashground Wrote: How could we prove it hadn't come from our 'tree of life'? Especially if there had been crossbreeding.

Well I was watching Thought The Wormhole, with Morgan Freeman, and there was speculation about microbes that really like Arsenic. This is normally poisonous to life and it lead into the question about life as we don't know it here on Earth. I can't remember which episode it was though.

(July 30, 2015 at 4:10 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote:
(July 30, 2015 at 4:03 am)Ashground Wrote: How could we prove it hadn't come from our 'tree of life'? Especially if there had been crossbreeding.

Well I was watching Thought The Wormhole, with Morgan Freeman, and there was speculation about microbes that really like Arsenic. This is normally poisonous to life and it lead into the question about life as we don't know it here on Earth. I can't remember which episode it was though.

Well it makes a good hypothetical question at least. I vaguely remember something about life which isn't effected by arsenic but honestly didn't pay much attention.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
(July 30, 2015 at 3:54 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: What I mean is a tree of life entirely separate from the one humans are part of, but still located on Earth. If so, do you think it will any implications for religionists? After hearing about such a prospect I'm quite intrigued by the idea that there could be microbes out there that may not conform.

Its quiet likely. Blows the living fuck out of those of mathematical creationist arguments as it would mean life form twice (atleast). I think this is a good read here 
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...en-we-die/
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I have no idea.

I have often wondered if our perception of "forms of life" is very limited, especially by what we're actually able to detect. There could be loads of other forms of life all around us that we have no clue even exists. And life in other parts of the universe could take very different forms.

It's all speculation on my part of course.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think if there was, it got eaten by ours, either bc it came later and we had an evolutionary advantage, or it arose earlier but was less efficient.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(July 30, 2015 at 4:45 am)robvalue Wrote: I have no idea.

I have often wondered if our perception of "forms of life" is very limited, especially by what we're actually able to detect. There could be loads of other forms of life all around us that we have no clue even exists. And life in other parts of the universe could take very different forms.

It's all speculation on my part of course.

Well it's not entirely speculation. Wasn't that long ago historically that no-one realized we were surrounded by tiny forms of life called bacteria and viruses. Can't wait to see under the ice crust of Europa to see if there are microbial colonies there

It would have a different system of inheritance (no DNA or RNA or plausibly related structures). One could maybe not ever definitely prove that this other life strand and us didn't still come from the same abiogenesis and split super early, but I'm no expert. Maybe with a second tree of life one could try develop a joint abiogenesis and see how far one gets... And if one fails, tentatively call it a separate tree of life.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3325 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What do you think about Eugenics? Twisted 47 7801 June 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What do you think of GMO's? TaraJo 72 8160 January 4, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality pop_punks_not_dead 45 12655 February 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên